close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

West Branch (repost from wrong forum)

Discussion in 'Hard Water Discussions' started by icemanohio, Feb 2, 2005.

1. I am new to Ice fishing. I was wondering how the ice was at West Branch and where to fish there. Also how is fishing out there. I am taking my son out there Saturday, He is really excited, It is his second time going on the ice ( first time he caught nothing) and I would like to see him catch something.

Thanks for any replies and info.
    Matt

PS: Thanks HWF

2. A Buddy Of Mine Fished Picktrel Creek And The Ice Was 50/50. 3 Of Good And 3 Of Bad. Becarful! As Fur The Fish U Might Try The Dam If Its Froze. :)

3. We went out there today, there is a lot of good ice - probably at least 6". Didnt catch anything though but I did see a couple on the vex but they wouldnt bite.

4. With Section Of The Lake U Fish?

5. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

i heard from a 3rd party they were getting some crappie on the no wake end in the bays, but this is, of course, hear-say...

6. MIGHT HAVE TO TRY IT NEXT WEEK,BUT THATS ALOT OF ICE TO COVER.
    SOMETIMES IN THAT LAKE ITS MORE HUNTING SKILL THAN FISHIN TECH.
    IT DOES GET TOUGH. :cool:

7. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

i'll stick with mogadore

8. ITS TOO FAR FOR ME AND I DONT KNOW THE GROUND. :confused:
    I KNOW NEXT YEAR IM GETTIN A GPS TO MARK SPOTS TO DRILL. EVEN A GOOD MAP ITS TOUGH TO LOCATE DEEP STUMPS.

9. Be careful out there. The water levels go up and down and can make for dangerous situations.

If there's any info you need about getting to or fishing other water in NE Ohio, let me know and I'll put you on the fish.

10. West Branch can be treacherous. Although there is a lot of good ice there I would take my boy somewhere else. I would put WB in a second place tie with Berlin as having the most unpredictable ice. The first, (hands down), is Summit lake. Kids usually don't really care if the fish are all that big, they just need action, so I would take him to Congress lake road, (east end of Mogadore). Finding fish at WB can be real tough and with a lot of walking around, you may find some iffy ice. At least stay away from the bridge areas and cut test holes close to shore. Sometimes the water can drop and there will be a gap between the ice and the surface of the water, or so they say. Better safe than sorry, especially with the little ones.

11. Both Are Very Dangerous! Unless U Are Very Experience On Ice And
    Know The Lake By The Back Of Your Hand Its Almost Sensless. :)
    If U Look Under The 224 Bridge At Berlin U Can See The Broken Ice On The Shore First Hand That Water Levels Do Change. One Week Ago There Was Open Water From The Campgrounds To The Bridge. Every Day Presents Its New Challenges On The Same Ice. Were Lucky To Have A Couple Lakes To Ice Fish. I Heard They Were Still Having
    Bad Ice At Pymy From The Dnr. I Think Id Take His Avise Also. :)

12. thanks for all the advise. Maybe I should take him to Mosquito Lake if thats any better.
    I was there 3 weeks ago and with all the snow we had gotten the ice was only 3 inches. Or if anyone knows of a nice place around the Stow area I could go to.

thanks
    Matt

13. AndroDoug

AndroDoug Duke of Bucketmouth

Mogadore, Mogadore, Mogadore! From Stow go to rte 43 in Kent and take it all the way through Brimfield and about a mile or 2 out of town to Old Forge rd. There is a traffic light there and there are large farms on two corners. Hang a left and take Old Forge to Congress Lake road, which is about a mile further and only goes right. Another mile or so down Congress Lake raod and you will hit the lake. There are places to park on both sides of the causeway. Tons of panfish in this area and some of the safest ice in the area. It will only take you 20 minutes from Stow and is in a very nice setting.

Have fun.

14. Hit Mogodore. Its close, seems to have safe ice now and if you hit it at the right time, you could get into some decent 'gills, crappie or perch (depending where you are). Its a great lake to get your kid started into ice fishing. :)