close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

West Branch Report

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by jetdrivr, Oct 21, 2004.

1. Oct 19, 2004. Lake to myself (nearly), spent most of the afternoon searching for walleye with absolutely no luck. All but gave up on fishing that day when I saw some baitfish being worked near shore. Pulled in little closer and started casting a shallow crank bait. Nice smallmouth on second cast. A few casts later, a nice largemouth. Then it shut down again. Oh well, sure was peaceful out there.
    Sure wish I could figure out the walleye in that lake...they just don't seem to respond to the typical fall fishing tactics.

2. Hey Jetdrivr, did they open up the east ramp (the one by the dam)? I have not been catching a lot of walleye but when I do I have been using spinner rigs with nightcrawers. Try fishing by the swim area and straight out from the east ramp along the weed edges in 14 to 16 foot of water. I might give it a try on Saturday if the wind and rain is not too bad.......JIM

3. I'm not sure about the ramp...no one was using it and it appeared like there was a county truck or something parked in the lot. Never got close enough to check it out. The Rock Springs ramp is open now and is in great shape. Thanks for the tips on the walleye. I will give it a try. Good luck on Saturday.

4. "J"

"J"

East ramp up by the dam is opened and paved. Fished out of it last Sunday. Cold as heck and wind blew ALL DAY LONG steady at 15 to 20 mph, man what a miserable day, but had a good steak dinner after wich made up for it. Fishing was very slow. "J"

5. Thanks "J", I like using the east ramp because I mostly fish by myself and there is plenty of room so other people can launch . The other ramp has a real short dock and it is hard for other boats to launch without hiting your boat when your docked at the end......JIM

6. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

...going to try to make it out early afternoon...east ramp...trolling east end for walleye. If you see me, stop and say "HI"...light tan Princecraft. First one to do so will get a free "Team OGF" 6x9 sticker. :D You obviously have to be a member to get the sticker. ;)

- Jim

7. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Rumi...if Erie is blowin too hard tomorrow, I'll be out on WB in the morning...let me know how ya do, and good luck man!

8. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Gotcha Shake. I'm trying to get away from this 'puter and yard. ;)

9. I'm heading out there tomorrow with cfish102 hunting for some crappie and yes, maybe even a musky. We'll see.

How did you guys do???

10. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Didn't get out of the yard unfortunately. Well I have off this Friday so here's hoping for good weather.;)

11. Fished West Branch from 7 am until 3:30 pm sat with only one 6 lb catfish to show for it (channel cat) out of three guys. Rolled one big one but never got it close to boat. Was a nice day to fish and listen to the Buckeyes.

12. Was out Sunday crappie fishing with cfish102. We caught about 20 or so crappies and gills. All were small.

Marked lots of fish, no real good biters though. Just picked through them.