close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

West Branch 1-1-05

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by fffffish, Jan 1, 2005.

1. fffffish

fffffish Muskie 1 Trolling Thunder

What a good start to the New Year got up at 7am the wife had to work (NO not that she had to work) so I headed out to West Branch for a look see and from the Bridge on Rock Springs road as far as I could see toward the dam it was open water. So I headed over to the ramp to see if it was open but it was iced in to about 80 feet out. It was about 1 inch thick at the shore. So I went home and grabbed the boat and headed back. Back at West Branch I set the boat up and backed it in to the taillights and then used the paddle to break the ice out far enough to back in and get the outboard in the water I still had to boat hooked down to the trailer I started the outboard up and after it warmed up I put it in gear at full throttle it was amassing how fast the prop wash broke out that 80 feet of ice and cleared out and area big enough that I could turn my boat around in I pulled back out unhooked the boat and launched it. I fished for 5 hours for muskie but only managed to boat 2 smaller fish a 22” and a 25” that had to go 10lbs the only good thing was they were both walleye that hit on a firetiger perch Lure Jensen fingerling and a big shad colored Magnum wiggle wart that I had put 3/0 hooks on. I was running 100 feet of 30lbs mono between 1.5 and 2mph the water temp is 35 deg the fish are stacked up between 6 and 12 feet down all in open water not on structure I also managed to snag a big walleye net. Tell me the brand and what it looks like and I will return it to you. I have to work Sunday thru Wednesday so I hope to get back out Thursday or Friday. The west ramp is open so if you can get out GO

2. Two decent walleye to start the New Year! Super fun and a great meal. Good luck later in the week. :)

3. Drove by there today on the way home from Friday night which I spent at my cuz's and rabbit hunted today... AWESOME day we took 5 rabbits and had a few misses...

4. Maybe Tues. If I Can Get My Trailer Tags. Temps In The Low 40 And 40% For Rain. Maybe Try Some Bommers Behind The Elect. Which Side Of The Camp Grounds Were Ya Trollin? East/west
    Thanks Jig :)

5. fffffish

Both fish were caught between the bridge and the west ramp right out in the middle. I did not go past Goose Island and I could not get under the bridge that side of the lake was sill ice covered with the rain and the warmer temps it should open up this week

6. Hey Rick... Nice website and forum you have there [​IMG]

7. excellent rick! i will try and go sat. if the weather holds, looks like its gonna. not many guys can say they boated musky on new years day!! lol...

8. fffffish

In all the years I have been fishing for muskie the earliest I have caught one was January 3rd, 7th and the 9th. All were at West Branch the one on the 9th is the most memorable. It was only 35.5 inches long but West Branch was frozen solid with 3 feet of snow on the ground that year. So I walked down below the dam and was casting a Xterminator Muskie buck tail into the tunnels at the spillway. The water was coming through one tunnel so fast it was unfishable I had to cast across the spillway and bounce it off of the wall to get it up into it the tunnel. That little fish put up one of the best fights that I can remember. I also managed to catch 2 walleye that day also. It’s nice to live less than 3 miles from the lake.

Atrkyhntr
    Thanks the form looks kinda familiar doesn’t it. captnroger helped set me up with it

9. Tues Sounds Better By The Min.! Went And Picked Up Some Replacment Hots And Bommers!
    I Stopped At The Far West Bridge Thurs Night And The Channel Was Thaw. I Cant Believe You Can Jump From Ice To Boat In A Matter Of Days! No Sense In Keeping My Tackle Orginized! What A Mess!
    Last Month I Took A Walk Below The Dam And The Small Cpappies Where Stacked. I Wanted To Try Crappie Fishin It One Day.
    Thanks For The Info Fish! Ohioman 76 I Have An Open Seat!
    Maybe Try Your Viewer. Bob :)

10. How can a person get below the dam? Where would you park?

11. ohioman76

ohioman76 Avid Crappie Hunter

I'd like to get out sometime this week. I have to work Monday - Friday 9-6. It's a tough world being a Navy Recruiter, especially if you can't get some young men and women to join. :D I tried the viewer today at Milton. I tried the docks for a little while. All I saw was one bluegill and I think he was retarded. He would speed up like he was going to take the bait and then just turn around and leave and then do the same thing over and over again. I then tried by the dam. I can see why I would have 100 plus bluegill days there. Lot of rocks and structure down there. JIG are you free sometime saturday or Sunday. Let me know.

