close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

West Branch Night fishing

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by TritonBill, Jul 22, 2004.

1. A buddy and I went to West Branch last night. We got there around 8:20pm and fished till 11pm. We thought we were in for a great night and I'm not gonna complain, we didn't get skunked!

The first fish my buddy caught was a 20.5" Smallmouth! More and more smallies are coming out of the Branch all the time and some nice ones! The second fish we caught was a measly little 13" lgmouth. Those 2 fish were our only fish for our few hours of fishing.

Can't wait to get out there again and do some more fishing.

[​IMG]

2. Procraftboats21

Procraftboats21 Original OGF Member

Bill I bet for a minute you thought you were back at Presque Isle :D I gotta get out and do some night fishing!

3. catking

catking Banned

That is one fine smallmouth. That in itself is worth the few hours ;) CATKING

4. That's exactly what we were saying when that thing jumped!! We both shouted, "lake erie baby!!" It was a real nice healthy looking fish.

5. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

How funny! I do believe that you and I launched our boats about the same time last night. I have the 18' Tracker Tundra. Did you launch at the ramps closest to the Dam?
    I think we all need OGF decals for our boats so we can meet eachother!
    Glad to hear of your fishing success last night. Rob (Reel Man) and I caught 3 small cats and one bluegill. They were all fairly small, but fun to catch anyway!
    Do you fish at night often? That seems to be our favorite time to go, and West Branch is usually where we end up. I get sun poisoning anyway, so night time fishing works out just fine. Besides, they say that the big fish come out at night :eek:

Happy Fishing!
    Reel Lady

6. Yep that was me and my buddy Drew. We were googling over your nice boat because we fish Lake Erie a bunch and often times wish we had that style of boat! I had my OGF T-Shirt on last night!

I like to fish at night once the weather gets warm and I'll go as often as I can find people to go with me! I don't like to go alone because sometimes the freaks come out at night, haha.

We fished up by the dam mostly and stayed out until 11pm. I hope to make it back out soon but will be going on vacation soon. Hopefully we'll see you guys around and if you see me out on the lake feel free to stop over and say ,"hello!"

7. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

there is a decent chance that me and exexec are going out this afternoon for a while. I'll have the OGF hat on.

8. Reel Lady

Rob and I (as you know) havent ventured out into Lake Erie yet. Being that we are new boaters, we thought we would tackle the inland lakes first. Gosh, how could I have missed that T-shirt of yours? Maybe we should request dayglo orange shirts? :D
    Actually, I know why I was so distracted last night. We brought our 2 dogs with us for the first time. My maltese was cool as a cucumber (probably cuz she is deaf and cant hear the motor ;) ) But, my cocker spaniel is an emotional basket case, and worries about everything and everyone. Once we got settled into a little cove straight across from the ramps, Jake, (the cocker) realized that being on the boat meant that he got to lick the fish we caught! For some crazy reason, he loves licking the fish we catch, and waits in anticipation everytime we reel in to see whats on the end of our line.
    So, if you ever want to do some night fishing, and have no one to go with, dont hesitate asking us to tag along. We usually end up at West Branch 2-3 nights a week, and sometimes even pull an all nighter. We would welcome the company :)

9. ReelLady/ReelMan, Everybody that follows my posts know how much I love Presque Isle bay in Erie, PA. This would be a great place to go for your first trip to Erie. You would need a PA fishing license but it can be well worth the trip. The bay is about 3000 acres and plenty big and if you get the nerve up or its a nice day then could venture out into the main lake if you felt like it. The bay usually only has 1-2 foot chop. During the week the bay hardly has any boat traffic at all. The fishing in the spring for smallmouth is almost as good as it gets for smallmouth. I can't count how many 4-5lb smallies I caught this year up there in the bay, let alone main lake erie. Just a thought....

Wow, wish I could fish anywhere 2-3 nights per week! I usually make it once during the week and then go on the weekend. I'll send you guys a message next time were heading out to WB or Berlin(I live 10 minutes from Berlin). I don't usually pull all nighters because then I feel like a zombie the next day!

I need to check into those Decals!

10. Reel Lady

Wow! I looked through your photo gallery and was amazed at the size of those smallmouth that you caught! Talk about inspiration! I will definitely put Presque Isle on my list of "have to go to's", that's for sure :)
    Have you ever been to Salt Fork? I think Rob and I might me getting away for a camping/fishing weekend sometime soon, and are looking for a good place to go that is within 2 hours or so of home (Chagrin Falls).
    Let me know if you have any good suggestions.

Reel Lady

11. Camping: My family and I just recently camped at Berlin Resevoir and really liked it. Our kids especially enjoyed it since they have about 5 playgrounds at the state campgrounds. I've heard Mosquito Lake has a nice campgrounds. I wish West Branch campgrounds would open up!

Presque Isle is less than 2 hrs away from you(prob closer than Salt Fork and less busy on a weeked). There is a campground there right at the base of the peninsula. Their website is: www.sarascampground.com .

I've fished at Salt Fork and my favorite areas to fish there are the bays over by the Morning Glory ramp and also some bays midway through the lake.

I'm going to start a new camping post in the Lounge for Ohio Campsites to see what others favorites are...

12. Wow! That's a great lookin' smallie. Congratulations!

Scott

13. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

Good Job Bill!

14. Flipp, I didn't catch it my buddy did! but I guess he was in my boat so that makes me the guide? ;)

15. Flipp

Flipp Bass Chaser

I know you didn't catch it, you are a hell of a guide.

16. Reel Lady

What a beautiful smallie that is.... Please share with us what the heck kind of bait you were using!? :confused:

Reel Lady