close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Went to Alum today.

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by FishJunky, Feb 23, 2005.

1. FishJunky

FishJunky AEP Tuber Association

Went to alum today below the dam... Few guys out fishing but nothing was happening... Saw alot of dead fish though.. Saw one eye that had to go six or seven pounds when alive... I just enjoyed getting out and throwing a line in the water... :D

2. Just a little ice left in the bays. They opened the marina ramp and the ice is gone at the Galena ramp. The water in the lower lake looked like it was clearing up pretty good from last week, but still a little muddy around Cheshire bridge.

3. Does that mean we should get our boats out there soon Buzz?

Eric

4. tpet96

tpet96 Banned

There are always dead fish down there after they have had the spillway open for some time. Must be fish pushing through the fast water, or getting caught in the current. We've actually seen a couple of headless spoonbills down at Deer Creek. The DNR officer told us that is common as they swim into the current of the spillway sideways, and the current actually rips their head from their bodies. Saw a saugeye like this down at Alum once. Kinda luck if you will. My buddy and I were casting rattle traps after dark (back before it became a weed mess in the lower end of the spillway). Anywho.......he snagged the back carcass of a dead saugeye. About 3 casts later in that same area, he snagged the head of the fish. Perfect match. LOL. How many times in a lifetime can you do that?

5. catking

catking Banned

'Tis the season for cut baits below the dams ;) ........ Good story tpet :D .THE CATKING !!!

6. TPet,
    did that this year. Except I caught the head and caught some skin on a couple casts later. It was a nice head, probably from a 4 or 5#er.. Below Alum as well.
    So what you are saying is that the ODNR thinks these fish are swimming into the current and are not actually coming from the top of the lake? - Interesting.
    By the way, I haven't been down to Alum lately but from what I have heard from everyone I talk to, fishing is about as slow as it has been in awhile.
    ying