close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Weight Lifting Info

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by olwhitee, Mar 18, 2005.

1. I have vowed to get into better shape this year because I have realized I am way more out of shape then I thought. I have some tax money and I need to figure out what the best thing to get would be. With 3 younguns and a 70 hour a week job, I have no time to go to a gym. I am looking at home gym equip. I have a nice bench with a bar already, but need more.

Here is what I am torn between. Buying a bowflex gym, or just buying some free weight dumbells to go with my bench.

What would you guys do? I read on here how much everyone loves there bowflex, but I know free weights are better somehow.

What would you do??

2. Ruminator

Ruminator TeamOGF

Personally, I like the dumb bells and the versitility they offer to isolate each arm.

I don't know anything about the Bowflex for comparison though.

3. I just want to trash my trashy mid-drift...
    After back surgery I cannot do free weights...
    Let us know what you decided on and why...

On a side note what kind of better shape do you mean:
    better body tone or a better circulatory system or both?

4. oiwhitee,
    hey, i am a fairly avid weightlifter(3-5 days a week for 7 years) i never used a bowflex, but everybody i ever met uses it for a clothes rack, therefore free weights, and dumbells are the ticket because one arm cannot help the other.. look at those all in one smithmachines you can doe quite a bit ina limited space with those and i you move up in weight the smith machine can get you out of trouble with out a spotter..
    do not forget the importance of 30 min of cariovascular workout a couple times a week, this is the way to drop body with weight training, but you need to train your heart so you can enjoy the outdoors for a long time..
    good luck

5. My son bought one of those machine's Chuck Norris advertise. It is great!

6. Don't worry about getting in shape. If you continue to work 70 hrs a week you'll be dead before your in shape. ;)

7. Dingo

Dingo

Dumbells and/or weights for your bar. Spend the bucks on a good bench or two. Best to find a flat bench with all three positions (incline, flat, decline) and a seated bench that can be used for curls if you have some money left over. Keep an eye on the stores like Dicks for sales on the weights. The prices seem to be cyclical, so when a few outfits start competing, the prices will go below 40 cents/lb.

Also, get the "New Encyclopedia of Modern Bodybuilding" by Arnold Schwarzenegger (the fat one, over 800 pages). This book will instruct you on every exercise imaginable that can be done with free weights. Nutrititional advise as well. Like a users manual for your weights.

8. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

I would agree with the free weight method. I do 3 simple exercies 3-5 times a week and my arms and chest are pretty cut. Now, if I could just get my abs in shape. I hate doing situps.

9. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

weight training is only 1/3 of the solution if you want to get in shape.

the other 2/3 are diet and cardiovascular. those 2 are probably more important imo.

ive been through it.

10. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

if you are near the akron area, we have the bow flex and free weights set up in our store, Play it again sports near chapel hill mall, I work fridays and saturadys and would be happy to show ya what we have and what it does. little hint, if you go with a bow flex models, the scwinn models are cheaper.
    p.s. we have just about, or can order, anything with sporting goods or exercise equipment except fishing stuff....

11. I was looking pretty heavily into purchasing a Bowflex Ultimate XTLU. It was between that and a system called the Hoist V-2 Stack gym. Both ran about the same price. I haven't purchased either yet since I just purchased a work car.

12. Hey Bill...
    Sounds like you don't have much faith in that new car...
    Will you be pulling and pushing it everywhere you go to get your exercise? :p

13. FREE WEIGHTS are the way to go!

14. No, I like the car. It's a 2001 Honda Civic EX. It runs well and going to get great gas mileage.

15. ... I stand corrected...
    You should see that car flip 200K if you take care of it...
    Guess you will have to reel in all those bass for your exercise which is not bad at all... :D

I had over 400 lbs of steel I gave away before my back surgery because whenever I felt good I'd go lift and then I'd be toast for a week or two...
    Sure wish I now had them back...

16. Thanks guys, I thought that free weights were gonna be the answer, but I saw a post where a lot of people had that bowflex and loved it. Looks like I would be better off to buy some dumbells, and some sort of elliptical machine for working out the heart.

Anyone have opinions about what is best for cardio workout, elliptical, stationary bike?

17. i like free weights a lot better. my university rec center has tons of great machines but i rarely feel anything the next day. after using free weights i'm usually hurting the next morning or at least can tell i worked out.

18. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i've worked on the shwinn airdyne and it's great for a good overall cardio workout.i think it's the number one bike for commercial use.

19. lureboy98

lureboy98 Livin' the Lifestyle

I too like free weights although I've never used a bowflex I would pick free weights over a machine because the free weights isolate each arm and keep them even. I have found the best way to cut yourself up and the best ab workout for me is swimming. It is a total body workout as well as a cardiovascular activity.

20. Thanks guys, my wife and I went out to Mc Sports and bought a rack of free weights, and a schwinn stationary bike. When I combine this with my weight bench, I should be good to go. Now I just have to try to forget how good them Big Macs taste....lol