close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

west branch

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by fish master, Jan 18, 2009.

1. fish master

fish master 2005 senior member

is there another name for west branch? cant find lake maps on it..

2. michael j. kirwan reservoir. is the other name

3. fish master

cool thanks i thought there was another name for it. once again thanks. fish master

4. fish master

anyone know of some good spots for crappie at wb? gps # would help.

5. that lake can be a tough lake to figure out..... people that know that lake have put in a lot of time and energy on figuring it out! not too many people are just gonna give out there honey holes.... all I can tell you is find some trees on some drop offs or channels close to weeds.... might even pick up an eye or two as well...

6. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

How far and through how thick of trees and brush are you willing to walk?

7. Staying safe and gettin too half your spots is a trick! Silver Cr is a safe bet. Close to the road too. Off the crampgrounds is another. Just inside Jay lake. Watch drillin alone the edges. ALOT of press is being applied by the ice. It can crack.

8. I started my day at west branch Sunday...noone out. I've never ice fished it so I didnt know where to go and I wasnt confident enough about the ice safety to find the better spots. Headed out from the boat launch, but only fished for an hour before heading to Mogadore. no bites

9. Safest place to fish early out there is off the ramps. Most walk out a hundred yards. Mostly the dam end but still they fish 15-20fow for eyes pumpin blades. More than one reason they walk straight out! Better ice forms over the dams.(preditcable) Once you drill a check hole you should be able to walk out pending.(cracks,wet spots,lake level,ice thickness)You want 4 clear.(dark) When I fish those lakes by myself you bet I DRILL alot of holes to check the ice as I go. I want to know were good ice is if I go through. Only takes a few feet to change and with the snow on it makes it even tougher.

10. fish master

went to west branch this morning went off of the rsr ramp about 100 yards good 5 to 6'' of good ice but on the other side of the bridge is slushie, stayed there about 2 hours with 2 good bites so we moved down the road to the lil pond , caught 2 nice gills then thats it, guess ill stick to skeeter seen noone on wb when we got there when we left seen 3 people. from what i seen the ice there is kinda iffy big diffrence in ice thickness. so just be cautious when your out there... fish master......