Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
9,693 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Guys, the “true striper” stocking program at West Branch was cancelled due to “Nobody reporting striper catches”! Almost All(true striper) fisherman decided they were going to keep their “fantastic, private fishing hole successes” QUIET and “to themselves or just between close friends”! This back-fired!
The Div. of Fisheries is starting to think their walleye stocking efforts at WB are “not producing/No Feedback”(just as they did “when the plug was pulled” at Nimi)! Now(I know!) there are good walleye anglers catching them at WB! and trying to keep it quite! so please go to the baitshop’s for some photos, Post on here, or other sites, call the Div 3 offices with reports, etc?!? Better to “share the wealth”-than to do Nothing! They are right now at 9 on a 10 Scale for “cancelling walleye stocking“ at West Branch! Don’t let this happen again!

·
Registered
3,296 Posts
I've been wanting to fish for them at west branch this year. Only got there once. Just been too busy with life. Caught 1 small walleye and a nice catfish. It's big enough and deep enough that it should have walleye stocked in it. Especially with the natural reproduction!

·
Angry hillbilly
1,427 Posts
Not enough bait fish but this year there was ! I would rather have eyes stocked they do reproduce there! Stop stocking the skies or the strippers can’t have them compete with the bass crappie and eyes for 2 bait fish

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
There is a pole by the concrete boat ramps that has information cards, fill them out I was told they help. Guy at district 3 told me westbranch has to submit paperwork to request stocking, don't quite sound right but that's what I was told from them. All my years fishing westbranch there seems to be a pretty healthy population of walleye in there, have been catching quite a few this year on the smaller side, nice to see.

Sent from my SM-G981U using Tapatalk

·
redeye
777 Posts
Not enough bait fish but this year there was ! I would rather have eyes stocked they do reproduce there! Stop stocking the skies or the strippers can’t have them compete with the bass crappie and eyes for 2 bait fish
What's wrong with strippers? It's only a dollar! I think the world needs MORE strippers!

·
SOLID MEAT
5,759 Posts
There is a pole by the concrete boat ramps that has information cards, fill them out I was told they help. Guy at district 3 told me westbranch has to submit paperwork to request stocking, don't quite sound right but that's what I was told from them. All my years fishing westbranch there seems to be a pretty healthy population of walleye in there, have been catching quite a few this year on the smaller side, nice to see.

from my understanding, westbranch received supplemental stockings, which equates to extra fry once Mosquito, berlin, and Milton are stocked in the area. Pymatuning also gets some as well as one or two southern lakes. IMO, I just dont see the benefit of stocking them in west branch. There is high predation from muskie, the lake is very busy, and overall, it fishes much bigger in the spring than what it is. There aren't massive weed beds or large flats with stumps that are easier to fish like mosquito, it doesn't have the history like Berlin does, and it doesn't have the large residential influence like Milton. West branch is a wonderful lake, but it just won't have the returns like those other lakes.

·
Registered
1,236 Posts
Westbranch is a very challenging lake to fish, I personally think it's overstocked with musky. It's a awesome lake to explore when it's iced covered, punch enough holes and do a alot of walking you will find some.pretty nice walleye in that lake.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
When I bought my first john boat I fished WB often with walleyes being my target species. I was pleasantly surprised with little homework on the lake and some good ol' fashioned jig and minnow how successful I was at catching eyes. I will say the talk about them being caught in WB is pretty quiet.

Someone mentioned it earlier here but some lakes do have surveys at the ramps you can take on some species. Example is Chippewa Lake in Medina has been stocking saugeye over the past decade. I am sure to fill it out because having that fishery close to where I live is a privilege and hope they continue the program. It is good to speak up!

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,526 Posts
All Ohio lakes are are stocked approximately 1 musky per surface acre- FYI- Muskies diet is mainly shad, do they eat a variety of things yes but in our lakes Shad are #1 as far as diet goes.FYI

guys who have put in the time in to catch walleye at branch can catch them, I am not one of them as my target species is musky. The lake being so close to Erie, if guys want walleye why not fish Erie? (unless they are small boat guys or maybe get sea sick or maybe they like the challenge) IDK but due to how tricky they are, guys walleye fish elsewhere, mosquito, berlin, milton etc.

·
Registered
228 Posts
Guys, the “true striper” stocking program at West Branch was cancelled due to “Nobody reporting striper catches”! Almost All(true striper) fisherman decided they were going to keep their “fantastic, private fishing hole successes” QUIET and “to themselves or just between close friends”! This back-fired!
The Div. of Fisheries is starting to think their walleye stocking efforts at WB are “not producing/No Feedback”(just as they did “when the plug was pulled” at Nimi)! Now(I know!) there are good walleye anglers catching them at WB! and trying to keep it quite! so please go to the baitshop’s for some photos, Post on here, or other sites, call the Div 3 offices with reports, etc?!? Better to “share the wealth”-than to do Nothing! They are right now at 9 on a 10 Scale for “cancelling walleye stocking“ at West Branch! Don’t let this happen again!
Plenty of eyes in WB. Catch them near the dam alot. Especially in early spring and fall. Caught one earlier off knapp rd in the shallows. Catch about 20 a yr in the branch. I think the lake will be fine as far as eyes.
Water Vertebrate Plant Fisherman Fish

·
Registered
532 Posts
Muskies are fun but I think they eat a lot of bass and crappie in West Branch.They just stocked more so there's going to be more predators.I wish West Branch had huge weed beds.The Portrage Lakes has tons of tournaments and a lot of fishing pressure a lot of pan fish and bait fish.Weeds,weeds,weeds,home for young fish and bait fish.Is it possible to plant weeds in a lake like West Branch? Just a thought.

·
redeye
777 Posts
Muskies are fun but I think they eat a lot of bass and crappie in West Branch.They just stocked more so there's going to be more predators.I wish West Branch had huge weed beds.The Portrage Lakes has tons of tournaments and a lot of fishing pressure a lot of pan fish and bait fish.Weeds,weeds,weeds,home for young fish and bait fish.Is it possible to plant weeds in a lake like West Branch? Just a thought.
WB is usually pretty muddy water, especially compared to PL. That inhibits weed growth. Maybe if someone added some zebra muscles they would filter the water like in LE and then the weeds would grow in deeper water because of better light penetration creating a larger weed biomass.

·
just 1 more cast!!!
2,671 Posts
A few years ago I had a good night in the late fall right before a front blew through. I was over by the dam at dusk. Threw an hj 8 at humps and shallow areas near drop offs. Caught 7 if I remember right. Some toads too. I posted up on this site with a bunch of detailed info including circled areas of each hot spot. Walleye in every inland lake do the same thing each season...just gotta figure out the spots they congregate at and where the bait is. Match what they eat and you'll catch them. That was the first time I ever fished west branch by boat. Trust your electronics

·
Bit by Musky bug
8,526 Posts
West branch has zebra muscles, as well as plenty of weeds, weed growth on a yearly basis is determined by draw down length and harshness of winter last two years has seen less weeds. I fish the lake a lot some of my favorite weed beds now suck or are nearly non existent but still plenty in the lake all over.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
A few years ago I had a good night in the late fall right before a front blew through. I was over by the dam at dusk. Threw an hj 8 at humps and shallow areas near drop offs. Caught 7 if I remember right. Some toads too. I posted up on this site with a bunch of detailed info including circled areas of each hot spot. Walleye in every inland lake do the same thing each season...just gotta figure out the spots they congregate at and where the bait is. Match what they eat and you'll catch them. That was the first time I ever fished west branch by boat. Trust your electronics
West branch walleye bonanza I believe is what it was lol I remember that post. Filled that cooler!

·
Registered
2,826 Posts
So you want to blab successful fishing so your good fishing is over run by media lurkers who put no time in trying, burning gas, leaving home to try? Why fish the lake and report for lazy lurking web fishermen to take advantage of your invested time, or hard earned success.? I don't get it. Has nothing to do with the DOW or Biologist. They test most, if not all the lakes.

·
Registered
1,085 Posts
So you want to blab successful fishing so your good fishing is over run by media lurkers who put no time in trying, burning gas, leaving home to try? Why fish the lake and report for lazy lurking web fishermen to take advantage of your invested time, or hard earned success.? I don't get it. Has nothing to do with the DOW or Biologist. They test most, if not all the lakes.
Yes...to an extent. I understand the frustration, trust me...I do. The last couple years have been a challenge to fight off the lazy, media lurking fisherman, hunt down tackle that is otherwise plentiful but lacking from the pandemic, a challenge to find new spots that aren't overrun by others. However, it took a while to admit, but it could be for the better. More fisherman to purchase licenses, support mom and pop local bait stores, create a new passion for some, and with the right minds and people we can make an outstanding fishery here in Ohio (aside from just Lake Erie).

It is a double edged sword. The selfishness in us want's nobody else to fish. But that isn't reality. The more we can promote the conservation and proper fishing etiquette, the better we can make it for the rest of us. Just FYI - nobody on here is sharing specifics, just sharing their success. Disagree if you want....you're certainly entitled to your opinion. Just sharing mine.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts