close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Went to Dicks

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CPTN.CROWN, Mar 5, 2005.

1. WEll guys I can say that you will never see me there again. Very disapointed in the store. They had no selection on anything. They had 2 rows of crank baits, 1 was rapala and the rest was misc. For saugeye fisherman the crank bait selection sucks. The rod selection sucks, and the reel selection sucks.

Sorry JBJ but just stating my opinion!!!

2. I too went today and was not impressed. Aren't these the same people who worked at Galyans (sp)? I almost had to tackle an individual in the fitness department to get some questions answered. The fishing department was worse.
    The part that really pissed me off was I went through check-out and I didn't think my total was right. I went and checked the pricing on the shelf and figured out they over charged me by a little over $13. They did make good on it. Like I said, I might give them one more shot, otherwise it's Sportsmart and Gander Mountain, which I am really beginning to like, for my sporting needs.

3. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

every once in awhile dick,s will throw something in the paper to grab your attention but over all it isn,t much better than k-mart and at least k-mart has an excuse.......they arn,t a sporting goods store, but dick,s must be doing something right cause they are still in business, as far as i,m concerned they have never really impressed me but i do stop in their store to look around if all other stores are out of a particular item and i also like rummaging around in the $1.00 barrels they have thurout the store, if i thought i could get away with it i would add another word to the end of dick,s but i won,t go there.

4. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

They are similar to a Kmart for tackle, mostly low end stuff. I think they make their money off clothes & shoes. They used to have better stuff, back when they 1st opened here (Cinti)

5. Went to Dicks Thursday. I wanted to get some Uncle Josh pork frogs. They didn't have one jar of pork rind in the store. Left, probably never to go back. Dicks has become The YUPPIE store.

6. sowbelly101

sowbelly101 Keep'n It Reel

dicks can kiss my money goodbye, and i hope everyone else's too. that place has been a wreck for a while (sawmill) and nothing seems to change.

boycott the place, go to gander atleast there stock is organized...

sowbelly

7. i went there last weekend. had a 30$ gift certificate from a relative in akron for christmass. bought a license and a few baits. the pricing wasn't all that great, except for the stuff with a orange tag on it. if you're a jig fisherman, there are no rods there. jig fishing needs good rods, there are none there. the reel selection sucked and the stock was limited. i never go into the other sections so how good that stuff is, is unknow to me. i'd rate the store a low c or a high d.

as for gander, i find the gear there about mediocer, some good rod and reels but no deals on the price. they seem to lack the stock that an ultra light jig fisherman needs. i'd give then a good grade on rods and reels and a bad grade on grub bodies and small jig heads.

of the two stores i'd rather gander but i think i'm going to drive to buckeye lake or shop on line.

8. Freeze

Freeze Cisco Kid

yeah, Dick's is definitely for a casual fisherman. What I can't figure out is they seem to carry higher end lines in other departments, especially shoes, but they just don't get it when it comes to fishing. They have a glass case for reels, but not one Chronarch in it. Seems like the profit margin for them would be better with the better equipment but they've out lived other sporting goods stores so what do I know.

9. Minor

Minor Wannabe Fisherman

Have both a Dick's and a Gandar Mountain within 1/2 mile of each other near me . . .have to say . . . I rarely visit Dicks . . .usually only visit there if i'm looking for a new ski vest for one of the kids or a new tube . . . .when it comes to fishing equipment . . .can only remember buying a single hot n tot from there when it comes to fishing. . .:( . ..and the couple times i did ask about a fishing item . . .seems that the help just has no clue . . :( . . .

10. I know what you guys mean.The 1st DICKS I went to was at ROBINSON township mall on RT 22 in PA.They had everything at first when they opened up.I had to go up to that mall with my wife not to long ago so I stopped in.It seems after they opened up they don't do a very good job of restocking their racks.For a year they were really good but I was disappointed at my last visit.
    Gander Mountain in Washington PA. has some good prices on crankbaits and tackle boxes.I bought a PLANO 777 10 BUCKS cheaper than CABALAS just down the road.

11. Reel Lady

Reel Lady Dreams DO come true!

We used to go to Galyans in Legacy Village all of the time. The staff was knowledgable, friendly, and always close by if you should need any assistance.
    But after our last visit there, it was clear that the change of ownership has hurt this store, not helped it. For instance...the first thing I noticed was the fact that the parking lot was practically empty! When it was Galyans, the opposite was true.
    I found many many items on shelves that were not priced, and there were also many boxes of merchandise cluttering the isles. ( I guess this was on its way to the shelves, but never quite made it there)
    The staff, for the most part pretty much just seemed distracted and uninterested. Don't get me wrong, they looked busy, but I'm not quite sure what it was that they were busy with cuz it wasn't me! :eek:
    The store seemed to lose it's "warm" and "welcoming" feeling. And the whole time that we were there, I think I only saw 1 or 2 other customers.
    According to an inside source that I met while there, Dicks is not very happy in this location because "They do not like playing by anyone elses rules, other than their own." and that the "Fit in this location is rather questionable".
    My personal opinion is that this location would make a FANTASTIC BASS PRO SHOPs or CABELAS. Seriously, with Lake Erie being just a stones throw away from that location (along with many other public fishing waters), I think that would be the ideal spot for one of the Big Boys to call home. The customer base is there, the money is there, the public water access is there...and most importantly...its only 20 minutes from what would be their favorite customer... ME! Pardon my drool while I dream about this potential scenerio...lol :D

12. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

JBJ. I know your trying man, but please copy and print this off for your bosses! It's a shame this is happening, but I also had an employee treat me like I was some nut since I was asking about tackle and not roller blades or some other yuppie item. I hope your bosses listen to the members. You (as Galyons) did a great business on Sawmill, I can only hope they at least give it serious consideration before they loose more customers. I feel for ya man. Good luck.

13. skipjack11

skipjack11 retread member

I suspect most of their profit comes from clothing made in China. I have a gift certificate from last Christmas which I will probably use on clothing before it expires.

14. It’s the same at the Dick’s on the west side of Toledo too.
    Your description of the Columbus store sounds identical.

We have a Cabela’s about 25 minutes north of Dick’s, in Dundee.
    And a GanderMountain not 5 minutes east of Dick’s.

Anyone want to venture a guess as to the last time I was at Dick’s?

15. Since I lieve near the Dick's in Montrose (just west of Akron/Fairlawn), I drop by occasionally to try and use my xmas gift cards. The fishing dept is fair and I'm being kind. Very limited on stinger spoons, xraps, rods, reels. If I wanted a $25 woosh tshirt i'd be in paradise though. So i pick up my basic jigs, fishing line (couldn't find much clear stren, go figure), 3700 boxes, etc. until gift card done, then shop cabelas catalog from comfort of easy chair at home, away from yups lusting for latest woosh colors and styles.

16. big_fish

big_fish the fish whisperer

i watch the adds in sunday paper they usualy throw something in there real cheap just to get you in the store I bought a pair of waders(hip) last sunday for 15.00 and they did have a few tents that were fair priced but other than that I don't think they really cater to a serious angler the first time I went to dicks in robinson they were loaded to the gills this was before they built the mall but they suck now I would rather drive to gander mountain and I have to pass a cabelas to get therenothing against cabelas but gander got there price beat just my opinion tight lines

17. good point on the Dicks' ad deals.....got the last pair of $15 hip waders on my last visit.

18. I was over at the one by Easton two weeks ago and probably won't be back ever. The store was in shambles. It really didn't seem like it was organized. The rolling racks were just pushed to the back of the store and you really couldn't find anything. Some of their "clearance" items were only like $.15-.25 off. Woopy a hole quarter. That means I could get a gum ball. Not impressed at all. They were making such a big deal about this merger/buyout what ever but I think it is going to cost them a whole lot of money. Oh and I don't think I seen one employee other than the ones at the registers.

19. If you guys want to go to a place with a large selection of fishing gear, try Fin Feather Fur Outfitters in Ashland, Oh. It's at the intersection of I 71 and St. Rt. 250. If there is something you're looking for they probably have it. I'm not saying that the prices are the best but the selection is. The store is about 70000 sq. feet with guns fishing and clothing. If you're on I 71 stop in and let me know what you think.