close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WE WON WE WON No big boats on Hoover

Discussion in 'Central Ohio Fishing Reports' started by DANDI, Aug 4, 2004.

1. At least for now.
    I just received this from Jim Horan

To the Editor
    Columbus Dispatch
    34 S. Third Street
    Columbus, OH 43215

To the Editor:
    A recent Dispatch article ("City, state hit rough water over boat rules" - July 30, 2004) has raised unnecessary concern about the Ohio Division of Watercraft's relationship with the City of Columbus and our intentions regarding boating opportunities at Griggs, O'Shaughnessy and Hoover reservoirs.
    I would like to put those concerns to rest:

- The Division of Watercraft is not seeking to alter horsepower limits at Griggs, O'Shaughnessy or Hoover reservoirs. Under current state law, the city has authority to limit the horsepower of boats, and to set speed zones and no-wake zones on those reservoirs. Our statewide boating plan, mentioned in the article, refers specifically to the desirability of maintaining the quiet nature of Hoover Reservoir and similar lakes. We believe the city's determination of horsepower limits is reasonable and we are not seeking to change that.
    - We do not advocate immediate introduction of personal watercraft at Griggs or O'Shaughnessy and we accept that the city's existing horsepower limits already exclude such watercraft at Hoover. However, we continue to encourage the City to study this issue and provide opportunities for public discussion over the next five years.
    - The city's eligibility for grant funding remains an open subject of discussion between state and city officials. Current state law is very clear in requiring that local boating ordinances must be in compliance with state statutes and regulations. Over the past two years the City of Columbus and the Division of Watercraft have successfully cooperated to ensure the city's rules would be consistent with requirements established by the U.S. Coast Guard and State of Ohio. Agreement in most areas has been achieved and further discussions are ongoing.
    I am optimistic that the city and state can find common ground on the few remaining issues that separate us, based on our shared commitment to safe, enjoyable and environmentally responsible boating on Ohio's waterways.
    Kenneth J. Alvey, Chief
    Division of Watercraft,
    Ohio Department of Natural Resources

2. Nice job guys. Congrats.

3. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

It's a temporary win. We still need to keep at it ladies and gentlemen.

4. Dandi, yes, but I hope you read the last part of our email, which said:

We applaud Mr. Alvey's press release. However . . . this really does not address the over riding issue of State vs. Local control. Please notice the choice of words "under current law" in paragraph 1. In addition in paragraph 2 the word "immediate" brings us closer to what may be an agenda for the future. We've been on the phone most of the morning getting thoughts from various folks at the City and our favorite "anonymous Lobbyist", who we owe a great deal. The State has renewed talks with the City for August 24, after a years absence of dialogue. From what we've learned there might be a few at DOW who believe that the State should have legislation that would make the City irrelevant. So while we feel good about today, there may well be work in the future for all of us. It seems this legislation we've referred to is not in the hands of legislators yet, therefore there is no reason at this time to contact them. It is still IMPORTANT that if you have not sent emails to all those addresses we provided, that you complete doing so and if you have networks still to contact, please complete them. We NEED to make it clear to DOW and ODNR that this coalition is to be dealt with if things change in the future. Larger numbers of emails might just dissuade any who think they only have to deal with a few small boaters. We will be watching and listening to the progress of the talks on August 24 and thereafter. We will not go away! If we learn that the State indeed does have plans to take over the regulations of the reservoirs, we have "watchdogs" who will notify us and we will begin Phase II and Phase lll of our plan and if need be Phase IV and V.

BTW-many of us found that Gov. Taft does not seem to have an individual email address for the public. However, you can go to http://governor.ohio.gov/contactinfopage.asp and do a copy/paste of your letter and fill in the your personal information. We've learned that correspondence that was sent to the Gov. was passed along to ODNR Chief Speck. Nice! If you weren't able to contact the Gov., now's a good time to do it.

