close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

West Branch 7/24/2004

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Legendary Lures, Jul 25, 2004.

1. Spent a pleasant Saturday evening on West Branch. Caught and released 72 crappies in just under 4 hours, using only artificial lures. I didn't count the ones that weren't boated. The fish ranged from 7 inches to 11 inches. Had a really large black crappie spit the hook at boatside. It appeared to be 12"+. Got cut-off 3 times. I didn't see it, but I'm guessing it was a northern pike. Those buggers slice right through 4 lb. test line.

2. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Also at W. Branch. I took my wife out and after looking for a while we found some crappie also. We caught 19, missed four nice ones, and had a bunch of minnows stolen. Crazy how even 4-41/2 inch bluegill were feeding on minnows. I had no idea. We caught a few of those also. Most everything was caught with minnows though I played around wiith various artificials and caught some on them as well. Fun evening. Crappie were between 8-11 inches. Kept five between 10- 11 inches for the table, let the rest go.

3. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

Reel Lady and I spent the night at West Branch as well. We spent the night Cat fishing and landed three twenty pounders. It turned out to be a fun night. Sorry we missed you and your wife Ruminator.

4. Nice Fishing Guys! Reel Man did you guys land 3 Twenty Pound Channel Catfish or Shovelheads?!?!?

5. Reel Man

Reel Man Member

Tightliner- I landed 2 20lb Channels while reel lady landed a 20lb Shovelhead. Reel Lady posted a couple of pics along with a pic of a soft shell turtle she landed. Before we got the turtle out of the water we were certain it was the grandaddy of all catfish.

6. how deep of water were the crappie in

7. I tied up to a blowndown tree. There were small and large crappies among the branches. The branch tips were about 8 deep. I also did well by casting away from the tree tips, retrieved slow and steady, then let it fall in about 18 feet. This method seemed to produce the larger fish (9 to 11 inches) with good regularity. I'm not sure if they would follow it in or if they were already in the "fall zone". I did try just flipping into the 'fall zone" and letting it sink. This did not work nearly as well.

8. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Where we were, we did best fishing vertically down thru a fallen tree. We encountered the 8"-9" crappie around 6' and fished deeper after catching all of them to get to the bigger ones that by now with all the action were ready to feed. They were on the bottom at 18'.

9. What were the lengths on those catfish? Were they all fish ohios?

Attached Files:

10. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

I sure don't know, and I'm not trying to cast any doubt, but this is a 15# (fifteen pound) bluecat I caught. Some scales might not be the most accurate, I prefer the new digitals, like a Rapala or Berkley, etc. (PS: I'm 6'4" or 5" too) I've got it extended towards the camera some in "catfishermen's pose :rolleyes:
    [​IMG]

11. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

The Flathead was 29" and the channel cats were 27 1/2" and 26 1/2".
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

12. Reel Lady

We used a digital bathroom scale. Rob weighed himself first, and then re-weighed himself while holding the fish. It may not be a completely accurate way to weigh fish, but hey, it gives you a pretty good idea.
    To be honest though, the weight of the fish means nothing to me at all....
    The fact that Rob and I both caught the biggest fish that EITHER one of us has ever caught on the SAME night is the greatest thing ever :)

13. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

they are very nice fish. what did you catch them on?

14. Reel Lady

I was using Night Crawlers on the bottom with a small weight about 18" up from the hook.
    Rob was using fresh shrimp (expensive bait! :eek: ), also on the bottom... one of his he used a weight, the other he did not.

15. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

"Tales of the tape" make them look much larger than the picture posted where there was some distance. Beautiful channel cats. The last one's I've seen were in the male spawn mode and look ugly like dogs. :eek:
    Funny you mentioned concern about inches in the other thread..too funny (sad but true) but still funny as all get out ! :D

16. Nice Fish! I'm back from vacation now and can't wait to start fishing again!!