close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Weighing fish.

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by MSmith2004, Jun 17, 2007.

1. Question. Albeit a dumb one. I was wondering how you weigh a fish with a digital scale. The weighing part that looks like a giant hook is rather thick and I don't know exactly where to put it because it could hurt the fish.

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

it may hurt the fish ,so then you should use the length x girth formula for fish weight.

3. Hook the scale to a net, tare the scale to read 0.00 after the net has been placed on the hook, then place the fish in the net. This will give you the weight of the fish.

4. Bassboy883

Bassboy883 Frog This

You can put the hook through the hole already created by your fish hook or you can place it under the gill plate. I've never killed any fish with either method.

5. I wondered about the gill plate but wasn't sure how the fish would take it. Usually the hole isn't big enough, but when it is that is what i've been doing.

6. I prefer the method that Young Whiskers explained if you are weighing a bigger fish. They never seem to stay on the hook for me when I try to use it and if they are large they can do further damage to their mouth or tear their gill gills if they flop around. If the fish is headed to the frying pan then any of the methods will work but it seems that the net method will protect them more.

7. In one eye and out the other.....doesn't hurt the fish at all.:p

really though:
    Gill plate is fine usually...otherwise the net method described above works well.

8. Keep a plastic shopping bag with you, the kind with the handles. Works as a weight sling, and doesn't scrape the slime off the fish.

9. Mac

Mac