close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WB yesterday

Discussion in 'Muskie & Pike Discussions' started by buzzgn, Jul 24, 2008.

1. I fished with bubba k yesterday and would also like to thank the board members for their help. Both muskies very fat and last week we caught a very healthy looking wiper that probably went 10 lbs. I have some questions about the lake. I see that the state tried wipers and saugeyes back in the 90's and i remember the striper expereiment back in the 70's. All programs discontinued due to "lack of forage base." The lake is intriguing, the best structure I have seen but you don't mark much, not a lot of surface activity.....you just don't "feel" a lot of fish. I know there are some northern in the lake, is this a natural population? Are the muskie and pike so dominant that no other predator specie can do well? Given the structure and size of that lake, it should be loaded with forage. Any thoughts? And thanks again.

2. esox62

esox62 BORN TOO LATE

the saugeyes and pike do reproduce in their. i could never figure out why there are no tigers in there...the lake used to have a ton of forage in it. maybe the zebra mussels had a lot to do with that..

3. WB still has ALOT of bait in it. The bright orange line at the surface now are the young shad. They cover 75% of the lakes surface. Youll see the bait balls run down to 10fow. They are only an inch long. Below that are the older shad and shinners. When they are all up at the surface its hard to fathem the amount of bait in the lake. The pics were taken at night and the bait you see in the water are shinners hittin the shad Im holding.

4. esox62

esox62 BORN TOO LATE

i was at milton the other day and there were nothing but small schools of shad everywhere on top...i dont see that as much at the branch anymore.