12. Park at "Little Jewel Run" and walk the trails through the woods.

13. Sound Good Ohioman! Its Going To Turn Cold Again. If You Can Find Some Weeds Off The Rocks, They Hold Some Nicer Fish. I Need To Get To Know That Lake Alittle Better. As For The Parking At West Branch, I Think Its Called Wayland Rd. Dive To The Bridge And Its On The West. Maybe A 1/4 Mi. Walk. Not Bad But Not Big!
    Anyone Else Thinking Of Eary Next Week? :) Jig

14. ohioman76

ohioman76 Avid Crappie Hunter

Jig I think the ice should be gone by this Saturday or Sunday. I should be free both of these days. I don't have a boat. Do you want to shore fish or do you have a boat. I sure would like to get into some Crappie. If you have a fishfinder we can search the lake until we see something on the finder that may be fish then we will send down the cam to confirm our suspicions. Let me know what you are doing so I can set it up. Anyone else want to hit Milton?

15. Ohioman With 4 Boys My Duties Are Always In Need. My Wife Works Weekends Mostly Midnights And Likes To Snore! Most Of The Time I Get To Fish Are The Nights ;) And The Days I Take Off To Fish.
    But You Never Know!
    TALK TO YOU LATER THIS WEEK. I WANT TO HIT WEST BRANCH TUES.

16. A 25 inch walleye that weighed 10 lbs.? That thing must have scarfed a couple of diver's weights.

17. fffffish

Ok how many muskie guys carry a scale on their boat? Fish that small usually get pitched back without even measuring them. I usually throw walleye back but they made one heck of a meal that night. It was a guess the fish was big enough in the belly that I could not touch my fingers together with both hands.

18. Just pullin' your leg ffffish. That's a dern nice fish and I'm a tad envious.
    Did the 'eyes seem to be mid-depth oriented or more bottom oriented.
    I find it telling that they were located there. Although long gone, that's about where the thermocline developes in WB and continues from that area to the dam. I also suspect that area is a nutrient trap, not to mention that Goose island is one of the best pieces of structure in the whole res.
    Gotta give you credit though. Muskie guy carry a scale? Heck, your one of the few muskie guys that'll even admit to catchin' an 'eye. :D
    Good show....

19. hahahaa... Not so fast my cuz has fished WB and tells me that he gets tired of catching non-targeted fish LOL
    His 1st taste of muskie fishing came during a steady downpour where he and a friend decided to fish from under the bridge near rt14... His friend caught a small muskie about 20" long and my cuz lost one that as he said "grabbed my spinner took to the air and tossed it 40' across the water"... He has been hooked ever since... no scale with him either and when I told him that Rick was still out there fishing he gave me that looking past me look LOL

20. fffffish

atrkyhntr
    One year my son and I fished that end of the lake most of the spring and early summer we caught 24 muskie up there and about 12 walleye between 21 and 28 inches all trolling smaller muskie baits. We kept 2 of the walleye that were 25 inches and released everything else. Of the 24 muskie we caught none were over 28 inches long. But we figured if there were small ones there had to be a big one somewhere. After the water level fell and we could not troll the river channels under the Rt.14 and Knapp road bridges we gave up. I only fish up there now when we are looking for walleye in the spring. Give it a try. Use small lures in blue and chrome and try to run them as close as you can to or through the cattails.
    The best time to fish that area is when the water is up over the concrete pads at the docks and the area behind the 14 bridge is flooded. The bank fisherman can’t get down there easily. They do get a little P. O. when you snag their lines so watch for them. Also if there is a boat (ME) already fishing up the river wait until they come out of the river there is not enough room up there for 2 boats to get past each other safely. Also turning around can get interesting. WHO said trolling is boring? Good luck. You to can become a River Rat. :D