close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

West Branch accident

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Lewzer, Aug 7, 2007.

1. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

First time boater trying to launch at West Branch yesterday afternoon. I offered twice to help the guy unload but he was too impatient and backed into the concrete and then the wooden portion of the dock.
    He had the rope to the crank unhooked and the boat got stuck in the dock when he hit it. He then he pulled out and the boat landed on the skeg.
    He kept pulling up and snapped the lock down feature of the motor.
    Don't know if he bent the tongue of the trailer or if it's supposed to bend like that. Bet his prop is shot too.
    Regardless the trailer was waaaaay too small for that heavy a boat. Plus if I was a first time boater I would be more than grateful for an offer to help from someone who has somewhat a clue on how to unload a boat.
    Two hours later he was still there.
    I'm not going to show the pictures that show him. Too embarrassing.

[​IMG]

Fishing was OK too. Crappie and perch off of minnows in front of fallen trees in the deeper water.

2. guess next time he will tkae your help huh . I would love to see the other pictures

3. Chalk me up for wanting to see the pics too! I bet his face was priceless......

4. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i almost had that happen to me once ,trying to load in a hurry when a storm picked up with heavy wind and rain. i could not get the boat on the trailer right and the boat got stuck on the dock and a side bunk as the rain wind and lightning was comming down. took me a while to get it righted before i got underway. take your time even in a storm.

5. Agent47

Agent47 Trying to pull it in!!!!

Pulling out to fast replacing prop... 250 dollars

Scuffing up fiberglass hull and repairing boat bottom... 2000 dollars.

Image on face and ignoring good samaritan

PRICELESS
    :p :D :p

6. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Wow Mike!

Some guys are just too proud, or whatever, to accept a "helping hand".

Its a shame. And I doubt he learned anything.:eek:

7. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

There was a guy that did that a few years ago out there. It took 4 of us lifting the back and one on the winch to get it on the trailer. Lucky it had rollers for bunks.

8. fishingful

fishingful Time to fish!

ffffffish had that happen to his boat out there in late fall when it was cold launched then loaded then went to launch again later in the day and when he was backing up taped the breaks and the boat shot off the trailor onto the ramp

BUNKS HAD FROZEN

allways keep the saftey chain hooked up till your boat is almost in the water

expensive to replace the mota or all the glass work

9. I think he may be a graduate of the Fishintiger school of trailer backing. :D I almost had the same fate but luckily it was with Misfit's boat and the boat was in the water and not on the trailer when I almost put the trailer on the dock. :eek:

10. I had this one happen to me once at Berlin in November when the water was way down - I was launching at that marina on the east side, had the boat unhooked and the rope on it and was just a few feet from the edge of the water when the trailer tire fell into an immense pothole, jolting the jeep and the trailer to a stop. I just watched the whole boat slide right off the back and go nose to the sky as it fell off onto the concrete. Busted transducer, drain hole bent shut (aluminum hull), scuffs on the motor but no other damage. Winched the thing back on (about 20' of winch strap out to get her hooked up) and learned like you said to never unbuckle the boat until you are almost touching the water.

I would have taken your help - some people are just too stupid for their own good.

11. ezbite

ezbite the Susan Lucci of OGF

mine stays hooked until she's afloat and then i walk out on the trailer to unhook just for this reason. i remember many moons ago up at ashtabula, i unhooked the winch from a boat i was invited to go out on (just trying to help and a rookie to boating) and the same thing happened, luckly it was far enough down the ramp it bounced into the water. needless to say, neil was very upset with me the rest of the day:eek: .

those ramps at west branch are steep. i wouldn't be able to crank mine back on. dont know what id have to do. get a crane?? anyhow this falls into the "what a dumba$$" catagory:D bet he dont do that again.

12. Watched two old guys try to launch a boat up in Canada one year.

Everything was going well - boat backed to near the water's edge.

Driver says to his partner - O.K. Unhook it!

Which he did. Except that he unhooked the Reese's hitch from the truck!

You know the rest of the story!

13. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

that was the first thing that came to mind when i read the post:D
    almost?.................................almost,meaning only one wheel was on the dock instead of both:p :D

you've come along way.at least i thought so till the other night:rolleyes::D

14. I saw something very, very similar at West Branch last year.

The guy had his wife and kids in the boat. It slid off the trailer as he was backing down. It hit the deck. (No one was harmed or in any way hurt, just a bit shaken and perplexed.) There was a pause. His wife then unleashed a string of "comments" about his trailering prowess.

Moments later about a dozen other guys were helping his DRAG the large fiberglass boat across the concrete and into the water.

It was on a Sunday and the parking/launching area was a zoo. Much jocularity ensued.:D

15. triton175

triton175 STX 206 Viper

I'm with ezbite. Mine stays hooked to the winch until its afloat and motor is started. It may take a few seconds more, but avoids a lot of problems.
    Brian

16. I worked for the Army Corps of engineers at Berlin about 30 years ago. On busy weekends we were sometimes sent to the boat ramp to direct traffic and help the weekend warriors. Some of the things that happened were so bizzare that you wouldn't believe them if I told you and there were so many that I could write a book.

One in particular. I was at the contact station checking in campers when a guy and his daughter walk up the road from the boat ramp and as he gets on the public telephone, she walked over the the office window (she was about 5 or 6) and proudly announces that daddy put the boat and car in the lake.

17. Well.....maybe. :D

It's not my fault that you put a short rope on the boat. :D

18. must be easy loader trailers or something, my 16' deep v fiberglass would never just slide off on it's own even at the steepest ramps, if my trailer fenders aren't quite submerged I'll have to really push to get it off and I always unhook it first, the trailer has rollers not the easy loader V type.

19. Many of us have narrowly escaped some of these miss-ques. In the first month owning a boat, I got extremely lucky at West Branch.

A guy who had to be at least 75 with very long hair and scruffy full beard helped me out. He recommended using the outside truck mirrors instead of trying to watch the boat thru the back window. He recommended following the painted lines on the pavement....or the seams in the concrete.
    He recommended, when launching alone, a rope on the bow (laying inside the boat) and over the trailer hitch 2.5 times the length of the boat.

His advise has worked for me. Thanks.....whoever you are.

20. Is it just me or did the guy pull the pin out of his tilt trailer?:eek: