close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Well I cant be fixed

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by CPTN.CROWN, Jun 11, 2005.

1. Just got back from the surgeon. At this point in time there is no surgical procudere that they can do to fix anything or eleviate any of my pain. She said she would make me an appointment with 3 different neuro surgeons that have no ties(business) with her if I wanted second opnions. Im going to go with someone she doesent recomend because It wouldnt suprise me if they could be friends and cover one anothers but. Not saying that she we can prove that she did something wrong at this point, but Id like an opinion from a non biased 3rd party!!! She cant explain why my legs are numb, or giving out on me, hell she couldnt explain anything that was wrong :( :rolleyes: She did say that I should apply and would be approved for ssi due to my condition, just cant seem to bring myself to being on ssi at 28yrs old. But a mans gotta do what a mans gotta do to take care of the family!! Anyway just thought id post what she said!

Take care guys and gals

Jason

2. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

Thats terrible, I wish the best for you.

3. Good Luck with Social Security!!Get yourself a good law group and dont mess around!!If you do it yourself they deny it the first time around usually??I've been messed up like you since 1996 and it dont get better!!Barkan and Neff is one that comes to mind??Remember the squeeky hinge gets the oil!!Govt. bureaucrats are sometimes the worlds biggest a-holes!!but sometimes you run into an angel?it takes 1-2 yrs sometimes to go thru"channels"?? Is your condition connected with workmens comp? thats another story!!good luck Capt!!!I praying for you!! ;)

4. catking

catking Banned

You have one HUGE thing going for you and your condition. You are a very young man. It wouldn't surprise me that in the next 5-10 years things like you have will be easily fixed.... Hey, look at what they do now with joint replacements... A few years ago some people thought they were crippled for life, now they have new hips & knees that they can literally RUN on. I've seen so many things change in my life from people who got Polio that in a few short years it wasn't even a concern.... I had my knee operated on when I was in high school . It left a 2' scar . Now they scope the same procedure and you are good to go .Look at eye lazer. Used to be people had to walk around with glasses all the time. Not now.Hey, our advances in medicine leaps so fast it's hard to keep up with.... I have ever bit of faith that you will be fine in a few years , if not sooner !!!!! Keep the chin up buddy.... It will happen... THE CATKING !!!

5. crappielooker

crappielooker The Corn Chucker

dood.. did you asked her about goin fishin'?? :D
    seriously tho, i hate to hear that crap from your doctor.. just hang tight buddy.. ;)

6. Catking the one of the biggest problems is scar tissue wraped around one of my nerves. There is no way to get rid of scar tissue. Plus got a serious case of arthritus. We have all seen what happens when you take arthritus medicine.

Crappie Ill be able to fish, not shore if from a boat or not, but even if I got to spend the next couple of days in bed, Im still going fishn!!

7. Cat Mazter

Cat Mazter Pro Catfisherman

I was told when I was 33 that they couldnt do anything else for me either. You should have it documented that the scar tissue is a Condition by its self. Its called Arachnoiditis. I applied for SSD & got it with no help from any Lawyer. A Spinal Cord Stimulator would help you out with the Pain too, I cant go anywhere without mine turned on.

I hate to hear that she dont have any answers for you. I have been this way since I was 27, & your right you have to do what it takes to keep your family going. Its horrible to go thru, But your not alone buddy. I feel your pain & frustration. Go get that 2nd Opinion & ask about Arachnoiditis, it will be a Big help on your SSI when you go to put in for it. You should be able to get it on your Medical records alone.

Hang in there & if I can do anything for you let me know, I have been thru the ringer with Dr's , Meds, & everything you can think of. Talking to others helps out alot too. But its no cure. We just have to do the best we can. Stay positive & your in my Thoughts & Prayers.
    Cat Mazter

8. catking

catking Banned

Think positive Jason ;) I know it must be hard but look at it like this, They have no way of fixing scar tisue NOW ;) At one time they had no way of fixing worn out joints ( replacements) curing Tuburqulosis (TB) now they do. Like I said Polio was devestating now it's nothing. Hell, I remember the very first heart transplant done in 1967 ... that was the FIRST... Now they do heart transplants like it was pulling teeth... Back in those days when word got out they were going to transplant a heart , 99% of the people said NO FREAKIN WAY ........... ;) Like I said, man you are YOUNG, hell 28 . Think positive..... ;) ...... Rick :)

9. catking

catking Banned

Hey Jason- Little known secret of mine- I was borned with no hip socket on my right leg. People who met me know I walk with a limp . I was borned more or less crippled and not a chance in hell of walking....... Well , I was one of the very first person in the United States to have reconstructive hip surgery at Cincinnati Childrens Hospital . This was back in 1961 ...The doctor re-build my hip and gave me a hip socket and built a ball joint. This left my leg shorter than the other, but 45 years later, I'm still walking ;) My parents found out later that the doctor ordered a book from Germany and followed the step by step procedure to do my hip... Took 14 hours to do it. I owe alot to that doctor who passed away in the 70's ... Hey, ANYTHING is possible with medicine..... ;)

10. Cat the pain managemnt doc said he wouldnt consider that untill i was 1 year out from surgery. Im 6 months now. But I see him monday and ask him about the Arachnoiditis.

11. catking

catking Banned

I was borned in 1957- they waited for a few years before the operation because there was no operation... that was my point ;)

12. Catking I understand what you are saying. But the complexity of spinal surgey vs. replacing a hip are not even on the same level. If they hit a nerve replacing your hip you will have a numb spot for a while. If they hit a nerve doing spinal surgery you aint walking. Unlike every other part of your body nerves in the spinal canal dont regenerate. So once its damaged your screwed. There have been some advancements in spinal surgerys since Christopher Reeves was injured, but there is no way to fix a nerve on your spinal canal. Just one of those areas you dont want to be foolin around with, nor do you want to be a test dummy!! My sister fell when she was 2 1/2 years old. Because of swelling, and the doctors not giving her the steroid to stop the swelling in her back it hit one of her nerves on her spine. She is now paralyzed and 19 years old. There are miracles in medicine, but when it comes to spinal problems there are just some things that cant be messed with, and unfortunatley that is one of them. I can still walk, and go to the bathroom and thank god for that every day. But going to amusement parks, and going out on Erie when she is roaring wont happen for me anymore. It could be a hell of allot worse, but its not and Ill do what I can do when I can do it!!

13. H2O Mellon

H2O Mellon Hangin' With My Gnomies

Good job King, way to beat the odds now if they could something for your looks...... :D

Tahoe, Dont feel bad about SSI,. man you have paid into, I have paid into, it is set up for someone just like yourself. Be proud that you've worked as long as you have, I know its had to been painful. King is right, man in a few years (maybe less) they could have you new again, & shoot you'd not even be 40 years old. I am sure you will have the support of your real family, but I think ther are alot of folks on here that would go out of their way to help you ever how you need it.

Your family needs ya man, be stroing for them. We will all pray that God is able to provide something for you. Didnt mean to make it religious, but hang in there man. We will be pulling for ya.

14. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Jason, who was your doctor? The reason I ask is I've had several doctors treating my back and neck injuries. I'm 56 (well almost) and have had three bad back injuries. I have seen some great doctors and might recommend a few to you. I still have pain and still have bad days, but the good ones out number the bad ones. Never say never! I DO understand back problems! I've lived with them for over 20 years, It's just I've seen some doctors that say nothing can be done and another one says things can. So again don't say never. go see several doctors if you have to, you might be surprised what you find out.

15. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

I have suffered with pack pain since I was in my teens..I have wanted to have surgery for years but put it off for fear it would turn out like yours....I have days when I have to hold onto the wall at work just to walk, it sucks.

16. Dale ,The neurosurgeon is Janet Bay. She came highly recomended by my sisters doc who has been treating her for 16 years. She is a very close friend of the family, I dont think i can remember a holiday in the past 10 years that she hasnt been at our house. She was shocked to hear about the problems, and shocked again when i faxed her my mri report. Ive got alot of faith in my pain management dr. He helped my grandpa out beyond belief and probably kept him alive 10 years longer than he would of lived. His back was so screwed up that he couldnt walk. Put a morphine pump directly into his spine and with daily pain meds he was able to walk. So hopefully they will be able to do something like cat mazter is talking about. A spinal stimulater but he wont do it for another 6 months. So Ive got to deal with this untill that point. If that dont work then they will probably put the morphine pump in. Becuase it is directly into your spinal canal it doesent have the same effects as if you were to get a shot of it, or take it orally. So its like they taugt me in the army, Hury up and wait!! ;)

17. catking

catking Banned

Hey Jason- I wasn't trying to compare hips to back. What I'm trying to say is if you give up mentally, you are GONE ;) You cannot possibly say they will never be able to work on a back , hell , I'll say they will be able to transplant brains in a few years... ;) ..........Keep the faith man !! 28 years old ? crap, in 20 years we will be flying around like we are driving now :D it's called progress and it is going to happen.... Hey, like I said , they transplant HEARTS now, and back in the 60's people said the same thing. It will NEVER happen.... Now hearts are alot more complicated than hips .... ;) Good luck to you buddy....... Rick

18. Ill never give up my man, IT JUST AINT IN MY BLOOD ;)

19. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

Jason, I had to go in and have the nerves "killed" off is what they called it. They went in at 8 different locations and levels with needles and using high frequency sound waves killed off some nerves. It did help quite a lot for a while. Now it is starting to come back. The pain docs say I can have it done again. Hey I'm only on two 750 mg. pain pills a day now :D That explains why I'm the way I am. :rolleyes: All kidding aside I feel for you 100%. I have been there. Stick with it man, there are a lot of good doctors out there.
    Oh yes, all of my doctors are at Ohio Orthropedics on Sawmill now. They have done some great things with me. I have heard of Dr. Bay too, she is good. I just hope you can find the right thing that will help you out.

20. dale do you see dr fitz?