close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Well it's that time of year again

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by "J", May 1, 2004.

1. "J"

"J"

Time to get the boats out of storage and go thru everything to make sure it works and to make sure that all of your required equipment both safety and fishing are on board, if you're like me you always have something in the back of your mind saying that you've missed something, well I usually go to the ODNR web site to refresh my memory especially since I'm getting older and more forgetfull then ever :eek: anyway I'm posting the link to help out anyone that would like to review it and refresh those steal traps we like to call our memory. "J"
    http://www.dnr.state.oh.us/watercraft/laws/powerboat.htm

2. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

I got checked a month ago by a city guy on O'Shaugnessy...he brought up a point that I hadn't heard before. Said that my flare gun would be considered a FIREARM and WAY illegal in PA and Canada...so if I was making a trip to either, to make sure and remove the flaregun from my boat. Never heard that before.

Then again, the same guy discharged my fire ext. in my brother's face when he hit the "test" button, so I'm not sure what to think about what he was telling me. He gave me one of those "welp, you need to replace that extinguisher"...all I could think was "cool...I'll just bill your office, since it was FINE before you blasted it". Was kinda worth it to see my brother soil himself when that thing went off at him...PRICELESS :D

3. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

ShakeDown, thats great!! :D

4. catking

catking Banned

That ,I would love to have seen :D CATKING

5. "J"

"J"

I'd call them and tell them that they need to replace my fire ext. It's pretty bad when the guy checking the equipment doesn't know how to use it :rolleyes: . Anyway took the boat out for the first time this year, started right up and ran fine, no problems to speak of so here's to another fishing season hopefully I'll be here to enjoy it. "J"

6. shadowman

shadowman Supreme Being

always nice when you get the boat on the water for the 1st and everything goes as planned, always nice. :cool:

7. Worm Drowner

Worm Drowner Banned

We usually try to get someone from watercraft out at one of our first outings so we can get inspected and get our stickers for the year. It saves any hassles later on and makes certain that we are safe on the water.

I knew flare guns were illegal in Canada but I have never heard anything about them in PA.

8. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

The only thing that I have heard is that you must keep the flare cartridge out of the gun. It must be at all times kept unloaded. When given a check, if its loaded, then it can be considered a loaded weapon. It sounds like we need some "definite" clarification on this issue.

9. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Perfect question for out first scheduled chat with the ODNR rep coming up :D

Only thing that has really bugged me, happened last year. We had a tournament, like we always do at the same place, same time every week...the city guys decided to check us all as we launched, delaying the start. Not ONE failed the test...I just thought they could've used better timing. This wasn't DNR guys, it was Cols Police/City who patrol Griggs/Oshay.

10. "J"

"J"

If it is supposed to be illegal to have it in Pa. then how do you get away with it on Lake Erie? It is still Pa. isn't it, so how can they site you? Just trying to understand where that guy was comming from. "J"

11. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

I always hunt down the watercraft officer the first few times i'm out to get my sticker.Did that on eastfork 3 to 4 weekends ago.Makes you feel secure that you don't have to worry about it and that you have everything. ;)