Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 20 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Jack Kiser, a pretty well-known local outdoor writer, wrote a Fishing Lake forecast and rating 1-5(by species) for NE Ohio inland lakes for the Ravenna Record Courier Sunday. Interestingly, he ranked West Branch #1 for Walleye and said it has Become the pre-emminent Best walleye "inland" lake in the State for walleye! Might not be exact wording but that's the gist of it. It may be, but not sure exactly what his justification would be. The lake is "difficult" to target walleye, and if people are catching them, they're sure keeping it to themselves! Maybe a "Good" thing! I think he's a member here, perhaps he'll chime in?

·
Registered
4,151 Posts
Those write ups in the courier about local lake fishing Are a joke . Every year it’s about the same wording on area lakes, example trout off the pump house at Hodgson, I read those articles for the past years and only a few things change every year it’s printed. Back in the day bill gressard was the outdoor writer and had good reading. Granted west branch has decent walleye, but Lake Erie is # 1 in the state.. ok off my soapbox..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
1,565 Posts
Those write ups in the courier about local lake fishing Are a joke . Every year it’s about the same wording on area lakes, example trout off the pump house at Hodgson, I read those articles for the past years and only a few things change every year it’s printed. Back in the day bill gressard was the outdoor writer and had good reading. Granted west branch has decent walleye, but Lake Erie is # 1 in the state.. ok off my soapbox..

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk[/QUOTE
When did Erie become an inland lake in Ohio? ;)

·
catchin my own bait since 1957
1,228 Posts

you're not wrong, those "exclusive, breaking reports" are recycled since about 1970, I have old books and mags which have the same stuff since then ... those writers like to write an article, tweak about 20 words every now and then and release it as new, the authors names are withheld to protect the innocent :p the super hot lake, secret spots and special techniques for every month that are published in Ohio Game and Fish each spring haven't changed in 40 years, Maumee river in April, Sandusky Bay for cats, hell, I bet someone is writing about the great bite in LaDont :D I bet this years match mine from about 1980 almost word for word ... I quit buying most mags and papers because they just recycle old news ...
you're not wrong, those "exclusive, breaking reports" are recycled since about 1970, I have old books and mags which have the same stuff since then ... those writers like to write an article, tweak about 20 words every now and then and release it as new, the authors names are withheld to protect the innocent :p the super hot lake, secret spots and special techniques for every month that are published in Ohio Game and Fish each spring haven't changed in 40 years, Maumee river in April, Sandusky Bay for cats, hell, I bet someone is writing about the great bite in LaDont :D I bet this years match mine from about 1980 almost word for word ... I quit buying most mags and papers because they just recycle old news ...[/QUOTE]

·
Registered
574 Posts
I like the guy, he had a fishing show for a bit. I do think that he just calls the bait shops that he lists with reports. He is also quite the poet.

MUSKIE

5. Lake Erie: Attention recently attributed to Bass Islands muskies long overdue. Middle Bass the standout.

4. Tappan Dam: Overlooked but some biggies lurk here.

3. Milton: Good population in the river.

2. Leesville Lake: Long a regular stop on the muskie circuits.

1. West Branch: Nowadays generally conceded to be the Buckeye State’s premier muskie destination.

CRAPPIE

5. Portage Lakes: Good numbers of decent size in backbays and the Boneyard.

4. Mogadore: With a dearth of shoreline cover, local sticks focus on vertical jigging deeper areas off islands.

3. Berlin Reservoir: Very popular spring and fall destination for its impressive numbers of true slabs.

2. West Branch: Edges out nearby Berlin based on a terrific 2019.

1. Mosquito: Old adage that the average crappie here outweighs the average walleye carries some weight. Pikie Bay and Cemetery region remain favorites.

WALLEYE

5. Mosquito: Chronic and consistent overstocking has resulted in notoriously stunted population.

4. Milton: Trolling crawler harnesses near the dam a popular approach.

3. Berlin: Problem here is narrowing down this huge inland fishery to productive stretches.

2. West Branch: Arguably the state’s best inland walleye destination. Nearby Mark’s Bait & Tackle is a reliable source of current info.

1. Lake Erie: All indications are we stand on the precipice of Lake Erie’s best walleye angling since the glory years of the 1980s. Plethora of undersized spikes must be tolerated until then.

·
Registered
9,658 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I like the guy, he had a fishing show for a bit. I do think that he just calls the bait shops that he lists with reports. He is also quite the poet.

