close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

West Branch crappie

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Lewzer, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Dids pretty well yesterday. Brought home a dozen for the first time since coldwater last spring. Put them on ice and will fillet tonight after work for supper. We'll see whether that keeps the meat firm.
    They were caught in two areas while 5 other areas didn't produce. You had to be right in the structure or nothing was biting. Six came from deeper water 15' or so the big hogs came 5-6fow. Slipbobber and perch rigs with minnows. I'll post some pics later.
    Last Saturday was slower, only picked up a few.
    That lake is funny. One day it's on fire and the next...nothing or slow.

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Here's some pics. The size has been increasing the last few weeks and I've heard from others at the dock that the blade bait bite is on.

[​IMG]

[​IMG]

3. Congrats nice fish. Only thing missing in your pics is me hold some too lol Good job

4. Eriesteamer

Eriesteamer BORN TO RIDE THE WAVES

These look like ones we threw back last spring.

5. was up there just roaming around , think I seen luredaddy trolling, question ,hows the eye population ?? think I:LL give up on attwood and try W/B,

6. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

Well, the walleye are in there but it seems that there are less and less every year. My totals from WB keep dropping every year. 2004/2005 was fantastic, 2006 not too bad. 2007 could have done alot better.
    Kind of the same thing that happened to Nimi with the walleye.
    If you go to WB for walleye have a back up plan (like crappie fishing:D )

7. NewbreedFishing

NewbreedFishing High Speed Angling

man...would like to fish with you again mike.

good luck this fall

8. chaunc

chaunc Staff Member

Do you think that the growing population of zebra mussells has anything to do with it? Lot of guys that fish Erie also fish there. I've noticed that squito has an enormous population of ZM.

9. I think the musky eat them all...:D

10. WB isn't stocked so I think the last few years have really hurt the eye population. The lake was fished pretty hard and without some help from the DNR I'm afraid the eye fishing will continue to dwindle until interest dies off and they have a chance to repopulate.

11. Sometimes it seems its over run with fish then others not any at all. Some call it a spring lake but itll hold a good bite till the water drops. Find the eys moving off shallow flats to the points in the first 6in off drop. By then theyll be suspended. Like Big Daddy says, "Keeps the muskies fed!!!";) I know the Mussels have affected the water but I dont think it hurt the fish or weeds. Just changed the feeding times.