1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
274 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·

·
Banned
362 Posts
I check NOAA wind forecast guidance versus the weather channel site and the weather channel is usually right, if there is a difference. We'll see tomorrow -- NOAA wind forecast is for ripping west winds, while weather channel says 6 mph from the south at 6 am. I'll let you know who is right.

·
gray panther
701 Posts
They all suck but for me the weather channel is the worst. Accuweaher is better, but still miss it 50%. I have weather bug on my phone and will probably drop it since the other day they said no weather alerts and the National Weather service had a storm alert with high winds and big storms were showing on radar -- what a great service (but they are available through Verizon so I should have known they would be poor!!!! :)

·
Registered
3,340 Posts
Seems to me they got it right. She's blowin' pretty good right now in Northern Summit County. I' ll bet there are 3-5's on Erie if not more.
Some of you guys sound like the people who live near a river and expect the government agent to let them know when the river is going to flood. Sometimes you need to poke your head outside. A front came through yesterday. The wind shift accompanied the front. It usually blows pretty good (from the north or northwest) for a day or two after a front comes through. Gets nice for a period of time...then repeat.
I went fishing yesterday.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Whats wrong with 3-5ft waves if they are wrong? Ever heard of drifting instead of trolling? A buddy of mine EyeAngler went out last wk & did pretty darn good when it was rough said he was drifting around 1.8-2.1gps & think his group landed 6 eyes for a short period on the water. If ya depend on Ohio weathermen/women for Lake Erie reports ya might want to just take up golf instead; atleast when ya walk out your door if its raining your not playing today.

·
Registered
4,401 Posts
only job i know of that you can be WRONG 75% of the time and STILL have a job!!!

·
Registered
91 Posts
Yep Stevo, you nailed that one, that's why I fish and play golf, though us diehard golfers play in everything but monsoons(?) and lightning.
At least on the course if a good wind blows in, it'll only blow me to the next fairway, not the next county.
All of those lake forecast' are just a crapshoot IMO, best day I had all year was trolling solo in 3-5's, which I could have probably done just as well drifting. Funny thing was the lake forecast was 2' or less building to 1-3's in the afternoon. left the ramp @7:00 am in 2-3's and within 2 hours I was bouncing on 3-5's.
Be safe.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,379 Posts
@2355hrs Geneva NDBC GELO1 wind speed 15knts wind gusts 17.1 kts

@2355 Conneaut NDBC CBL01 wind speed 12 knts wind gust 15.9

@2355 Mentor NDBC FAIO1 wind speed 15 knts wind gust 18.1

·
Registered
1,167 Posts
Every time I chose to believe them they're wrong! Every time I chose not to believe them, they’re right or worst. From what I’ve noticed this last few months, whatever they call for Monday happens on Tuesday. Whatever they call for 9:00pm happens at 3:00pm. So you figure it out!

·
Administrator
9,500 Posts
Yep Stevo, you nailed that one, that's why I fish and play golf, though us diehard golfers play in everything but monsoons(?) and lightning.
At least on the course if a good wind blows in, it'll only blow me to the next fairway, not the next county.
All of those lake forecast' are just a crapshoot IMO, best day I had all year was trolling solo in 3-5's, which I could have probably done just as well drifting. Funny thing was the lake forecast was 2' or less building to 1-3's in the afternoon. left the ramp @7:00 am in 2-3's and within 2 hours I was bouncing on 3-5's.
Be safe.
Where do we pin the medal?

There's nothing heroic fishing in those conditions. It's nothing to do with safety, although somebody may read your post and take a boat not fit for those conditions out into it. Some here may just want to enjoy their day on the water. There comes a point when the constant pounding and rolling just gets old. It takes it's toll not just on the body, but also the equipment.

Talking with Rebel yesterday we recalled that there has only been one "ideal" day weather wise that we have fished all this year. We went out when the weather report said opposite of what we encountered and we stayed home when the forecast dictated that we should... and the day turned nice. Just the way things go.

BTW, the weather report was right yesterday afternoon and as I look outside, it's right now.

·
gray panther
701 Posts
Seems to me they got it right. She's blowin' pretty good right now in Northern Summit County. I' ll bet there are 3-5's on Erie if not more.
Some of you guys sound like the people who live near a river and expect the government agent to let them know when the river is going to flood. Sometimes you need to poke your head outside. A front came through yesterday. The wind shift accompanied the front. It usually blows pretty good (from the north or northwest) for a day or two after a front comes through. Gets nice for a period of time...then repeat.
I went fishing yesterday.
Come on, I fish a ton of days and they are very lucky if they're right 50% of the time, except I agree, they get it right -- when it's happening LOL

·
Registered
1,582 Posts
Most people double the buoy readings, because I think they only record the height above the mean water level (meaning that they don't measure trough to crest).

Edit: And here's one of the latest forecasts:

This Afternoon: WSW wind around 11 kt. Showers and thunderstorms likely. Seas around 1 ft.

Tonight: W wind 9 to 12 kt increasing to 13 to 16 kt after midnight. A chance of showers and thunderstorms. Seas 2 ft building to 4 ft.

Saturday: W wind around 16 kt. Showers likely and possibly a thunderstorm before noon, then scattered showers and thunderstorms after noon. Seas around 3 ft.

Saturday Night: WSW wind 13 to 16 kt. A chance of showers. Seas around 3 ft.

Sunday: WSW wind 9 to 12 kt. A slight chance of showers. Seas 1 to 2 ft.

Sunday Night: SSW wind 6 to 10 kt becoming SSE after midnight. Partly cloudy. Seas 1 ft or less.

·
gray panther
701 Posts
Whats wrong with 3-5ft waves if they are wrong? Ever heard of drifting instead of trolling? A buddy of mine EyeAngler went out last wk & did pretty darn good when it was rough said he was drifting around 1.8-2.1gps & think his group landed 6 eyes for a short period on the water. If ya depend on Ohio weathermen/women for Lake Erie reports ya might want to just take up golf instead; atleast when ya walk out your door if its raining your not playing today.
Everyone was talking about weather accuracy Some people plan their trip on the weather and don't have the boat to fish 3-5s or don't wish to get pounded all day. Being able to fish 3-5s is no big deal.

1 - 15 of 15 Posts