close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

West Br.

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by JIG, Nov 10, 2004.

1. The Dnr Has Contacted Me To Say That The Gizzard Shad Count Has Been Low. Only Ten # Per Acre. Most Of The Other Ohio Lakes Are Averaging 100-200# Per Acre. They Say They Are Only Stocking Muskies At The Rate Of 1 Per Acre Intil Shad Counts Are Back Up. They Have Had A Few Reports Of Hybrid Stripers Caught Only One Pure Caught This Year! :)
    Jig

2. Excellant Report! Thanks for the information! Sounds like the combinations of big hoss Muskie, Stripers, and Flatheads are doing a number on the gizzard shad...

3. I must have interpreted that completely different. As I read it I thought that there was a concern for the low forage supply in the lake? :confused:

4. Excellant Report of information, found by 'JIG' Bad News for the West Branch Shad population....

5. Anyone who has fished West Branch for the last five to ten years, realizes that the weed growth and loss of forage base in the last three years , is a major concern. The days of seeing hybrids slashing schools of shad in the fall, are gone. I have not witnessed the huge schools of shad dimpling the surface in the fall, as I have in the past. Granted I have put the boat away the first week in November the last two years, maybe the big balls and schools are forming in December. I do know that I only caught five Muskies this year at West Branch, and I know that weed growth has DRASTICALLY been reduced for whatever reason. Now , it appears, the state recognizes the loss of the forage base. Why the weed loss?? Why the loss of forage?? Are they interconnected?? Was the weed loss natural or created by man?? Time will tell. Just my view. John Savu

6. The Last Couple Years At West Branch Weeds Have Dimminished By 60% Not Leaving Much For Shad To Hide. I Think It Is Because Of The Amount Of Rain Weve Had Has Kept Light Levels To Low. Its Not Only Affecting West Br. But Berlin As Well. This Is Forcing The Striper To Surface Around Rocky Areas They Havent Been Seen In For The Last 3 Years Looking For Gills.

7. man i always thought there was too much bait in there also, as rick stated earlier. seems everywhere i go the graph is lit up with small stuff. now that i think about it more, areas where there usually was a lot of bait before are not as abundant as in the past. the weeds are the real killer though. i also agree it is from the high water in the past 2 or 3 summers, not getting enough light as they reach the surface, then we get an inch of rain and they are drowned out so to speak. i had my worst year ever at w.b. , only 4 muskies and they were all in may! i pretty much quit fishing it by july. hard to know what the weed problem is, i hope the dnr figures it out... great thread dig! thanks for the info...

8. I think the weed growth is the key. I also believed that the high water was the cause of the lack of weeds, but there has been high water in the past, and still good weeds. Granted, the last three Springs were record breakers for high water. I also fished, Pymy , and I always spend a great deal of time on Mosquito early in the year, and weed growth was OK, not perfect but OK. West Branch on the other hand, was abysmal . I am a cynic, understand that, but I feel with the HIGH pressure of POWERBOATS and skiers, they have the ear of the state. It is alot nicer to ski through weedless lakes and not have to worry about the weeds. I just cannot imagine the DRASTIC weed loss at West Branch, without human help. Oh, I just remembered, did anyone else see the state's large weed cutting machine at Milton this Spring, besides my fishing partner and I??

I am enjoying this discussion!!

9. no i did NOT!!! prolly like the big muthers they got at chautauqua... ive never seen weeds at milton, anywhere... very minimal. but w.b. is a real question mark, as it used to have nice beds and now none! human help...?makes sense, though ive never seen em treat the lake..whatever it is, its not good, :confused: and the future is bleak for that lake.

10. Well I Can Tell You This, During Turnover In That Lake It Only Takes 3 Days For That Lake Basin To Empty Out. No Weeds Have Put Fish Down And Out All Year. Thats Alot Of Pressure On A Fish.as The Lake Drops In Level It Takes 5 Days And Youll Mark All Kinds Of Fish Suspended. Them Suckers Have To Move. Alot! Thats The Second Year I Have Witnest This. Berlins Just As Bad But It Still Has A Pretty Good Shad Count Just Not As Good As It Use To Be

11. guys, there's no secret to the lack of weeds in our inland lakes. go to WB in middle of january and look at the rocks exposed around the east ramp area(easiest to get to). you will find them completely covered with zebra mussels. ALL our inland lakes are now infested with them! nobody flushed their outboards as the DNR asked us to after going to erie! now we're paying for it.think about this, inches of "shells" completely covering the lake bottom, particularly where the shallower humps are. the weeds simply have died under this layer of calcium and there's your answer!!

12. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

there are fish that eats those mussels up by the boatloads at west branch.. i know that first hand..;)

13. catking

catking Banned

Is it possible that grass carp were introduced into this lake, either on purpose or accident? Thay can clean a large body of water from its weeds fast. And it doesn't take many to do so. The ODNR stocks these in alot of lakes down in my area. The ODNR needs to reconsider this practice..... CATKING

14. Anyone who fishes Portage Lakes has seen the weeds get much worse over the last ten years or so. The thought is that again the zebra mussels cleaned up the water so good that the weeds now grow in a greater water depth. Any thoughts??

15. I feel rather strongly about my mussel theory. Im convinced if they're thick&covering the bottom, that light is not making the trip to the roots of the weeds. A farmer just 'dusts' his fields with lime/clacium. (zeeb shells are 95% calcium) he doesn't apply an inch-thick layer because the seeds will not germinate, the wildlife div. is not killing those weeds with chemicals-if it ain't the zeebs, then it's ALEINS!! you tell me-the weeds are gone. those guys who write them articles&do those studies are the same ones who stopped stocking the stripers cause they were getting "no returns" while we tearin' them up and getting lots of pichers in the late 80's, early 90's in the Record Courier every Sunday(remem. those?)!! i got a 43.5 in., 27 lb. "no return" on my wall at home-J-man,what did you use to weigh that hog? Point of info-hybrids have broken stripes, trues don't.Thx.

16. catking

catking Banned

You could be 100% correct chuckie. I know down here in the SW, lakes that once had weeds, don't now. But we have no zebra mussels (YET). Grass carp is the culprit down here, that and the cone heads of the ODNR at times. They treated Ross lake in Chilicothe with weed control agents from an airplane. This once EXCELLENT fishing lake isn't a 1/4 as good as it once was. I wish they would quit worring about the weeds so much. CATKING

17. AFTER THE WATER LETS DOWN YOU CAN GO TO THE UNDER SIDE OF THE BRIGDE OF BERLIN AND SEE FIRST HAND THE AMOUNT OF CLAMS ALONG THE ROCK. LET ME TELL YA IT STINKS! TONS OF THEM! THEY GRAB A HOLD OF ANYTHING THEY CAN. I HAVE NOTICED ALOT MORE THE LAST FEW YEARS AT WEST BRANCH BUT I THOUGHT THIS WAS BECAUSE OF THE LACK OF WEEDS. ALTHOUGH THE LAKES ARE STARTING TO CLEAR UP,IT STILL TAKES SILT TO HOLD WEEDS. THE DIRTIER THE LAKE THE BETTER THE WEED GROWTH. MOST OF IT I THINK STILL HAS TO DO WITH CONSTANT WATER LEVEL CHANGES. IF THEY ARE ABLE TO HOLD THE WATER LEVEL CONSISTANT IN THE SPRING TO FALL HOPEFULLY THE WEEDS WILL RETURN! :confused: JIG

18. The Guy At The 14 Bait House Wieghed The Fish. He Told Me It Was A Pure. I Have To Get Some Scale Samples To Akron.

19. :eek: JIG, you may have caught the last one of the stocked stripers. though i've heard they can live up to 30 years, under ideal conditions(WB?), they were last stocked(according to a buddy who knows those guys who do the stockings), in 1988, and started the hybrids! he put me onto them around 1990. Son and I, one aug. early morning in 1992, got 8, kept two(GREAT eating) the day Jay caught the aforementioned one on the wall, it "towed" (true!)my 16.5' seanympth halfway across the face of the dam at wb before slowing down. it took maybe 20 mins. to land. we actually started a frenzy-they were smashing hand sized gills and crappies on the surface. we only quit on them because "our arms got tired"(true, again!)but i'm not tellin you anything! mad: damn, i miss those fish!!