close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Weather(Or particularly, RAIN) Rant!

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by c. j. stone, Sep 7, 2016.

1. For the past three weeks since some rain has begun to fall, where I live(N-Stark, S-Portage county) area, we've had a little over ONE inch(total) of rain. That's all since maybe mid-June. It seems we're in a "black hole" that the drenching storms go just north, or just south of us! Western Basin towns, Cleveland, and Canton get INCHES/flooding-we get a light sprinkle!. We get clouds/thunder only, and as little as three miles North, they get 2-3 inches! My lawn is more brown than green, pond is THREE FEET LOW AND WEED filled, garden a total bust also weed choked(apparently weeds don't need water!), fruit trees have practically nada, flower beds dead(or dying!) Damned weatherman/girl "promises" an(equal opportunity) soaking rain, Nothing happens-everywhere else gets it! Wuts Up?!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
    JamesF likes this.
  2. Trust me canton is not getting inches of rain everytime it rains. This summer since may we have had possibly 3 inches i would guess. The problem is when we get it its too much at a time. We need it to rain steady for about a week straight then nice cool temps with a good rain once or twice a week. It would make my yard alot happier.

3. That's two more inches than we've had in Suffield/Mogadore areas. All the lakes near us are severely low(Walborn does not look navigable!.) It's cloudy to the north of us right now, TMOTL is getting MORE rain right now from several little "pop-up" storms, I'm getting ready to push-mow(with no fear of getting wet!) a patch in my front yard that l've been sparingly watering(have a well and afraid to use too much water)! I have four acres of grass but haven't mowed it in a month, then only weeds(sure saving on gasoline though!):( I'm sure we will get it, just too late!

Last edited: Sep 7, 2016
  4. I work at the corner of green akron uniontown been raining steady for 45 min now

5. snag

snag

We have plenty of rain lately garden doing good still cutting grass weekly, just had a nice half hr downpour this morning.

6. When I moved back to Ohio in 2004 we ended up in Massillon. A year or so after I moved here I heard of something called the Stark County split, which means that for some unknown reason storms seem to split as they hit Stark county. Over the years I have noticed there does seem to be something to this especially when coming from the south and west or maybe because I heard the story I just notice when it happens. It does seem to happen frequently.

7. Same thing happens with the city of columbus...all rain and storms seem to split and go above or below the city...either that or it completely breaks up as it comes into the city and amounts to nothing...

acklac7 likes this.
  8. Nothing to report from s/western Knox Co.

9. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Wellington isn't much better.

10. We've been dry in Tallmadge, but have been lucky with a few pop up storms hitting us for short downpours. Had one 2 weeks ago where the cloud formation looked like a tornado was sure to form, but it didn't! My garden has been great this year compared to last year. Mostly the tomatoes and peppers. Of course, I water the garden enough to keep them growing fast. The ground outside the garden is hard and dry.

11. buckeyebowman

buckeyebowman On the back 9 and loving it!

It's not just you c.j.! We had a couple pretty good showers this afternoon and evening, in fact it's sprinkling again right now. But much heavier rains passed by both North and South of us. And it's seemed to be that way most of the year.

If I hadn't been watering my veggies religiously they would all be dead by now! The lawns I don't care that much about since I can't eat it! Also I do my neighbor's since she's on disability and can't do her own. After cutting grass every 3-4 days in the Spring, this is a double blessing!

Rainfall has been weird this year. Very spotty. One time my buds and I were golfing at a course about 6-7 miles South of my house as the crow flies. On the back nine some heavy showers moved in, and the rain just pounded down! We rode it out and were able to finish the round. When I got home, not a drop of rain had fallen, and I was back to watering my veggies once more!

12. Whaler

Whaler Whaler

C .J. it's just like the MPA told me back when I was in the Navy when I commented to him how it seems like every time we went to sea anymore it was rougher than heck. He said " I guess we just don't live right . "

13. You might be onto something Jim! Been a while since I tempted fate-and entered a church?!

14. I wrote this last year, forgot abt it and was about to write another exactly identical to this one when I decided to "Search" and there it was!
    Well,we're experiencing the same thing this year and it seemed to start earlier this year- late July, August, and now September! We haven't had but very light sprinkles for this time-frame and practically nothing for the entire month of Sept! Same O, same O. North of me towards Cleveland is getting rain frequently, South of us more than us! My garden is crap(has been for four weeks), leaves comletely off soy bean fields already, fruit trees began dropping all(smallish) apples(normally holds them til after first frost), acorns falling like hail stones, trees coloring with leaf drops earlier than I can remember. Record temps for Sept, highest temps of the year!, and ever for the entire NE Ohio area for September! Lake Erie temps rose FIVE DEGREES this past week alone(with the latest bug hatches on record)! ! I'm becoming a real believer in freakin Global Warming! Something is going on for sure! WTH! Looking like another "no ice fishing", mild winter!:(

Last edited: Sep 26, 2017
  15. JamesF

JamesF

Seems to me , that the weather is cyclical, some years are normal and others from one extreme to another. I believe that it has an effect on the fishing also.So far for me it's been tough, small Perch and scattered gills. We need a good hard winter!

16. I think we [people ]cause some of this ,the more so called test bombs nations set off things get screwed up, bomb test in north K and mex has a earth quake. storms out in the sea and we have a heat wave.

JamesF likes this.
  17. buckeyebowman

There have been heat waves in the Fall and cold waves in the Summer before this. I can remember a Summer when I was a kid 10-11-12 years old, when it was so cold we had to wear jackets riding our bikes around the 4th of July! Another year, a few years later, I was working in the CYO tent for my parish at the 4th of July festival. It was upper 90's, and over 100 for several days, during that festival.

I love when the local meteorologists quote "normal" temperatures. There is no such thing! What they are quoting are averages temps, and what are averages? The evening out of extremes!

BlueMax and Shortdrift like this.
  18. buckeyebowman

All I can say for this evening is thank God for some cooler, drier air! Still didn't fetch a drop of rain out of this cold front.

kayak1979 and JamesF like this.
  19. JamesF

JamesF

I can understand that! My Aunt and Uncle, along with their three children, lived in Las Vegas.I remember them talking about the test bombs, and the weather changes after ward's. My Aunt talked about the effects it had during the El-Nino years (if I am correct on that) the storm's would be severe at times over the desert. New Mexico also had some strange weather. Damn! North Korea, may have ruined our fishing:eek:. Dumb Asseso_O!

20. buckeyebowman

I'm beginning to believe that there's a Mahoning Co. split as well. They were calling for early evening showers and/or T-storms today. I was heading to the liquor agency for a bottle of bourbon, and when I stepped out the back door it was starting to spit a few rain drops so I decided to wait. It spit a few drops for about 5 minutes and the sun came back out!

When I got back from the store I looked to the South and the North. In both directions I saw dark storm clouds with very high cloud tops. At my house? Pure golden sunshine!

Looks like I'll be watering the tomatoes again tomorrow morning. Yes, I'm still getting tomatoes! Everything else has been harvested.