close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

West Branch Muskie 8/28/07

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Love2troll, Aug 28, 2007.

1. Me and Danadelman went out for the first time in about a month.....we ended up striking this bad boy.....we tried about an hour to revive it but no luck.....we felt real bad so it was a bitter sweet day but we got some real nice pics with it....we decided to take it home and filet it and the meat doesnt look too bad so we are going to give it a wirl..we thought it'd be better than just leaving it float in the lake...40 inches and 12 pounds
    [​IMG][​IMG][​IMG]

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Nice fish!
    Let us know how it tastes. I never caught a musky let alone eaten one. Wonder whether it tastes like northerns.

3. mirrocraft mike

mirrocraft mike Now in a Alumacraft

Nice fish guys .To bad it didn't make it, but sounds like you put the effort in to giving it a chance. I need to get to west branch never fished it .With all the Muskie postings this month i hope I'm not to late Congrats again on a fine catch .

4. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

I caught an 18 pounder out there about 20 years ago and had the same problem reviving it. I wound up fileting it and taking it to work. We fried it up and made sandwiches out of it and everyone liked it. It's not like eating Walleye or pan fish but it was good except for the bones.
    Since then I have learned to filet them and Pike without having any bones left in the meat. Al Lindner demonstrated how to do it one one of his shows.
    Let us know how your fish turns out.

5. Wailer-Sure it wasn't a grass pike?

6. DanAdelman

DanAdelman getting jigging with it

i think it was doug stange who demonstrated it on in fisherman... could of been both though...We were able to take out the Y bones with ease due to the size of the filets :)... It was definately a fun fight and i am sure it was funny to anyone that was around because we were running around the boat like frantic ants... I haven't made any posts lately due to my lack of internet but now that i am back in school expect to see me and prolly love2troll also on here much more often...The only plus to taking it home was the cool pic of both me and lee holding her...
    It was also funny because lee missed the first sweep with the net and caught the lure to the net...If the fish wouldn't of been hooked so well we would of surely lost it...Anyways lee's strugling to net this fish and heres me telling him "just hand land it...Just hand land it" and i think all lee could picture was a recent photo of a muskie hook in a hand but luckily the fish eventually ended up in the net...and we didn't end up in ER...

7. Good job guys. I just got back from being skunked at the branch.

8. Nice job guys. too bad u couldn't get it to come back.

9. Nice fish Guys, what did you catch it on? I know how you feel when you can't revive one. I caught a 29 inch Walleye a couple of weeks ago that I couldn't revive but like you I sure wasn't going to let it go to waste.

10. Love2troll, I was there when you caught it. Larry and I both commented on how great it was that you guys tried so hard to do everything possible to save that fish.

You guys basically gave up your entire evening working on reviving that fish. I salute you.

And yes it was funny watching you try to land that thing. :D

11. zachtrouter

zachtrouter FISHAHOLIC

Very nice fish gentlemen that thing is a beast. I have been wondering where your posts have been lately Dan!!!! I thought you might of hung up the rod and tackle. Early retirement;) :D

12. stupid question but...how old is a fish that size? any idea?

13. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

Not a stupid question at all. You never know until you ask.
    That fish is probably about 7 years old.
    Musky grow more slowly in cooler water, ie. that fish, if caught in Central Ontario, would be about 15. If she were caught in Misouri she would be about 5. I caught a 40" pike in Ontario last year that was probably 20 years old. It's all about water temp.
    Brian

14. heh, never expected that. interesting! & thx!

15. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Nice fish guys. Sorry to hear that it didn't make it.

CG