close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Weird catch???

Discussion in 'Southwest Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Flathead King 06, Jul 30, 2007.

1. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

was fishing with a few buddies last night up at a community park...and were fishing for big cats so as usual we were using bluegills as bait...well we hadnt had many bites and all the sudden my bait clicker was going crazy so I ran over and set the hook, but it didnt feel like a cat while I was reeling it in, and when we got it on the bank...it was a CARP!!!!! yes a plain ole common carp took a 4" gill :eek: :confused:...I couldnt believe it...it made me so mad that it took my gill that I didnt take a picture of it, but it was around 6lb or 7lb I'd say...it shocked me...Ive caught carp on all kinds of things but never live bait that big, I mean Ive been fishing for crappie with minnows and hooked into them, but never while using live gills...anyone have any thoughts on this?

2. That is strange. I've caught them on corn and with worms and small minnows on accident, but never heard of that.

3. Odd for sure man... biggest fish of the night though?! haha My bluegill does not count.

4. you know i heard a couple of stories of carp hitting live gills when i used to pay-lake, never beleive it until i seen it for myself. a freind and i both caught a carp on two seperate occasions while using live gills in the river several years ago. i dont know if they hit it live or the gill got half eaten by craws or a turtle and then drew the carp....?

5. I have caught 2 carp fishing with shad in my life; both hard clicker screaming runs too. I have never caught one while fishing chubs or gills, but it doesn't surprise me all that much. I watched a guy crappie fishing with minnows at Clark Lake catch 5 carp (1-3lbs) in less than 20 minutes over by the dam.

I'll admit I don't know a lot about carp, but up until the point I saw this guy reeling them in on minnow I had no idea they would take live baits.

6. Flathead King 06

Flathead King 06 click...click...click

sure was a surprise to me!!! my clicker was taking out like a good solid bluecat run and then I hooked into it and I was thinking to myself..."Did I hook it..." it felt like I didnt have it, but sure was a first for me...

7. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

They eat all sorts of stuff, I recall jigging live shad on the Ohio river near a warm water discharge and catching more carp than anything else... so it definitally happens.

8. I've also caught them on live bait among other things,it seems like if they are hungry and it's in their face they will eat about anything.

9. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

My thought is, "It was hungry ." LOL

10. One of the biggest carp I ever caught was at the base lake at Offutt AFB in Omaha, NE. The lousy thing hit a gob of livers like it was starved and ran like its tail was on fire. To make matters worse, we hadn't been catching anything big so I hooked him on my light (4# test) outfit. That was a fight and a half! Got him in, though! 32 inches nose to tail. YOu never know what a fish will eat. A few weeks after that, my oldest son caught a LMB on a stale ckicken nugget. You just never know.

11. Over the past 3 years, I have caught 2 on jigging vibes and 2 on 1/2 oz jigging spoons. They had to have gone for the bait because all were hooked well into the mouth. The first one was in the bay at Kelley's Island. Thought I'd hooked a muskie or a giant sheeps head. It ran most of the line off the reel and I was chasing it around with the elec. trolling motor. Turned out to be about a 36" carp. It was fun, was'nt set up for anything that big. Was using a medlight pole with a small Cardinal spinning reel and 6# line.

12. I've caught them on pig & jig, spinner bait and crappie jigs. While night fishing once, I saw one eat practically every frey in a small school that getherred in my drop light. I've also caught flatheads on crank baits, channel cats on Senkos and rainbows on vienna sausage. Just when you think you have it figurred out that critter with a brain the size of a pea makes a fool of you.

13. scrawfrd02

scrawfrd02 LMR poison ivy master

i would say its father was a catfish who was blind, hooked up with a carp, a little pollution kicked in, and boom you have a catcarp