close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Wednesday crappie at o'shay

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by Capital outdoorsman, Oct 18, 2007.

1. Capital outdoorsman

Capital outdoorsman day late, dollar short

Decided to leave work early yesterday and boy I was glad I did. Went up to oshay with a buddy for some crappie action and they were on fire. I only fished in two different spots the whole afternoon. We boated close to 50 and kept about 15 that were 10-12 inches (mix of blacks & whites). Haven't had a day like that in a long while.

Most came tightlining minnows and jigs in 9-12 fow. Bite was real soft on the way down, sometimes didn't even notice but once you hooked em they were fighting pretty hard for crappie. A few of the bigger ones came on roadrunners. Also boated 4 catfish ranging from 15-22 inches. The 22 incher was a flathead that went about 7 lbs or so. Always fun on an ultralight.

2. Nice day! Sounds a lot like my day at Griggs. Water temps were a consistent 65 degrees from N to S (unlike the 10 degree N to S differential this past weekend). After blanking out on the largemouth early on, I switched to an ultralight with a 3" white Gulp minnow grub on a 1/8oz jighead and tried for some smallies. Hooked, fought, and lost what would surely have been my personal best smallmouth (looked to be 18-20" when it jumped by the boat) when it broke my 4lb test line midway between the rod and fish -- sounded like a guitar string snapping as I had my drag clamped down too tight! Later in the same spot I thought I had him again, but instead I landed (I loosened the drag!!!) a 22+ channel cat that went 4.5lbs. Also boated a ton of rock bass and some crappie, sunfish, and small SM in the late AM.

Mid-afternoon I happened upon a school of crappie in the main lake, most going 10-11". Held the boat in place with the trolling motor and caught about a dozen or more in 45 minutes in a space about 40' x 40'. They were in 8-10 FOW. Switched back and forth between the jig and a white/pink Vibee, and they hit each about the same -- although strangely I did a worse job hooking them with the Vibee than the jig. Those were my first fish on a Vibee, so maybe I'm just doing something wrong...

So, get out there and them while they're hot. Every one I caught yesterday is still in Griggs swimming...

chip