close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Well Said BKR

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Hooch, Nov 30, 2004.

1. Hooch

Hooch Fare Thee Well!

I always thought that a saugeye was a cross between a Walleye and a Sauger, and that the Saugeye was sterile. If that is true, they would not use Saugeye for breeding...would they? I agree that there are state record fish swimming in Antrim and they will continue to do so, for all the reasons Sowbelly mentioned, and the fact that it is so deep and non accessible. It's true the Olentangy occasionally does flood into the lake, stocking it with all the species that swim the river system...that would include a Saugeye.
    -Hooch-

2. Ok, first I believe we all just want to have a theory. -without it, what fun would it be. I mean come on, a guy fishing for trout in a lake that isn't stocked with saugeye catches almost the WORLD RECORD, the day the ODNR stocks. It beats the old state record by nearly 2#'s! If there is any imagination at all on this site, and we all know being fishermen there is.. There has to be something else that can be made of this instead of just saying the fish was there, it was caught and that is that. - That's no fun.
    I, for the sake of thinking that the fish may have come from the lake I fish all the time, say... conspiracy! - That will keep me fishing for one a little larger. I know when I fished before I truly felt I could catch the next state record on any cast. Now, I don't want to squash my dreams or the dreams of many on here.
    Plus, I really think it might come out that it was a walleye! -

only kidding.

and yes, I too wish I was lucky enough to catch it.

3. catking

catking Banned

I believe Hooch meant for this to be in the thread about the state record at Atrium. Anyway, saugeye are indeed a cross between Walleye and sauger. But they are also present in the wild , and do reproduce..CATKING

4. I have heard several reports of crappie fishermen catching monster fish when all they were looking for was crappie. So it does happen. For the sake of the guy who caught the fish, I hope your theories are wrong about it being planted in Antrim. Regardless of the way it got there, if it turns out to be a true saugeye then the record is his...and may be for a while.

5. i think the current record walleye was caught by someone targeting perch?

6. Cobras,

You are correct-the current Ohio state record walleye was caught by a perch fisherman-but in a body of water known for large, potential record breaking walleye (Lake Erie)!

BTW-What's the diff whether it was planted in Antrim by a bucket biologist or swam there, or even if it came from a farm pond? Congrats to the guy-right time-right place! Don't take this the wrong way, but I would have liked to have seen the record fall to someone who has "paid their dues" (i.e. cold windy nights, snow, numb fingers). Maybe he has "paid his dues" and just got lucky that day on a doughball! You know if you have been there and manned it out! ;-)

Toolman

7. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

No doubt...I don't think that any of the discussion about the eye has been aimed at discrediting the guys catch...let's face it, we would all most likely kill to be in his shoes.

But it does raise some "what-ifs", and it's interesting to hear the differring opinions as to how that pig got into a big pond like Antrim. All anyone can do is speculate, and there's some pretty probable ideas everyone has thrown around. I guess the best part about the fish itself, regardless of it's origin, was that it was caught from public waters, and not some guy's backyard.

My hats off to the guy!

8. fishingredhawk

fishingredhawk Ohio Hawg Hunter

Wherever it came from, what a hog! I only questioned it because I am jealous! I know for a fact that there are some huge fish in that lake. I have never told this story because I did't want everyone to swarm the lake, but now is a good time to tell it. And besides, it is so hard to access the deeper water from the shore that it really is pure luck to hook up with something out of there. Anyways, I was fishing for trout the day after they released the smaller ones last fall. I was throwing red rooster tails, and wasn't catching anything. I noticed a guy 20 yards from me who was catching some so I went over to talk to him. He had taken his limit on crawlers, so he gave me a few and he put on one of those huge slip bobbers with a clump of crawlers on the other end and launched it as far as he could. Within five minutes something hit and took the bobber down. It took off like mad, and probably stripped 40 yards on its way to deeper water. We both figured that the beast was a carp or a catfish. He had 10lb mono on and was nervous that the fish would snap his line, so he lightened the drag pretty liberally. He fought the hog for maybe 10 minutes and had it 15 feet from the shore, but it kept making runs every time we could almost see it. It hadn't jumped so we knew it wasn't a bass, but it wasn't making horizontal runs like cats usually do. This guy finally nursed it to about 10 feet, and I took his net and waded out towards the fish to net it. My heart was racing with anticipation. Then I saw it! I swear this is the truth. What emerged from the cloud of muddy water was the biggest largemouth I have ever seen in my entire life. If i had to guess, I would say that it was 12lbs. I mean it was HUGE! I yelled at him and told him that it was a bass, and the dude panicked. He started franticly reeling to get it within my reach, and it just came unbuttoned. It was only 3-4 feet away from me, but it paused for a moment and then slowly swam off. The guy was heartbroken, and I wanted to slap him for blowing it! He said that the line had snapped, but I didn't have the heart to tell him that his knot had come undone, evidenced by the curly end of his mono. Since that experience, I have come to realize the potential that Ohio waters have, especially small, deep lakes like Antrim. Sorry about the length of this post, but that story reminds me of my favorite thing about fishing...The hope of a record on every cast, and the unknown of what is lurking out there.

