Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
We are thinking of going to either West Branch or Berlin this weekend for some crappie fishing, anyone been doing any good at either?

Appreciate the help.

·
Whaler
3,196 Posts
I was at West Branch today trolling. I was trolling a Hot N Tot near the dam when I hooked a big fish. I only had it on for about 30 seconds when it broke one hook off the rear treble and got away. Unfortunately that was the only hook in the fish. There's always another day ! I just wish I could have seen what it was.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I'll be at Berlin tomorrow and West Branch Sunday. I'm in a dark blue Triton TR-20 dual console with Evinrude Ficht if anyone wants to say HI. We'll be crappie fishing, might be 3 of us.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Went out today, fished different areas at different depths trying to find a crappie and didn't even get a bite. Anybody else out there and do anything? We prob were there at the worst hours, 11am - 2pm.

·
Registered
455 Posts
I got two small crappies yesterday (Saturday) and one decent one. Fished from about 9:30 until noon. Got all three on minnows about two feet down. Went out again today, fished from 7:00 am until 12:30. Got one small bass on a worm and one bluegill.

·
Registered
2,029 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Caught 32 crappie between 3pm and 7:30 pm today! West Branch is starting to get lively. The biggest was 1 13 1/4" and 1, 12" and others were 10-11" that we kept.

·
Registered
165 Posts
what part of the lake were you fishing?. yeah i was out at berlin saturday didn;t catch a thing, had bites but really light strikes. By this next weekend they should start up there

·
Powderfinger
7,789 Posts
We were down by the dam early and didn't get a bite. Went west of Rock Springs in the usual brushpile and caught about 21 and lost several more in the branches. Left about 1:30 and trolled back to the west boat ramp and called it a day.
A guy we met at the boat ramp said he had a muskie on in trolling Jay Lake but lost it at the boat.
West Branch is back on.

·
Registered
631 Posts
Is it safe to assume that you guys are taking these fish on Fathead Minnows? (small or medium minnows?) Are they hitting jigs yet?

·
Registered
4,711 Posts
Trolled the west end a bunch! No strikes and by today they ALL moved in. Marked a ton of big fish last night and a buddy got a nice wiper Sunday trollin. Water temp went from 42 to 56 in 4 days. Time to put the trollin gear away soon and jig them. To many things shallow in that lake to get hooked on besides fish.

·
Registered
4,090 Posts
went out to wb this morn on the east end ,jay lake silver bay nothing marked fish 8-10 ft down in twenty ft of water but no takers the main lake was kickin up today water still a bit stained, but the wind did me in saw a boat at daylight launch with a crappie crib made up sitting in the boat that thing was about 8ft by 4ft and about three ft hi they went north of the ramp and put it in somewhere,didn,t see exactly what area,thats all they did was put in in then i saw them leaving may have to go snoping on a calmer day and check out some areas.......

1 - 13 of 13 Posts