Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I turned over a new leaf,I was tired of people complaining about the cost,if you want me to do it you bring the .filler metal,argon ,tungsten or at least come with your research of products,,I don't weld much any more to much of a pain,you have to charge to much,I just did a Stainless Job ,10 lb 308-16 $179,and 308L 10lb $199 Tungsten $5 for 7" pc, argon $50,not counting Gas and wear and tear,,the guy supplied everything,he did not like my price but after he bought the supplies he under stood,I also did a Silver braze job for him he bought a 1/4 lb of BCUP 5 and paid $187 for it,,prices are crazy now,

·
USMC 1979-1983
2,283 Posts
Industrial metals are at all time highs although nickel has been higher it is still very high. Now there is another Helium shortage coming soon, wait until that impacts the welding industry, fortunately you can usually get by with Argon but some jobs do require Helium.
I've been in the welding industry since the 1970's and have seen alot of changes.
If anyone is looking for a new profession the welding industry is hurting badly for qualified welders. Especially in the boiler/pressure vessel, pressure piping and bridge construction trades. Qualified welders are in demand, may have to relocate but there are many positions that need filled.

·
Registered
2,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Industrial metals are at all time highs although nickel has been higher it is still very high. Now there is another Helium shortage coming soon, wait until that impacts the welding industry, fortunately you can usually get by with Argon but some jobs do require Helium.
I've been in the welding industry since the 1970's and have seen alot of changes.
If anyone is looking for a new profession the welding industry is hurting badly for qualified welders. Especially in the boiler/pressure vessel, pressure piping and bridge construction trades. Qualified welders are in demand, may have to relocate but there are many positions that need filled.
you are right I have never been without work since 1970,I have been Certified in about every type and position,I think the biggest problem younger people would rather be a fitter than weld ,I have made a ton of money welding in the Nuclear industry,look at the welding industry how it has evolved over the years I started out as a Air frame welder,,and then moved on ,I have found that you need to keep up with the times,I think I have attended about every class available ,until I retired ,I still have to keep up because I instruct part time ,,I just attended a class on remote welding again,it has improved a little over the years ,better watching the welding on the monitor than sucking all the zoomies doing it by hand,,

if you can weld you can always find work even in this economy,but a lot of it is production and does not pay that well but you have to start some where

·
1,915 Posts
I do a lot of stainless welding and nickel welding it's breaking my back!!I don't mind a few sparks and slight burns but crouching over hot steel for hours on end IS backbreaking work. We use 309 stainless and high nickel wire in 3/32 size. I work for a special metals plant most of the guy's try their best to not do any welding but it's part of the job.supplies and equipment cost more than I could afford on my own.And you are dead right about the jobs available.Sad thing is most welders are well over 50 years old and burned out! Don't take this the wrong way, but the younger guy's where I work are lazy and don't care as long they get a paycheck!?

·
Registered
9,656 Posts
My kid does occasional(sideline) drywall finishing. He solved the "materials" problem by having the customer go get it and he only charges for the labor. Noone thinks premixed drywall mud is expensive, until they buy it! They thought he just threw some stuff together and added water! I can only imagine what the cost of welding metals must be today!!

·
Registered
1,087 Posts
I work at the manufacturing end of the welding industry, I have been making the MIG and flux core wire for 20 years now and have been at the company welding school, I can take all the classes and get all the certifications free of charge, I have weighed all the pros and con and I can honesty say I have no desire to make welding a career, have a good friend that I worked with,He went to school and got certified, he is now a journeyman, boiler maker and makes a good living but often has to spend time away from his family, my hats off to all you welders! It's not an easy job,

OutdoorHub Mobile, the information engine of the outdoors

·
Registered
2,044 Posts
I'm an out of work welder, have been applying for any job available. I can Mig, Tig, Flux core, Arc you name it I'm certified for just about anything except underwater and I get call backs thinking I'm going to get lucky and get a job offer only to be told I am over qualified or that my salary demands are to high. I have over 15 years experience and it has been my experience the past 2 1/2 years that younger guys with less experience are getting the jobs because companies can get away with paying a lower wage. There may be a lot of jobs for welding but the thing is there are so many out of work welders that companies can be extra picky in their hiring practices. I've been working as a chef at my sisters Catering company part time and if my wife wasn't working we'd have lost vehicles and the house already. I just keep plugging away and hopefully I'll find something. I'd go into business for myself but with money being tight our bank said that I'd have a hard time getting a small business loan even with our credit scores being damn near perfect. The sad thing is i love to weld and I'm damn good at it and I'd give anything to get back to work doing it.

·
Registered
350 Posts
I was a welder for 4 years building dump trailers. I loved it, nothing like taking a pile of metal, laying it out, welding it up and looking at the end result at the end of the day. Of course if your good at it, it makes it more enjoyabe.

I've been looking for another non-production welding job since, but haven't found anything worth leaving my current job for. I only have experience with MIG on steel and aluminum and never had to read blueprints (we had shop drawings) so I'm pretty limited. I've looked into some blueprint reading and different welding classes but haven't found the time or money to move forward with it.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts