close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WB muskie

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by bakerjd, Jul 9, 2007.

1. bakerjd

bakerjd Some ol' dude

I'm looking to get into muskie fishing and I hear a lot about WB being a great muskie lake. I was wondering if anyone could help me out in landing my first with any info or advice you could give.

2. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

Just starting my muskie fishing also but the most important advice I can give is be prepared. Make sure your tackle is heavy enough to prevent breakoffs which may leave a lure in a fish's mouth and prevent it from eating again. Have a big enough net and tools to get the hooks out. Also, proper handling of the fish is critical. I would not let it flop around in the boat if at all possible. This will remove a lot of slime from the fish which is not good, and believe me I have seen how much slime the carpet can take off. I try to leave the ones that I catch in the net as much as possible.

With that being said, weed beds are good spots at West Branch and the fish will suspend also. Like I said, I am also a beginner. I am just repeating advice of others from this site, like luredaddy, vc1111, and a few more, that have helped me along the way.

Good luck.

3. Got a boat Bakerjd? I've been trying to get into the muskie world too, and it looks like the best way to fish WB is to troll with a boat. Unfortuantely I'm shore bound this year. Let me know, maybe we can crack the code together.

4. Dock Time

Dock Time Senior Member

Try trolling super shad raps off of the drop-off and over deep weed beds. Firetiger is my color of choice, followed by silver and then bleeding lip red/white. Troll at 3.5 mph and run s-turns....keep your drag set light! Get a book called precision trolling and read it.

5. I'm also just starting so others are much more qualified to give advice. BD300 is right, be prepared. I didn't have all my gear ready the first time and got a bloody hand to show for it. If you are going to troll get some shad imitating baits like Monster Shads, Super Shadraps, etc. I've been having some luck trolling the shoreline breaks and points.

6. crittergitter

crittergitter Multi Species Angler

Guys, muskie fishing is a serious addiction and borderline illness. It's a freakin blast to catch a big ole toothy critter. However, these fish are not like bass, catfish or walleye. In summertime with high water temps they can very easily be stressed to the point of death from being caught. My best advice is to learn as much as you can.

Good places for information on handling, tactics, presentations, lures and such is Musky Hunter Magazine. They have a website with a message board and it has tons of helpful members.

I fish with my uncle and we always have the long nose pliers and hook cutters on the ready. Whenever a fish is caught it is kept in the net in the water the whole time while the hooks are removed with the pliers or cut out if necessary. We only lift it out briefly for a picture and that is only if the fish looks good. So, it is only out of the water for approx 15-20 seconds.

CG

7. THE BEST ADVISE I CAN GIVE YOU NEW GUYS IS TO JOIN A MUSKIE CLUB. WE HAVE MANY IN NE OHIO. I'M IN OHIO HUSKIE MUSKIE WHICH IS ONLY $9 A YEAR, PLUS IF YOU TURN IN SCALE SAMPLES FOR YOUR FIRST FISH, YOU GET THE FIRST YEAR FREE, DEPENDING ON THE SIZE OF YOUR FIRST SCALE SAMPLE RETURN. I ALSO AM IN MUSKIES INC, CLEVELAND CHAPTER 23. THERE IS A AKRON CHAPTER 19 ALSO, AND A THREE RIVERS CHAPTER 16, CENTREL OHIO CHAPTER 41, PENN- OHIO CHAPTER 31....50 MORE CHAPTERS TOO, THESE ARE OUR CLOSEST... OK ENOUGH ABOUT THAT, MOST PEOPLE THINK THE FIRST STEP TO MUSKIE FISHING IS CATCHING ONE, IT'S NOT. BEING PREPARED WHEN YOU DO CATCH ONE IS. NEVER UNHOOK A MUSKIE IN THE BOAT, ALWAYS IN THE WATER IN A NET, A BIG ONE THAT IS FOR MUSKIES. YOU WILL NEED HOOK CUTTERS, LOWES HAS CHEAP ONES FOR $8, MUSKIE HUNTER HAS GOOD ONES FOR $50. GLOVES TO PROTECT YOUR HANDS ARE AVAILABLE AT GANDER MOUNTAIN, THEIR ORANGE AND BLACK, ABOUT $15 each hand. TROLLING... LIGHT ACTION POLES GOT TO GO, YOU NEED MEDIUM HEAVY TO HEAVY ACTION POLES. USE LINE ABOVE 50LB LIKE POWER PRO, USE A LEADER WITH BALL BEARING SWIVLE AND A HEAVY SNAP. YOU'LL NEED A CAMERA FOR THEM PICS, NEVER HOLD A MUSKIE VERTICLE OR BY THE GILLS... SUPPORT THE WEIGHT OF THE FISH, GENTLY HOLD THE BODY. DON'T GET THE SLIME ON YOU OR YOUR BOAT IT WILL KILL THE FISH WEATHER IT SWIMS AWAY OR NOT.

