close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Weekend reports April 17 & 18th

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by DaleM, Apr 16, 2004.

1. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I'm going to stick this for a few days so everyone put their weekend report on here for all of us to enjoy. Include both Saturday and Sunday reports. Any type you caught anywhere you fished. This will allow everyone to see our storys without looking all over the site for reports. Good luck everyone and let us all know. Looking forward to reading the results.

2. Capt.Muskey

Capt.Muskey Ohio Fishing Militia

Good Morning All,
    Well I just got home from shore fishing Elm Lake. (Elm Lake:small lake just off Rt.14/480 in Streetsboro).A fishing buddy and I stopped there around 7:15am to cast around the shore line for bass.
    Around 8:30am a small grass pike picked up my purple texas rigged worm and took it for a short ride, back into it's brush cover. I landed her (10inches)and another(12inches) two casts later. I was fishing the North shoreline close to the road, Wind was steady comming across the lake out of the South East, Sky a bit over cast, Water temp??? cold.
    Didn't get any bass hits, But now I'm in the mood to find some Bigger pike :D
    We're thinking about fishing the Hoga river later today, If the rain holds off. I'll let you know how we do.
    Fish On

3. Phil Carver

Phil Carver Team Bass Xtreme

Went to Buckeye today from 7:00-5:00 my buddy Greenfish77 was the only one that caught a bass as far as people we talked to ect. :( Water temp was 57 this a.m. and was 62 when we left . The wind was horrible .

4. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Lake Erie, 2 walleye, YEEEEEEEEHAAAAAAAAAAAAA!! I GOT ONE DAD GET THE NET GET THE NET!

:D

5. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

misfit and the toad(the two amigos)made the first trip of the year,to the big pond on saturday,with a minimum of their usual "mishaps)
    things have slowed fro the previous week,with fish harder to come by.from the radio chatter,we could tel many others were having trouble locting fish,along with some that were doing well.
    we were among the former(at least for the first 6 hurs).
    then we(or should say fred)stumbled onto the the trick to turn things around.we'd tried every way we could think of,to fish vibes and jigs,to no avail.
    finally fred was into fish.action wasn't fast and furious,but we managed to boat 5 before quitting for the day.
    they all came on purple hair jigs,tipped with shiners,which we'd been using all day.but what finally turned things our way,was fred's unorthodox way of hooking them.the conventional way hadn't worked all day,so he rigged a shiner "bassakwards,and immediately had a fish on
    by the time i figured out what he was doing,it was getting late,but i did put one decent fish in the boat in short order,with the change-up.

lessons learned.....................
    1-don't believe the weatherman(i already know this,but it was reaffirmed when the weather turned out much better than predicted)

2-don't stick to traditional mehods when they're not working.

3-don't give your buddy the only bait that's catching fish because he didn't have the foresight to buy his own

4-also already known,but reaffirmed...............it don't get no better than spending a day on the water,catching fish,and sharing the time with a good friend

ps.................even if he does outfish you with the bait you gave him

here's fred's first erie eye of the year.

Attached Files:

6. catking

catking Banned

I thought something was fishy up at Erie saturday while I was lookin over the big lake :D DA KING !!! only got one carp , didn't know the water was "tainted" :eek: :D Yes MISFIT, the weatherman was really wrong. They were calling for strong storms :rolleyes: Glad you guys got out. CATKING !!!

7. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

GarryS and I hit O'Shaugnessy today starting about 6:30, we left about 12:30. Garry caught one bass a decent 14-15" largemouth. Only thing we put in the boat. I did catch one about 210 lbs. Left leg, just behing the knee. two treble hooks into the skin. Boy am I glad I use sharp hooks. pushed them through, cut them off, and replaced the hooks. I will say I now have real bleeding bait hooks :eek: :D At least I have that out of the way early this year. Well at least the first time! :rolleyes: We're off to Griggs next week.

8. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

OUCH!!!!!!!!!

I have a battle wound from yesterday at Oshay too. Got snagged, and was horsing my rod trying to snap it free. Boy did it ever. My 1/8th oz bullet weight came at me like it was fired out of a .22, never even saw it until it hit me in the face. Hit me so hard, it almost took me off my feet into the drink. I reached up, felt the damage to my nose (cracked me right on the bridge) and pulled down a hand covered in blood. Took a nice chunk out of it...hit me so hard, it gave me an instant headache, and my eye socket is real tender...feels like I have a black eye.