9. i feel ya on the dues thing toolman. the romantic thing is for a bluecat guy to get the bluecat record and right down the line. the lake logan record that held for 10 years was caught by a guy using borrowed takle and gear.

10. Sorry, Catking, saugeye's can't reproduce as they are a 1st generation cross between two different, but closely related species : sauger (male) and a walleye (female). They are a hybrid species and, as such, are sterile. The saugeye female develops eggs, the male develops milt, they go through the spawning motions, but neither the eggs nor the milt are fecund (fertile). Because of this infertility, saugeye becomes a put-and-take fishery (similarly to hatchery-raised trout) and ODNR has to do annual stockings to maintain the fishery. If saugeyes could reproduce naturally, then there would be no reason to do annual stockings. Saugeye's can be present in the wild, as you correctly pointed out, if saugers and walleyes closely co-exist (share the same spawning areas). I believe in some parts of the Ohio River, this situation occurs.

For some reason, fishery biologists all over the country have always had a yen to hybirdize fish species (trying to build the better mouse trap ??). Splake (brook trout/lake trout cross), cutbow (cutthroat/rainbow), wiper (white bass/stripper), mean mouth (largemouth/smallmouth) are examples I'm aware of and I'm sure there's others. I believe Ohio was the first state to successfully develop the saugeye hybrid in 1977 and it's become a great fishery for Ohio anglers, particularly those without access to a boat.

How did a saugeye get in Antrim? Who really knows for sure, but the notion that water fowl stock lakes by carrying fish eyes on their feet is a myth ! (seen that idea on a previous post)

11. ShakeDown

Meanmouth...never heard of those. Would love to see a pic!

12. Oh man! Gary, I hope for your sake Jim Corey doesn't see this. It'll be like watching Godzilla vs Mothra. :p

13. Capt'n Clueless what you said is true but....and its a big but.....lol
    they have found in area lakes and in the ohio river that saugeyes have reproduce...
    to quote a movie...(jurassic park)
    "mother nature finds a way".....
    i think back when they started this cross breading that they couldnt reproduce...but over years and years mother nature stepped in and said "hum...what a cool fish"....lol
    fish4wall

14. I was just thinking the same thing but could not have put it so articulately. ;)

I have read quite a bit over the years on the fertility of saugeyes and from what I have been able to conclude (with part of the literature coming from Jim Corey) was that they can reproduce. It seems that an old wife's tale states that hybrids can not reproeduce. I use to hear it all the time as well. But the reason that the saugeyes do not reproduce in our lakes (except in very small numbers) is due to other environmental factors, lake drawdown, other water level fluctuations, lake bottom not suitable, etc. So if what I have said here comes under scrutiny then I will be forced to call on Mr. Corey himself. :D :D

15. Not sure where this one's heading, but here's the DNR's link to Saugeye ID
    (Note that they can reproduce with parent stock):

http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/wildlife/fishing/aquanotes-fishid/saugeye.htm

Congrats to the gentleman for his catch. I wondered how long the current record would stand as ODNRs stocking program has been going long enough now and become aggressive and widespread to place a lot of older fish into the system. Probably only a matter of time until it is broken again. Like the old saying goes "rules...I mean records are made to be broken;-)

Toolman

16. Now that you mention it I would probably have to lay out quite a map to explain how we ended up at this conversation from starting on a state record catch. :rolleyes: But then again you know how we fishermen like to carry on. :D

17. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

shake,i don't know if anyone ever carried that program very far,but i read about them years ago.many years ago ;)
    i don't know,but they could occur possibly naturally in some places,as evidenced by this pic of the missouri state record caught in 2003 :) [​IMG]

18. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

thats a nice lookin fish...makes me wonder why human likes to mess with mother nature..

19. ShakeDown

Thanks Rick...wild lookin. Wonder what that funk is around it's mouth?