close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

West Branch/ Milton/ Berlin Trolling help?

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Scaupstopper, May 2, 2008.

1. Scaupstopper

Scaupstopper Duck Enemy #1

I know no one wants to give too much away....

I have been fishing Erie exclusively the last few years but circumstances (weather, 8 month pregnant wife, fuel prices) have kept me from getting out much this year. I have been kicking around trying trolling at Milton, or the other local lakes, but I have a feeling my equipment and program is not appropriate there.

I do pretty well on the big pond with spoons, dipseys, etc. but am used to fishing 70' of water. My wife loves to fish with me, but in her current condition, Erie gets a little too rough.

Any tips, equipment, locations, etc. would be greatly appreciated. If you dont want to post up here, send me a PM. The wife and I are tired of sitting in the house wishing we were fishing, when a year ago we would be out there in the iffy conditions.

And here is the carrot I am dangling....If someone would like to help out, we could go in my boat. (Actually, its my wife's boat) She has a 19' Tracker Targa with a 9.9 kicker with digital trollmaster and steering linkage. I have Navionics and GPS and all the rod holders you could possibly want. I also have a bimini and a pretty good sense of humor.

Also, with the wife less able to fish Erie, and my primary fishing partner, I am looking for a few new friends for Erie fishing, Mostly out of Cleveland or Vermillion.

Thats all the bribes I have for now. Thanks in advance.

2. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

You won't need to use dipsys unless you want to troll spoons and then you would probably be able to get by with the smallest dipsys! West Branch is a dipsy killer if you aren't familiar with it. I would suggest you start at Berlin or Milton as they have many more Walleyes than West Branch.

3. Scaupstopper

Does anyone troll stinger spoons on the inland lakes? I have been seeing "shad rap" pop up a lot in threads? Is there a specific size? Do people use planner boards? I have some off shore brand boards, but I hear people talking about catching a lot of smaller fish. Those boards wont even budge on a 12" walleye.

I have reef runners and ripsticks, but I think they may be a bit big for Milton.

4. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

I'm not much of a troller on West Branch. I never caught any walleye trolling cranks and only a few trolling worm harnesses with bottom bouncers. Most of the walleye I catch there are on jigs.
    Walleyes average about 23" at WB for me.
    Milton seems to have many smaller ones from reading the reports but I've never fished there.
    If I were you, I'd try Mosquito. I've always wondered how Lake Erie tactics would work at that lake. I wouldn't use the dipsy's or jets either. Too shallow.

5. For me, I find flatlining mono with hot n tots, shad raps, some jr. thundersticks etc. works pretty good.....most of the inland lakes where the good spots are are 25 ft. deep and under unless yer talkin' the dam area of West Branch but keep hearing not many eyes there....and that stinks cause I live 2 mins from there....

I just started messn' around w/ this little mini- inline planer board I found at the
    Streetsboro Wallmart last yr...a t-16 or somelthing ?......when ya set it, line pops out of clip and it folds back against the water drag where you can set a split shot to stop the board at some point up the line I think ?...

am I esplainin that right ?

6. I run inline boards on inland lakes, with crank baits. In my opinion, you can't run the "pro" rigging method inland though. I have mine set-up with one OR-10 (yellow) release. Then, I put a swivel and a glass bead about 5' infront of the lure, which keeps the board from running all the way down your line, and into the fish. When the fish hits, and pops the release the board will turn around so that you can tell that you have one hooked. If you run two of the heavier releases you are bound to tow around a 10" fish and not realize it.

As for inland cranks, I prefer hot-n-tots, wally divers, bagley small fry shad, shad raps, and lightnin' shad, pretty much in that order.

7. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

At Nimisila I catch almost all my walleye on trolling cranks, none on jigs.

My favorites are hot-n-tots, Big O (smokey joes, black and chrome), shad raps (size 5 ,7,8) fat free shad, husky jerks and deep diving husky jerks.

keep hearing al ot abut wally divers. I'll have to pick up a few.

8. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

You can use the boards with the tattle tail flag setup. This lets you know if you have a small fish or weeds hanging on your lure. I have used them with good success on inland lakes. Also leadcore works great for trolling these lakes. Just about any smaller cranks will work if presented properly. Good luck.:)

9. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

10. Scaupstopper

Thanks Everyone. I picked up some shad raps and a couple of rods tonight. I might be giving it a try tommorow evening. Not sure where, but at least I'll be fishing. Any one with suggestions of spots, shoot me a PM. I will return the favor with reports.