Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Multi Species Angler
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Made my annual trek to West Branch to musky fish yesterday. Lake seems to be in good condition, slight stain, but water has good clarity and some standard mud lines from pleasure boaters on the main lake. I was with my uncle and we trolled to cover water. Gave it a solid 10 hours and put one nice 36"r in the boat! Beautiful day on the water for sure!!

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Made my annual trek to West Branch to musky fish yesterday. Lake seems to be in good condition, slight stain, but water has good clarity and some standard mud lines from pleasure boaters on the main lake. I was with my uncle and we trolled to cover water. Gave it a solid 10 hours and put one nice 36"r in the boat! Beautiful day on the water for sure!!
Good job ! A kid 12 yrs old just got 40 off a kayak. 10 hrs on the lake to get one musky. Is along time . Had to be a good feeling to finally get one after all that! Good job again man!! There everywhere in that lake! Easy peasy!

·
Multi Species Angler
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well, we fished it hard trying to get more. I think the fish was boated around 9:45am. It was only my 3rd time on that lake ever. Not bad. Coincidentally, I've never been skunked there! There are a lot of muskie in that lake, but I would never classify them as easy especially on a bright, sunny day without much breeze!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Well, we fished it hard trying to get more. I think the fish was boated around 9:45am. It was only my 3rd time on that lake ever. Not bad. Coincidentally, I've never been skunked there! There are a lot of muskie in that lake, but I would never classify them as easy especially on a bright, sunny day without much breeze!
never been skunked at the branch as well. I ment they are easy at the branch . Other lakes different story. West branch is like alot of north Minnesota lakes . Everywhere!!

·
Registered
224 Posts
Leesville is good to but no branch. The branch has alot of coyotes as well going tomorrow night!! And frog gigging friday opening day. I fish the branch now early and at night. Much luck. Friday night I'll gig . Find a spot to throw my bag down go to sleep wake up Saturday fish from 5 am or so til 8 9 am . And dont go back on the lake til sunday evening when 90 percent of the people have gone home! Good times!! I watched a guy the other wk snag a musky from shore . We was on light gear and brought it to shore looked like a 30 incher maybe. He didnt even know I was 20 yards from him . He was a regular on the lake. Seen him alot on the lake . Fun lake!!

·
Fish fire food friends family
1,785 Posts
Westbranch...

...my 1st muskie was something else. 4/11/14 from the dam on a friday after work near sunset...fishing for eyes and she decided it was my time. Can't tell you all how much that fish changed my ways with fishing/life...never caught/hooked/had a follow in all my life till then...handle 24 since and lost just as many...countless follows and all from shore in multiple locations.

...when she hit...told buddy next to me within 10 seconds ... I'm releasing this fish! And off she swam a few short minutes later...

...can't Express enough how that reservoir has had an effect with life in general and taking that long walk to dam and back...them sunrises/sunsets...times walking in woods to <water> meet a so called <cute> black mink one evening out there...ole boy wouldn't leave me alone...stealing my bluegill parts and crawling around inside my tackle bag...this went on for an hour or so...I was 3 feet from him and he showed me his little mouth with them teeth...as he helped himself with bluegill head...and did his little hop along up them rocks to eat it...then come back down for more...shoot I would have rather had them coyotes come down hahaha...that little guy wasn't messing around. I just wanted to hit the dam and cast out some cut bait after a lonnngggg day of work.

...in the end ... westbranch is something special in my life...hands down my favorite place to relax/reflect...get away...

...respect it people.

Catfish Don

Attachments

·
Registered
224 Posts
Westbranch...

...my 1st muskie was something else. 4/11/14 from the dam on a friday after work near sunset...fishing for eyes and she decided it was my time. Can't tell you all how much that fish changed my ways with fishing/life...never caught/hooked/had a follow in all my life till then...handle 24 since and lost just as many...countless follows and all from shore in multiple locations.

...when she hit...told buddy next to me within 10 seconds ... I'm releasing this fish! And off she swam a few short minutes later...

...can't Express enough how that reservoir has had an effect with life in general and taking that long walk to dam and back...them sunrises/sunsets...times walking in woods to <water> meet a so called <cute> black mink one evening out there...ole boy wouldn't leave me alone...stealing my bluegill parts and crawling around inside my tackle bag...this went on for an hour or so...I was 3 feet from him and he showed me his little mouth with them teeth...as he helped himself with bluegill head...and did his little hop along up them rocks to eat it...then come back down for more...shoot I would have rather had them coyotes come down hahaha...that little guy wasn't messing around. I just wanted to hit the dam and cast out some cut bait after a lonnngggg day of work.

...in the end ... westbranch is something special in my life...hands down my favorite place to relax/reflect...get away...

...respect it people.

Catfish Don
you said it perfectly man!!

·
Registered
185 Posts
Uhoh! You just jinxed yourself!

·
Multi Species Angler
6,218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Didn't capture the fight on film as I hadn't got the camera out on this trip yet. Whoops!! Still nice footage of the release! Plus, I was fishing with John Blue who is one of the best multi species anglers I know (the pins on his hat are all Master Angler pins). Thanks for watching!

·
Esox Venator
114 Posts
Beautiful fish. Nice work!

Reactions: crittergitter

·
Registered
3 Posts
I lost one a couple weeks ago, easily 35-40", chewed through net, gave me the finger (or fin) and swam away.

·
Registered
235 Posts
Frank Doyle, had that happen over weekend. He didn’t get off though. Ended up slipping my rod through net to get em back. Measured modest 40”, fish never left the water as I know they survival rate isn’t great after a fight in warmer water. I fish the branch regularly and avoid em like the plague. I’ve got two in last week, second being 30” range, two lures to replace with a net as well Lol

Attachments

1 - 14 of 14 Posts