The thing's I'll do for Bass....

9. Mosquito Saturday, got two crappie, 3 walleye, and a dink bass.

West Branch Sunday, got 11 keeper crappie, missed 5 others. DUH. That's all I have to report.

With the warm temps all week, I think next week's "weekend report" will be much more lenghty. LOL

Carl

10. The weekend started out horribly for me. I spent the better part of Saturday getting my car repaired rather than fishing :( . The car was finished by 5 pm so I headed for Mogadore. I put my waders on and made it into the water just in time for a thunderstorm to roll in... it just wasn't my day. I stayed in the water and fished through the storm... I figured my day couldn't really get any worse even if I got hit by lightening. I managed 7 small bass, none over 13" by 8pm and packed it in. On Sunday, I first headed to the Cuyahoga river to do some pike fishing but found the river even more blown out than I expected from the stream flow numbers so I headed back to Mogadore. Mogadore was crowded and I only managed one little grass pike at the first spot I hit. I then tried a different location at Mogadore and finally hooked into my first decent bass of the spring. It went around 18-19". That was the only bass I could manage for the day but it made the weekend a success.

Steve

11. cheezemm2

cheezemm2 Ohio State Alumni 05'

Saturday.....Alum Marina....2 hours tryin to find a carp....nada....tried pluggin for anything along the rocks.....nada

Sunday...Olentangy south of Antrim...4 1/2 hours of groundbaiting.....nada....saw 4 turtles and I think a copperhead....that's about it...wish I had a picture of a skunk, just would've posted that :rolleyes:

12. hardwaterfan

hardwaterfan Twinsburg, OH (NE OH, northern edge of Summit Co.)

Damn sorry to hear about the injuries, that sucks!!

I hope my Dad doesnt read this but this weekend on Erie he sat on a vibee and I had to pull it off of his ass. :D Luckily it didnt really penetrate the skin and I bent the hooks back to the proper shape cause that was the hot color!!

13. Fished a 12 acre gravel pit Sunday 4/18 with a buddy. Put the boat in at 8 and fished until 2:30. I caught about 20 nice gills on small tubes within the first hour, kept 7 over 8''. Switched to a larger tube and caught 15 bass 10-13''. Switched to a 5'' Smithwick suspeding jerkbait to try for a larger fish. Was very surprised to catch fish after fish from 6-14'' on the 5'' jerkbait! Some of the bass were barely larger than the lure. :) The bite was furious and you either caught a fish or missed a bite almost every cast.

I ended up catching 51 bass and the 20 gills. My partner caught 70 bass! This is the most bass we have ever boated. Probably 100 of those bass were less than 14'', but it was a blast. The big fish of the day was a 4lber caught right next to the boat by my partner.

The funny thing is - a couple of guys came through the gate at 10:30 with a belly boat and fished the entire time we were there. They had spinnerbaits and minnows. They only caught 1 fish! :confused: We were beginning to feel bad reeling in fish after fish, many times with a double! This was the best bass day for numbers for both me and my buddy - It was awesome! :D

14. Kindlebeard

Kindlebeard OGF Birchbass Champ!!!

Hit a small pond with a supposed crappie population. Dead sticked minnow under bobber, and tossed my tackle box in the water. Only managed one crappie on a 3" floating rap, and one bass hook up (darn thing ran at me and shook the lure! I hate that).

Then I went to the Bike Trail Pond, got set up with minnows got one hook up that ran into the trees then the rain came. Luckily I got home before the hail storm that blew through my neighborhood, whew...

15. Dingo

Dingo

Went out for a few casts on a warm Saturday evening. Lake was flat with an eerie fog rising from the cold water into the nearly 80-degree air. Hit the shoreline about 15 minutes before dark with a couple of oversize floating rapalas. Within the next hour and a half, caught two walleye on two bites, 6.9lbs and 9.2lbs. Both hit the plug as it was running a few inches below the surface. Smaller one made it home for the dinner table. The other was released to continue putting a dent in the shad population. A nice quiet alternative to a season of steelhead fishing with the always growing crowds on the rivers.

16. Stampede

Stampede The Fish Feeder

Eastfork sat and sun.Bass fishing sat.no luck went to a different cove ,tried for cats no luck.Hooked something big but that's a story on a different thread.Sun. tried wax worms and caught a few crappie.Started cat fishin in the afternoon.Didn't do any good till around seven or so.Bite lasted till around 11:00.Nothon big but fun. :)