close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Weekend on the Pike Island Pool 8/8-8/10

Discussion in 'Ohio River Fishing Reports' started by Cheesehead Cory, Aug 11, 2008.

1. Cheesehead Cory

Cheesehead Cory Displaced Person

Friday night, Vkutsch and I drove down to Rayland, setup the tent, then went out catfishing. River was just over 13', very clear, and with almost no current. Four hours of fishing dead shad got us maybe a dozen bites, with only a small channel and a drum to show for it.

Back to the tent for a few hours of sleep before the bass tourny guys showed up, gave us a wake up call. We hurried back out on the boat to try some topwater before the all the bassboats were unleashed. We caught five dink smallies on pop-R's and prop baits, missed at least as many bites including one nice explosion.

Back to the tent for a late morning nap, then around noon we went back out on the water in search of white bass and shad but only caught one white bass. We took a lunch break at Pier 12, went back out and caught a nice 7 lb wiper, plus few more dink smallies and largemouth on curly tail grubs and crankbaits, and had some fun messing with the gar over by the cardinal plant, actually landed a few of them.

Around 6:00 we ran back down to Rayland, because Cheezemm2 was coming down to join us. Drank a couple beers and chatted to a couple of the bass tourny guys, got Cheezemm2 settled in, and back out on the river for a night of catfishing. It seemed like there was a little more current this time. Dead shad, cut white bass, and shrimp all took fish. I think the cut white bass was the most productive though. It seemed like every stop we made was only good for a couple bites. We did a lot of moving around. I think we got four channels and two flatheads. All were dinks except one of the channels was a good nine lbs. We headed back to Rayland at around 1:30am and got to the tent just as it started raining. Good timing because we didn't put the rainfly on previously.

Sunday morning the bass tourny gave us another wake up call, but I guess we all hit the snooze button. We got up a couple hours after they launched, tried some topwater again to no avail, and went back up to Cardinal for more fun with the gar. Back down to Rayland, waited for the tent to dry, packed up and went home.

2. Lewzer

Lewzer Powderfinger

What was the cost for launching and camping for the night. Is John and Vonda still there on their big houseboat?

3. Cheesehead Cory

Cheesehead Cory Displaced Person

They sold to Rick and Rachelle DeMent. I paid some other people who help out there that live on the sternwheeler "Gambler". The blue houseboat is still there though. $10/night to tent camp ($15 for trailer/motorhome), $4 to launch. I guess they're putting in much needed new showers next year.

http://www.raylandmarina.com/main2.htm