Weight for a truck

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Perchy101, Jan 9, 2009.

1. Perchy101

Perchy101 Here Fishy Fishy Fishy

My GF is borrowing her grandma's truck for awhile since its not being used...

How much weight should be put in the back of it for the winter? I was thinking about using those 40# bags of softer salt. Would this do the trick?

2. Darwin

Darwin If your gonna be a bear..

Yes that would work however I like the tube bags of sand. If you do get stuck you can use some of the sand for traction.

3. Perchy101

Thanks - Might go buy a bag of that just for that reason.

But - How much weight we talkin about?

4. You didn't say what kind of truck, so no one can answer that. Go with the sand, MUCH cheaper.

5. Perchy101

Sorry - Its a lil ford Ranger.

I chose water softern soft becuz I will use it once the season is over. Besides I can pick up bags of salt at Adli's for pretty cheap.

6. I've got a Ranger also and have two of the 70# tubes of sand in the bed. I've got a 2x4 holding them in place over the axle. This set up has worked so far.

7. ======================================================

Suggest you rethink the salt and go with sand. If a salt bag leaks you will have a continuing corrosion problem.

8. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

I need to get something for my truck too. I have a full sized chevy with 1 wheel peel...it sucks on ice.:( Where can you find sand bags?:confused:

9. soua0363

soua0363 Master of Nothing

I use concrete pavers. If you get a 24"x24"x2" concrete roofing paver, it will weigh about 90 pounds each. I have 4 of them but if its real slick out, it will slip and slide no matter how much weight you put in the bed.

10. Please try to strap down anything you use, had a friend who used semi truck brake drums for weights until he slid into a ditch and one drum flew through his rear window, thank god it was on the passenger side, that stuff flies around if you crash.

11. Exactly what Shortdrift said. Man granny is really going to be peed off big time when she finds you put a hundred plus pounds of salt in the metal bed of her truck and left it over the winter. please post after pics lol

12. alan farver

alan farver purple raiders softball

carter lumber has the sand tubes.not sure about lowes or home depot

13. Fishpro

Fishpro Northcoast Madman

Cool. We have a Carter here, I'll go check it out tomorrow.:)

14. Perchy101

Thanks Guys - After that being pointed out I will not use the salt bags =)

Thats why I came here 1st to ask....

15. ress

ress

Try putting the weight behind the axle. The push down from the weight is better between the axle and tailgate. Tried both ways and the later works better in my 1500 dodge 4x4.

16. shroomhunter

shroomhunter USMC 1979-1983

I always kept around 200 LBS centered over the axle, when the roads were dry I'd slide it up towards the cab. Having it over the wheels is important when it's slick. As far as driving on ice...it's all about stopping!!! That takes extreme caution, I always test my brakes at a slow speed in a safe area before driving in traffic just so I know how they react. I never allow myself to get trapped in a pack of cars when driving in bad weather either. I drive alot for my job and get into some hairy situations so I try to be alert for changing weather conditions. Be safe out there and just slow down, I always try to think how quickly I could get stopped if a deer ran out in front of the car ahead of me and they slammed on their brakes and never follow too closly.OK enough of driving 101 by mushroomman...Drive Safe, your life depends on it!!

17. I picked mine up at Home Depot a couple years ago. I've also purchased some at Lowe's. I'm sure any hardware store has some.