close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

weighing fish

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by jethro, May 23, 2004.

1. I was looking for some opinions on the best way to weigh a fish you plan on releasing. I would be using a traditional hand held scale with a big hook on the bottom. How do you guys put the fish on the scale?

2. catking

catking Banned

I weigh all the fish in a net, then subtract the net's weight, unless the net's weight puts me over a certain high mark :D THE CATKING !!!

3. flathunter

flathunter Mellons mentor

the net for me also.

4. I always use the net or a weigh sling if possible. I don't like the idea of putting the hook through the jaws of the fish I'm going to release...especially if it's a carp.

5. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Always used a net when i do weight them.

6. If they fit, a five gallon bucket works well also.

7. katfish

katfish Cats are where it's at!

Jethro

If you plan on releasing fish you should treat them as gently as possible. Hold your breath when you take them out of the water (because they are) and you will remember to get em back into the water quickly.

Weigh slings are handy if you can find one big enough (hint hint CW) This sling was "guaranteed" by carp fishermen to hold up for years to the largest fish I could catch. It's lifespan was less than 3 months :D

[​IMG]

If your scale has a calibration adjustment you can hang your net and 0 the scale before weighing the fish.

I like to borrow Jim Schillings scale cause a pack of juicy fruit gums weighs 35 pounds on his! :D

8. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Good topic, mostly I use a Rapala scale with the hook. I took a file & sharpened the hook too. I did that so the fish won't jump off, I had a fish or two drop & hit the floor, so I knew that wasn't a good idea. I figure a small clean puncture wound is better than dropping 4'. A sling or bag seems like a great idea, but space is limited on the boat & wouldn't a bag remove slime causing problems? Now, I'm just weighing river catfish, most of them are close to 15# before they ever see the scale. Many of them have huge scars, etc that they've recovered from already. I wouldn't weigh a musky like that, or a carp. What I'm saying is, I guess it depends on the species of fish, I like the 5 gal. bucket idea, Ken, do you fill it with water to add a little to your numbers ?? :confused: My scale has a "tare" weight, so that would work. Great idea for bass.
    [​IMG]

9. I was thinking of getting a big plastic bag with sturdy handles. You could fill it with water and tare the scale, then add fish. This is similar to the 5 gallon bucket but easier to store in a cramped boat or in a tackle bag. Bass pro sells a bag like this but it is $15 and that seems a liitle steep for a bag. It seems least harmful to the fish while still being easy to store. Only works on smaller fish though.

10. We Tried 3 Different Rapala Scales An Got 3 Different Weights......

11. Actually I'm not really concerned what most of my fish weigh. I used a bucket for the first time a couple of weeks ago while sorting catfish in the livewell for a tournament. I needed to find the biggest fish out of three small ones to fill my limit. It was quick and easy to place them one at a time in a bucket and eliminate the two smaller fish. It didn't matter what the bucket weighed since I used the same one. It wasn't full of water but it was wet and since the fish were out of the water for about 15 seconds they weren't in much stress.

12. Bassnpro1

Bassnpro1 OSU outdoorsman

I have a rapala scale and do the same as Mrfishohio. And I have weighed things like a gallon of water and my scale is right on the money.

13. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

The tournament weigh bag I use to transport my fish to the weigh-in after a tourny works great. I just put the scale hook on the handles, zero out the weight, and put the fish in the bag.