close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

West Branch 10/13/04

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Lewzer, Oct 14, 2004.

1. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

It started out a beautiful but slow fall day. A crappie here a crappie there and throw in a bass or two. All the usualy holding structure was very slow and the fish you did catch were small.
    Came out of Jay Lake (a.k.a. the campground bay thank you Reel Lady) about 3:30 and motored over to our last spot. The crappie were small there also and then the light switch turned on instead of off as it usually does.
    We pulled a dozen or so crappie 11-13" along with a number of smaller ones.
    My grumpy old man fishing buddy had a funeral to attend so we had to leave at 4:30 while the bite was still on.
    I seem to be repeating myself alot lately but if you're not in the sticks getting snagged you won't be on the fish.
    All the fish came on a plain #4 hook and minnow from 1-4" down. Nothing on jigs, spoons or cranks.
    Water is 62-63F and 61F 10' down. The temperature was very uniform all over the lake.
    Water level is down another foot.
    The crappie have been on for about 5 weeks now. Get 'em while you can and while the trees are in their full glory.
    Where's that rain we were supposed to have all day today? I think I feel another one of those crappy (crappie) colds coming on?!!!

2. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

I'm glad to hear you enjoyed yourself Mike, that pretty sweet that they turned for you instead of off. ;) I just checked the weather for tomorrow- 90% chance of rain.... I finish up work at 7am tomorrow and was going to ask you if you wanted to do it again Mike. ;)
    Now if its a light rain, that can turn em on...

"Grumpy Old Man" metaphor - :D Brought a smile to me as I recalled the scene.