MUSKIE

5. Lake Erie: Attention recently attributed to Bass Islands muskies long overdue. Middle Bass the standout.

4. Tappan Dam: Overlooked but some biggies lurk here.

3. Milton: Good population in the river.

2. Leesville Lake: Long a regular stop on the muskie circuits.

1. West Branch: Nowadays generally conceded to be the Buckeye State’s premier muskie destination.

CRAPPIE

5. Portage Lakes: Good numbers of decent size in backbays and the Boneyard.

4. Mogadore: With a dearth of shoreline cover, local sticks focus on vertical jigging deeper areas off islands.

3. Berlin Reservoir: Very popular spring and fall destination for its impressive numbers of true slabs.

2. West Branch: Edges out nearby Berlin based on a terrific 2019.

1. Mosquito: Old adage that the average crappie here outweighs the average walleye carries some weight. Pikie Bay and Cemetery region remain favorites.

WALLEYE

5. Mosquito: Chronic and consistent overstocking has resulted in notoriously stunted population.

4. Milton: Trolling crawler harnesses near the dam a popular approach.

3. Berlin: Problem here is narrowing down this huge inland fishery to productive stretches.

2. West Branch: Arguably the state’s best inland walleye destination. Nearby Mark’s Bait & Tackle is a reliable source of current info.

1. Lake Erie: All indications are we stand on the precipice of Lake Erie’s best walleye angling since the glory years of the 1980s. Plethora of undersized spikes must be tolerated until then.
Thx for posting this, stix. To those who are cynical, take it for what It's worth(to you)! The guy probably fishes more than the majority of us(anybody who can target SM and Northerns of good proportions in the Cuyahoga(and have success), must know a bit more than the average Joe! If I was new to the area and wanted to target a specific species, this article would be a terrific starting point!

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Just my 2 cents about information coming from Jack. I grew up in the Falls as a kid with him as the local bait shop owner. He used to tell us that he caught so many walleye out of the Cuyahoga that they were a nuisance to him. I've caught one walleye in the Akron area of the Hoga and my brother caught 1 walleye out of the Hoga in MANY years of fishing it and fishing it hard.
Another tip he gave us kids was to try fishing the middle of Punderson deep when ice fishing for trout because they hold deep there in the winter...... I could list a few other things but im sure you get it. Yeah,Jacks been around a while but I'd prefer getting my regional updates from a guy under a bridge using a cane pole and canned corn.

·
Registered
3,287 Posts
I got one good tip from Jack about 20 years ago when I stopped to buy bait and saw a video he had showing on his TV behind the counter that showed a good spot for smallmouth on the river and them catching fish. That has been my go to spot for 19 years now!

I too have only caught 1 walleye in the river in many years of fishing. That was just last year!

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
I got one good tip from Jack about 20 years ago when I stopped to buy bait and saw a video he had showing on his TV behind the counter that showed a good spot for smallmouth on the river and them catching fish. That has been my go to spot for 19 years now!

I too have only caught 1 walleye in the river in many years of fishing. That was just last year!
Used to fish one section that was super hard to get to and if you didnt know about it,well it was a great place for teenage kids to hangout,do teenage kids things and literally catch as many smallmouth,rockbass,channels,largemouth, carp and occasional pike as you want. Now that i look back,dang was that hard spot to get to and id never do that now that im fat and 40,lol. Also we would slay the pike up above monroe falls dam putting our jon boats in at middlebury road. Ive only fished the hoga a few times since back to Ohio.... But back to walleyes at W.B.... You really hear mixed reports about the eyes in there and i definitely wouldnt rate is as being a phenomenal lake for them. Some DNR guys will say its stocked occasionally and some will say its just leftover saugs and walls mixing together with small reproduction but extremely low targeting fishing pressure since nobody targets them there. Some friends have gotten a few and even 2's or 3's but ive never heard anything but stories regarding limits over the last 10 years.Who knows. When i go there i just target muskie exclusively.

·
Registered
1,077 Posts
Milton would be my 1st option, WB would be 2nd for walleyes. Persistence is what separates them. When I decided to pursuit walleye on WB, I put in a ton of time reading the maps and making a game plan, but keeping it simple - stupid. Simple presentations, prime times with consistent weather were in play, and walleye in the cooler.

April. Wind-swept points. Jig and minnow.

·
Banned
1,866 Posts
Milton would be my 1st option, WB would be 2nd for walleyes. Persistence is what separates them. When I decided to pursuit walleye on WB, I put in a ton of time reading the maps and making a game plan, but keeping it simple - stupid. Simple presentations, prime times with consistent weather were in play, and walleye in the cooler.

April. Wind-swept points. Jig and minnow.
The last time i targeted eyes at wb i got this guy on a jig and minnow on 4lb light. Thought i had a snag until it started swimming,lol. Never heard of flats in there until i got this one.

Attachments

·
Johnny tsunami
3,690 Posts
I'm still here, just went quiet for a spell...I'm still catching them. Rather my daughter is. Lol View attachment 357253

Sent from my moto g(6) play using Tapatalk
YOU TOOK MY SPOT!! THIEF THEIF haha nice work good to see someone is pulling some eyes haven't tried the shore game been chasing the crappie and trolling. P.s not a spot I've fished that I can think of but good sign they are hungry!

1 - 20 of 49 Posts