close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Weather Predictions

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by Shortdrift, May 1, 2004.

1. It is hard to believe that the marine water and weather conditions can be as totally wrong as they are. The lake conditions were at least 8 to 12 hours ahead of what was predicted. We were fishing in a strong WNW wind and the weather station was still reporting SSW! What a joke! :rolleyes: I'm going to have my dog Daisy apply for a position of prediction based on how her Arthritis is acting up.

2. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

My back all ready tell me that. With twice being broken and my neck thrown in I can predict the weather better than they can, at least when a front is moving in! I vote for Daisy.

3. Lewis

Lewis ORIGINAL TEAM OGF

This year they seem worse than ever.
    They were calling for widely scattered thunderstorms for my area yesterday.
    Had a nonstop all day rain and not a boom of thunder.
    I have put off several fishing trips this year due to predicted bad weather,only to have it do the exact opposite.

4. Fish4Fun

Fish4Fun Relaxing.

same with today called for thunderstorms and we fished alum all day in the alum creek open with only a couple drops of rain then sun all day. Saw on the news that the goverment in russia is thinking of fining the weather men who predict severe weather wrong due to the cost of the goverment for warinings and staffing extra people for snow removal and such.

5. I POSTOPONED A TURKEY HUNT WITH MY SON THIS MORNING GOING OFF OF THE WEATHER FORECAST....YOUR RIGHT WHAT A JOKE...I ALSO RESCHEDULED AN ALL DAY FISHING VENTURE IN THE NEW BOAT TODAY BECAUSE OF THOSE WEATHER MEN....IM STEAMED AS WELL GUYS....EYE :mad:

6. First, let me say that I love this new site. Really, it's nice to see things getting back to basics and the things that matter, like, our overpaid weather people. :) After being spoiled by a younger Dick Goddard while growing up, I spent 8 yrs in Dallas, TX and learned that weather people, especially in TX, are really a waste of a perfectly good salary. They were never right. That trend has unfortunately followed me back up here since 1998. :rolleyes: I wasted half the day yesterday waiting to see what would happen with the weather. Finally went to Atwood around 4:30 PM already in my Frogg Toggs waiting for the thunder to start. Never did even when I got off the water around 8:00 PM. Rain, drizzle, etc the whole time but no thunder. As a matter of fact, I was trolling for saugeyes and got skunked even without the lightning. :) I couldn't keep the crappie off my #5 Shad Raps. Caught probably 20-30, most of which were small but kept 6 keepers. I got off the water when the wind started to kick up and it appeared the heavy stuff was right around the corner.
    Today, I don't get up because I figure it is going to thunderstorm as forecast. Got up around 9, sunshine. Went outside to start on the "Outdoor 'Honey Do' List" and got half way through the front yard before I needed a refreshment break. Was getting hot out there, thirsty, sunshine, and I wanna go fishing. Well, I fight the urge to hitch the boat up and get ready to go back outside and "finish up" to the sounds of pouring down rain and thunder :mad: Now, as I type this at 1:00 AM, do I get out of bed in 4-5 hrs and hit the lake or do I stay in bed and not waste my time? Wish I had a weatherman or weather homepage I could trust. :)

7. jeffmo

jeffmo officially unofficial!!!!

the weather lately really does stink!seems for the last couple of weeks every time i have a day off it's either raining or there's some work around the house i have to do.the real kick is that i haven't even had the time to put my boat in the water to go fishing,but that gonna change if momma nature finally decieds to cooperate!!!

8. Lundy

Lundy Staff Member

Ron,

They got it half right. they were predicting the switch to NE by late afternoon and we sure got that about 4:30.

We had a brisk SW wind we we launched at 7, and the strong W when you got there, and it just kept turning clockwise all day.

They were off on the timing of the N switch. The good news is they were calling for 2-4's with the N switch, it actually got calmer once it went N, NE.

I wouldn't want their job.

9. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

i like to visit the site that has actual wave heights at the buoys. i don't think they have been deployed yet this spring.so it,s hard to be accurate. channel 8 is right on lake erie ,you would think they would show a picture of the lake action in the morning.

10. I'll look at Lakevision and see a smooth lake at Cleveland and Huron. I then go to Marine Weather Nearshore and read that there is a North wind of 12/12 knots and waves of 1 to 3 feet. Guess this is more of our tax dollar at work. :rolleyes:

11. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

I tend to look at the radar rather then what the forecasters are calling for. It generally works for predicting "weather" or not its going to rain.