We'd like all of YOU to know YOU did it and our thanks go out to YOU. Thanks also for all the encouraging and informative emails many of you have sent us. In fact there has been so many we had to plead with the host of our mail server to let us exceed the 1500/ day limit they imposed, so we could send this email out. We promised we wouldn't do it every day. The cross section of folks that we know about, and we emphasize "that we know about", because many of you did work behind the scenes and formed networks of folks here in Central Ohio and way beyond, was most impressive. We wish we knew how many emails were generated and those yet to be sent to the folks at ODNR. Gotta be a bunch and a half! Please make note of your contacts and put them in a safe place. They could be called upon again if things turn sour. Enjoy today, but we'll be vigilant for the tomorrow's facing us.

In closing, THANK YOU to those who did the deed. YOU'RE the GREATEST. Enjoy YOUR reservoirs.

Regards - Jim
    http://fishandtales.net

5. Well, keep an eye on things and if you need help again, you know where to come for it.

6. Thank you Carl. Folks beyond central Ohio need to know this is a STATE WIDE issue. It's not just about HP issues on 3 reservoirs around Columbus. Far more extensive.

Longbarbels

7. :) Nice going guys. I have a feeling Mr Alvey's inbox got a little full. ;)

8. ShakeDown

ShakeDown OGF Staff Staff Member Admin

Totally! NICE WORK FOLKS! Even though this sounds like a temporary "win", it looks as if our collective voices have been heard. GREAT job!

9. Jim,
    Great job mobilizing the forces. Big Daddy's heart was in the right place, but when "we" need help again, please let us know what we can do.

Rick - thank you too!

Thanks!!!
    Joel

10. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

I recieved a phone call this afternoon from Representive Jim Hugh, one of our State Senitors. He thanked me for my e-mail to him and said he would fight to ever keep this from taking place. He also ask about our web site and said he would call me later to discuss it. Very nice talk I had with him, for almost 20 minutes. Remember this guy folks if you live in his area , come voting time. He's one we have on our side!

11. catking

catking Banned

Please keep us informed of any future news on this subject. Thanks !!! C.K.

12. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

YEEHAW!!!!!!
    though the war isn't over,i feel good about winning this battle :)
    it brought a lot of folks coming together,and great people like jim horan on the front lines,to do it,but we have their attention now.thanks to everyone for your support.

and on behalf of everyone,i'd like to say THANK YOU JIM HORAN,for all your time and hard work coordinating the movement.....................................YOU DA MAN :cool:

ps..................who said we would find ourselves in the minority?guess it doesn't really matter,cause this proves that if a little guy yells loud eneough,someone's gonna listen ;)

13. LakeRaider

LakeRaider EEEEEK!

Even though I like really fast boats I still like to hit the lakes with the hp restrictions for peace and quiet. Keep hammerin' away at em' ! Great job! :)
    Raider<><>

14. Rick, it proves if enough of the little guys get their act together, someone's gonna listen. Thank you Rick,for all your help in directing traffic to us. Believe it or not but the emails are still coming and the coalition is still hitting the email trail.

Guess we might owe you a night's Catting <jeez, did I say that?> where we'll stretch some line and think about serious things again, . . . like fishing.

Longbarbels

15. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

you're welcome,but i cosidered it my duty.

yes,you did say that :D
    and i'm holding you to it.it's been too long.you know i can always fit a little quiet time on hoover,into my schedule for you :cool:

16. FishJunky

FishJunky AEP Tuber Association

Awsome work guys.

17. It was good to see this as being left in the hands of the city, but......the last part still seems to indicate the Grant is not guaranteed and further discussion will be required. This is the same old state crap of making a friendly gesture then using the acceptance as a leverage tool in the future. I hope I am wrong and the Grant continues without city consessions.

18. DaleM

DaleM Original OGF Staff Member

The amount in question last year was just over $11,000. Not a whole lot. Granted it could be way more but knowing the State and our "Governor" who really has screwed the ODNR and outdoorsman, that most likely won't happen.

19. Zfish

Zfish More Horsepower Raider!!

Although as mentioned it is a temporary win I'm very greatful that Hoover is remaining a 10hp lake. It has become my favorite lake in the state to fish thus far and hopefully I can get back up that way and fish it soon ;) Jim/Rick I want to thank you both for giving me the links I did email all of the links mentioned. Thanks again :)

20. Great news! Thanks to all who got the word out and helped orginize our response, great job!