Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Fished with TomB on Saturday. Due to the storms early Saturday and unfavorable forecast we decided not to go out east. We've been reading skinny water reports( thanks eyeangler) so we went out of Edgewater around noon to give it a shot. Picked up one right off in 21 fow and spent the next 4 hrs trying to get em going. Nada. Decided shorten things up and try shallow. From 4-8 in 12-16 fow got our limit and ended our trip with a triple, released two. Pretty tight school and they werent boat shy. most of were caught on the inside lines. 1.8-2.3 mph, RR, 20-25', about half on pink lemonade, the other on chartreuse wonderbread and a custom painted on a 25' slider on my side got 2 out of three. Half of the fish were 16-19" and the others 20-24". Nice eaters. And only one sheep, no white bass/perch all day. Had a great time. Thanks alot Tom.
Good luck today out east or out of Edgewater if you decide to go there again.

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
3,480 Posts
Fished with TomB on Saturday. Due to the storms early Saturday and unfavorable forecast we decided not to go out east. We've been reading skinny water reports( thanks eyeangler) so we went out of Edgewater around noon to give it a shot. Picked up one right off in 21 fow and spent the next 4 hrs trying to get em going. Nada. Decided shorten things up and try shallow. From 4-8 in 12-16 fow got our limit and ended our trip with a triple, released two. Pretty tight school and they werent boat shy. most of were caught on the inside lines. 1.8-2.3 mph, RR, 20-25', about half on pink lemonade, the other on chartreuse wonderbread and a custom painted on a 25' slider on my side got 2 out of three. Half of the fish were 16-19" and the others 20-24". Nice eaters. And only one sheep, no white bass/perch all day. Had a great time. Thanks alot Tom.
Good luck today out east or out of Edgewater if you decide to go there again.
Sounds Good ! Tell TomB I bet you could have caught them casting in that Skinny water ?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Yeah, I'd like to try that. We weren't set up for that but probably could of limited out alot faster and had a blast doing it. How or what would you recommend? I've drifted out west with hair jigs and blades during the spawn and had a great time. Fished jig heads in La Due and Mosquito but never on Erie.

·
Lake Erie Charter Captain
3,480 Posts
Yeah, I'd like to try that. We weren't set up for that but probably could of limited out alot faster and had a blast doing it. How or what would you recommend? I've drifted out west with hair jigs and blades during the spawn and had a great time. Fished jig heads in La Due and Mosquito but never on Erie.
TreeMan All I do is drift & Cast ! TomB knows that ! He lives by me In GH.

I know you could have got them that way. Guys Here got them Good casting at Weather Bouy today. I am headed there Monday to do the same !

A little change for me since we have been limiting out on the smaller fish here out west. Get to try at those bigger boys & Gals ?

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
Nice work there Jeff and Tom! Must be nice catching em in close. I did some travelling Sunday, burning 52 gallons of gas in the boat. That was a little over 2 gallons per fish... :(

·
Tom B.
3,921 Posts
Treeman: Your welcome. Thanks for helping break my no limit streak.
Mike: Funny you suggest casting there. We plan to try it this weekend. Mayfly rigs the way to go?
Workdog : Saw your other post. That's nuts! I know the fish are huge out there, but I'm sticking with home water until it's a flat weekend out there.

·
Registered
43 Posts
So it sounds like the most success is early morning or towards the end of the day in Skinny water. I have tried a number of times this year in shallow but towards Bay not Lakewood. Have had limited success but all my trips have been late at night after 9:00 into the dark. Have you had good luck at night in the edgewater area as well?

·
Registered
736 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Jeff "Workdog" that's a lot a gas. It's probably all that beer your crew drinks weighing your boat down... Lol. Add a few beer bellys and wind and your in trouble. Just messin. Let me know if you have an open seat. Glad to hear your doing well out your way.

Yolo, I've been learning my way around Cleveland/ Edgewater at night. Let me know if you're a man short. I'm a diehard night bite guy.
Yeah, between the water temps, sunlight, boat traffic, jet skis, kayakers, paddle boarders, sail boats, drifters, casters....and us they probably slide into that deeper wàter or at least shut down til evening when things slow down a bit. The problem is the last time I went out there at night they didn't turn on til 3am. It makes going to work a little rough. I'll still go though, definitely.
Jeff 330-690-2762

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
Jeff "Workdog" that's a lot a gas. It's probably all that beer your crew drinks weighing your boat down... Lol. Add a few beer bellys and wind and your in trouble. Just messin. Let me know if you have an open seat. Glad to hear your doing well out your way...

Jeff 330-690-2762
For one, the beer doesn't last too long on the boat Jeff. I guess when it gets that rough we need to be breakin wind more! :D

·
Registered
801 Posts
Glad you got into 'em Treeman. I'll take a cooler full of the smaller fish anytime, for sure! Not to mention... stopping at the gas station and only having to buy 5 gallons of fuel is a great feeling!!!

1 - 18 of 18 Posts