8. If You Don't Think You Can Safely Hold The Fish Up Forgetaboutit. A Stupid Picture Is Not Worth The Fishes Life. If You Get A Big One And Want It Mounted You Have The Option Of Letting It Go And Just Take Measure Ments Of Its Girth And Lenth Then A Picture, Duplicate Mounts Last Longer And Look Good. I Made That Mistake And Kept My First Nice Fish, Cause I Did Not Know About Duplicate Mounts. Take Scale Samples On Every Muskie You Catch This Year, You Can Get Scale Sample Envelopes At The Boat Ramp Or By Calling The State, If You Still Can't Get Them Let Me Know. If Your Serios About Muskies Join A Club Or You'll Never Know. Scale Samples Determains What Lakes Get Stocked Every Year And How Many Fish Get Stocked. Good Luck.

9. Esox 23, or anyone else, what do you think about boga grips instead of a net. My eye net isn't near big enough so I thought the grips would take up less room. I've used them twice now. The last one did bleed some from the mouth.

10. I was wondering about those also, even though I do already carry the glove esox mentioned. I have read about the scale samples and how to do them. I have some lures (inherited from my grandfather who was an avid muskie/pike fishman and taxidermist) it's more the heavy action rods. It also seems most use baitcasting reels, which I don't have a ton of experience with. I'll definately bee joining up, it's nice to see that we have groups together in the area. Hopefully bobby and I will be out on the water soon learning as we go.

11. You Want Heavy Reals And Rods With Line Counters For One Simple Reason, You Need To Get The Fish In Quickly Or It Will Most Likely Die. Especially In This Hot Water We Have Now. Line Counters Are To Get Your Lure In The Fishes Mouth. Go Buy A Muskie Hunter Magazine Or An Esox Angler Mag And You'll See How Big These Fish Can Get If Handled And Released Properly... Cpr All The Way...

12. I Don't Like The Boga Grip But Others Do Never Used One Myself, I'd Say No, Getva Big Net, There About $50 And Up. Not Bait Casting Reals For Trolling, For Casting Yes A Low Geared One. For Trolling You Need A Line Counter Like They Use On Lake Erie For The Walleye Will Work, I Picked Mine Up For $40, Okuma Dx 30's Are Cheap.

13. You Will Loose Fish Without The Propper Net, It Will Happen.

14. Also, Muskies Fins Are Not Red, Thet Turn Red When The Fish Is Overly Stressed. If They Are Red When You Land Her Let Her Go Quickly, And Seriously Cut The Hooks They Are Cheap, Don't Ever Rip Them Out The Mouth Or Gills. When In Doubt Cut Them Out...

15. I bought Okuma Convector reels and paired them with Shimano 7' MH TDR rods. They have performed flawlessly so far.

16. I Like Uglysticks, They Take A Beating And Got A Warrenty..

17. Is there a particular brand or type of net that you guys use or recommend?

18. esox62

esox62 BORN TOO LATE

scale samples will be eliminated after this year. so they are NOT MANDATORY.. at all...thank god!!!!! scale samples only injure fish in my opinion. they were never necessary in the first fffffinnnn place.............!!!!!!!luckymusky...

19. Yeah, I didn't take scales and won't in the future either.

20. bakerjd

bakerjd Some ol' dude

this is great. i never thought so many people would respond to this thread. with nets, i do a lot of bass fishing and i use frabill nets(rubber, but i doubt they make them give enough for muskie)...they might cost more but i think they are completely worth it...they also have another landing net that i can't think of the name for but it's to boards with a net attaching them and you get the muskie in the net between the boards...i heard it was safer for the muskie but i'm not sure