close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

West Branch Advice

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Zanini, May 24, 2004.

1. Good day all. I'm heading out to West Branch Wednesday evening and could use all the help I can get. This lake and I have never really gotten along, and all this rain is not going to help. I've been reading all I can here, and it looks like I need to go after some crappie. That sounds great to me, but are there any area on which I should concentrate? I know the lake ok, but not super well.

I saw some reports of large numbers of walleye being caught, but I've never gotten more than one there. What's the key to numbers?

I expect that with all the rain we've been getting the water is going to look like cupachino. My plan is to use fat crank baits (more vibration) for bass and walleye, and white jigs tight to wood for crappie. Does that sound like a plan?

I'd appreciate any help I can get, and you guys have come up with some great ideas so far this year. As always, anything I get will go back to be caught another day.

Tight lines and take care

Zanini

2. Capt.Muskey

Capt.Muskey Ohio Fishing Militia

If your looking for crappie I can only tell you where I've had the best luck. Start out at the west boat ramp and head west under the bridge into the no-wake zone. There is an island on the right "north bank" about 300 to 400 yards after the bridge. Try the cove just beyond the island on the north bank. Look for any small wood sticking out of the water and cast around it.
    I've caught plenty using a small rattling crank bait "small brown crawdad colors". They also seem to like the smaller shinners I get from the westbranch bait and tackle shop.
    A few hunderd yards west of that stop on the same shore line "north bank" is Pikes Cove. It's a deep inlet with lots of weeds, using rattle traps around the outskirts of the weed line has produced some nice Muskie, Bass, and a few Pike.

Best of luck
    JD

3. Thanks Cap. That sounds good. My buddies decided to move our outing to LaDue because the water quality at westbranch is not doubt terrible. I will be at WB on June 16th and plan to head straight for the spots you suggested. I really need to gain some confidence on that lake!

4. fffffish

fffffish Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder

Last fall the DNR put in 3 new fish holding structures at the branch they are made of fiberglass tubes and are in 10 to 20 feet of water here are the GPS quadrants for them

#1 N 41º 8’ 27.0” / W 81º 10’ 5.8”

#2 N 41º 8’ 16.3” / W 81º 9’ 38.7” to N 41º 8’ 18.2” / W 81º 9’ 38.8”

#3 N 41º 8’ 18.9” / W 81º 9’ 27.8” to N 41º 8’ 18.8” / W 81º 9’ 26.5”

5. Portage Lakes

Portage Lakes OGF Member

I have always done ok for the Crappie on the East side of Rock Springs Road in the deeper water.

PL.........