Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 5 of 5 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife and I are going to head out on the water tomorrow and wanted some suggestions on whether to go out to West Branch or Berlin. We don't have much luck or experience at either and unless we catch walleye will be doing C&R. We just want to catch fish though. Mosquito has been disappointing and it's a drive from where we are so we are going to stick closer. We usually just drift and troll but on occasion will cast in areas that look good for muskie. Which lake do you all think we should hit, what areas, and depths. Don't need exact locations just want to look for and get some bites. Any info would be greatly appreciated.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Berlin is dropping, it is about 7 feet below summer pool. Reports have been hit or miss.

WB is dropping as well but not nearly the rate of Berlin and should not be an issue. However I have found WB to be a challenge as the fish move around a lot there but when you get into them they tend to be nice fish.

Have you considered Milton? Same neighborhood and the fishing seems to be more consistent. They have all the same species as the above and for me, it just seems to be more cooperative fishing wise.

Either way, good luck!

·
Registered
2,627 Posts
Actually the Corps of Engineers is dropping West Branch faster than Berlin right now. As far as which lake to visit, I'd say it depends a lot on what your skills and preferences as an angler are. If you like fishing shoreline cover and weeds, then West Branch would be your best choice. The water there is about 1.5' down. The lake has weeds as well as a lot of downed trees along its' shoreline. West Branch is also a lot prettier lake than Berlin is.

With the water level at Berlin right now........ as Louisvillefisherman said, its about 7' down right now. There isn't a whole lot of shoreline cover in the form of downed trees, that have water left in them. It's going to be fishing rock and gravel banks if you want to fish along the shore. Or fishing rock piles and drop offs that are out away from the bank. I would imagine that water levels would make trolling more of a necessity at Berlin, than it would be at West Branch right now.

For me personally, I would hands down choose West Branch over Berlin for every species but walleye. If you're primarily after walleye, I'd pick Berlin over West Branch. If you are after anything else I'd go to West Branch. It just has a lot more possibilities when it comes to different types of cover to fish.

Good luck with whichever lake you choose.

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Actually going a Milton instead. I know not the lakes I asked about but the bite seems better there from what some friends are saying. Thanks for the tips though, I'll keep them in mind if we head out next weekend.

1 - 5 of 5 Posts