Ohio Game Fishing banner

1 - 12 of 12 Posts

·
Registered
350 Posts
Bassin',

The water level is about 6 feet below our normal summer pool. The East and West ramps are okay for another 8 feet or so. Shallow areas and obstacles are marked with buoys but to be safe, use caution and a depth finder.

RangerJulie

·
Registered
206 Posts
Just be careful... the levels are WAY down. I am hoping we can get some rain to get the lake back up. I am concerned that they will shut down the ramps!

·
Whaler
3,155 Posts
A few years ago my buddy and I were fishing at West Branch about this time of year and the lake was at or near normal Winter Pool. We saw a ranger come out from the marina with his blue light flashing and head west down up the lake. We decided to see what was going on and followed him. When we got to his location he and another boat were going around in tight circles looking into the water. We asked him what they were looking for and he said another boat had hit something and damaged his lower unit.
I told him that a point extended all the way out to where he was looking and it had big stumps along its length. I told him the guy had probably hit one of the stumps. This particular point extends out about 100 yards give or take a few yards.
The ranger dropped a marker buoy in the water near the end of the point so others wouldn't hit it. My buddy and I went to the west ramp to get a look at the damage done to the boat that hit the stump. It was an IO and the only thing holding the lower unit onto the boat was a cable. I figured that was going to be a costly repair with damage to the lower unit and fiberglass.
West Branch is not the lake to be running fast on during Winter Pool if you don't know the lake.

·
SOLID MEAT
5,325 Posts
A few years ago my buddy and I were fishing at West Branch about this time of year and the lake was at or near normal Winter Pool. We saw a ranger come out from the marina with his blue light flashing and head west down up the lake. We decided to see what was going on and followed him. When we got to his location he and another boat were going around in tight circles looking into the water. We asked him what they were looking for and he said another boat had hit something and damaged his lower unit.
I told him that a point extended all the way out to where he was looking and it had big stumps along its length. I told him the guy had probably hit one of the stumps. This particular point extends out about 100 yards give or take a few yards.
The ranger dropped a marker buoy in the water near the end of the point so others wouldn't hit it. My buddy and I went to the west ramp to get a look at the damage done to the boat that hit the stump. It was an IO and the only thing holding the lower unit onto the boat was a cable. I figured that was going to be a costly repair with damage to the lower unit and fiberglass.
West Branch is not the lake to be running fast on during Winter Pool if you don't know the lake.
same for berlin

·
Powderfinger
7,473 Posts
I’ve seen many people flying over the infamous “ski jump” on West Branch. I’m cringing waiting for the the BAM and bodies flying over the bow but it hasn’t happened yet.
Saw a young kid bottom out on the south point of goose island this year. And that was at full summer pool! They had to get out and push. Hopefully he didn’t damage his lower unit.

·
Registered
2,579 Posts
I know West Branch really well, but I don't know some of the names given to places on the lake. Is the "ski jump" the long point that extends off the southern shore just about across from Goose Island? Or is it the long point that extends off the north shore just east of the Jay Lake entrance? lol

Orrrrrr .... is it none of the above? lol

·
Powderfinger
7,473 Posts
None of the above. The ski jump is off the northwest point of Hickory Island and extends all the way to the north shore to just west of the bay that is behind the island. Here’s a screen shot. It goes from the main island to those smaller one to the point where the cursor is.

it goes from about 15-18’ to 3’ very very quick. It is exposed during drawdown. I see people flying out of that bay to the west of the island during low water waiting for the hit.

1 - 12 of 12 Posts