Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went to West Branch yesterday from a little bit before 11:00 to a bit after dark, almost 9 hours total. I spent most of my time between Goose Island and the the no wake area past the bridge. Spent about 2 or 3 hours trolling two musky rods from my kayak, switching up between bulldawg, giant spinnerbait, deep diving crank, and bass spinnerbait. Trolled mostly shallower areas and around the mouth of bays. Not a single strike or even a follow. Trolled for an hour around noon and then for about 2 hours right before dark.

The water is down super low (6ft +), so it was hard to find structure because all the weeds and trees were out of the water. I concentrated on what weed lines were left and what little bit of tree was sticking in the water. I managed to snag 4 largemouth bass about a foot long each. One was on a buzzbait, and three were on spinnerbaits. I also had some hits on a ned rig.

All in all a super fun day, but I'm bummed I didn't even get a follow. Any muskie tips would be appreciated!
Fish Gas Safety glove Fishing net Art

·
Registered
968 Posts
what's your speed? IIRC I used 4-4 1/2. Also for trolling, stick with diving baits, let out about 20-25 feet and stay in six to 18 fow.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
what's your speed? IIRC I used 4-4 1/2. Also for trolling, stick with diving baits, let out about 20-25 feet and stay in six to 18 fow.
I was going about as fast as I could sustainably paddle--just fast enough to get the crank wobbling and the spinner turning. I'd love to get a trolling motor on my yak!

I will try diving baits in deeper water next time. Thanks all for the tips!

·
Registered
968 Posts
"I was going about as fast as I could sustainably paddle"

Yes, I figured you were. If you can't get the speed up, you should stick to casting. I do best casting bigger but not crazy big spinners. Buchertail line in 500 and 700 series seems to work well in WB.

·
wolfenstein
413 Posts
Throwing something with that much drag and if there's any wind, you're way off desired location fast. I love the simplicity of it, but kayak fishing is tough. Rented a hobie angler 14 with mirage drive in Florida this spring...amazing difference than paddling, but at that price, there's a lot of boats.

·
Registered
26 Posts
"I was going about as fast as I could sustainably paddle"

Yes, I figured you were. If you can't get the speed up, you should stick to casting. I do best casting bigger but not crazy big spinners. Buchertail line in 500 and 700 series seems to work well in WB.
Try taking a big golf umbrella out and use it as a sale. It actually works lol

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Took the little trolling motor to the 72nd boat launch today. Tried ned rigs around the harbor rocks but not even a bite. I catch fish about once every 8 times I go there.

Had to jerry-rig the mount, but it works. A little slow, but for $80 total (motor, battery, kayak mount) I'm super happy! I think it will be barely fast enough to troll for musky at WB.

Attachments

·
Registered
228 Posts
Went to West Branch yesterday from a little bit before 11:00 to a bit after dark, almost 9 hours total. I spent most of my time between Goose Island and the the no wake area past the bridge. Spent about 2 or 3 hours trolling two musky rods from my kayak, switching up between bulldawg, giant spinnerbait, deep diving crank, and bass spinnerbait. Trolled mostly shallower areas and around the mouth of bays. Not a single strike or even a follow. Trolled for an hour around noon and then for about 2 hours right before dark.

The water is down super low (6ft +), so it was hard to find structure because all the weeds and trees were out of the water. I concentrated on what weed lines were left and what little bit of tree was sticking in the water. I managed to snag 4 largemouth bass about a foot long each. One was on a buzzbait, and three were on spinnerbaits. I also had some hits on a ned rig.

All in all a super fun day, but I'm bummed I didn't even get a follow. Any muskie tips would be appreciated! View attachment 476888
Keep trying the muskie. Lake is absolutely full of them. Really not much tips to be given fishing for musky in the branch. Tons of people catch them bass fishing so just keep trying.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts