West branch icing

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Bulldog1149, Jan 21, 2009.

1. Can I get any one to give me a few pointers for fishing the branch thru the ice for eyes and crappie. I know the lake structure well in and out, but have never ice fished much except for ponds. Any help would be great even if it is as vague as east end, west end. I am assuming the eyes will be staged up on points and humps as usual, but the crappie's? not sure. Thanks for any help.

2. Im thinking standing structure less that 15fow. Still leaves ALOT but it should be off the same humps and points the eyes are on. I dont fish the bays that dont have points and such off them. Hope it helps!

3. From everything I've read in InFisherman/others, crappie should be deeper off the humps(perhaps even the deeper flats) this time of year. They look for a more comfortable temp and will only move up slowly more shallow as Spring starts to warm things up a little. Probably kinda hard to locate the schools but if you drill enough holes and have the required electronics(vex, good portable locator, etc) you should find some, I'd say. Find them, they'll bite as usual. Walleyes, being not so temp. sensitive, are where you might have found them in the Fall-or moving in those areas off and on during the day-or night. Persistance should pay dividends.

4. Check the latest issue of In Fisherman and Walleye Insider. Covers both. Good Info.