Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Fished out of Beaver in 41fow and did 90 pech in a couple of hrs. There is a mixed bag over there but the bigger fish seemed to come later. If you want a good perch bite come out of Beaver and you will get your perch pretty quick. Hope it helps.

Moke

·
Registered
979 Posts
did you get a lot of junk? i went out to the 31/16 line and did real well yesterday without too much picking or sorting. thought maybe the white perch and sheephead would still be thick in closer

·
Registered
598 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Preacherman, I have been fishing the same place for the last 3 times out perching. We took mostly perch off that area. The junk fish were not that bad. It seemed that the bigger fish showed up after the bite was on for a half hr. of fishing.
it sounded like Avon point had a good bite today as well with a lot of big perch ( I saw them at the fish cleaning station). Glad you did well also.

Had fun perch jerking this week. Going to fish Huron for some eyes tomorrow. Give me a call when you hear me out there, im on 79.

·
2,419 Posts
We had them going pretty much up/down for the first hour so right next to Moke & then they really slowed down and we struggled to fill our second ticket.

Only thing I can think of that was different was I put on some sun-screen & some of the oil on my hands probably got into the water in the minnow bucket. Anyone have any insight on how sun-screen would effect how tasty a perch finds a minnow?

Moke, good luck on those walleye out of Huron.

·
Registered
3,271 Posts
Only thing I can think of that was different was I put on some sun-screen & some of the oil on my hands probably got into the water in the minnow bucket. Anyone have any insight on how sun-screen would effect how tasty a perch finds a minnow?
I think you know the answer here. I've noticed this exact thing happen when fishing with friends, which is why our one buddy has a rule:

NO HANDS IN THE MINNOW BUCKET

We cut our minnows most of the time, so if three guys are whacking them and you aren't, it's probably the CK-1 that you felt inclined to dab on your neck that morning.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Meerkat. We use WD 40 to cover the sun block. A walleye pro shared that with me on his boat a few years ago. We use it all the time for perch as a scent also.
It might sound strange but it works.
Sent from my SPH-L710 using Ohub Campfire mobile app

·
2,419 Posts
BFG - thanks for the validation & I will put that rule in place on my boat. I have some of Gary Zart's magic elixer that you are supposed to put on lures to give them a scent. I was also thinking of rubbing my hands in that after applying sunblock just to make sure. Maybe next time I will also take a small bucket with me and try the Zart elixer against the WD-40. Thanks for the tip Trophyninja!

·
D.clark
605 Posts
Just a thought....they do have sunscreen in areosol cans now (you wont get it on your hands unless you are wiping your face)...i perosnally use the baby kind that is no tears so it doesnt burn your eyes in case you sweat or accidentally get it in your eyes....im sure you probably know that but just thought i would throw the idea out there

·
Registered
518 Posts
Fished out of Beaver in 41fow and did 90 pech in a couple of hrs. There is a mixed bag over there but the bigger fish seemed to come later. If you want a good perch bite come out of Beaver and you will get your perch pretty quick. Hope it helps.

Moke
Hey Moke,
Thanks for the advice Tuesday on ogf and wed on the water. Dad and I fished off St. Anthony's area 10-noon with a few small yellows, lots of small white perch, then moved your way near beaver. Must have heard the numbers wrong as I went past a group of boats at 29-15.5 to anchor at 28-16.5 We picked up a couple more small yellows with lots of baby whites. Quit at 3:30. Had nice day on the water. I think Dad was happy as he was catching more than me. Just weren't keepers. I filleted them when we got home and Mom fried some up with fried potatoes and fresh tomato slices.

Chris.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts