Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
9,529 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Had to get out today-first day this week, for me, where the rain and chance of thunder allowed going! Thought it would be bad but that is an understatement! Hoped the cooler temps (might) slow the tide!:):(
Waves on the east end from the north wind, kneeboarders, tubers, skiers and the dreaded jetskis made it treacherous to cross the lake in a 14 ft. boat to reach the sanctuary of the long north-shore bays. The main lake was foaming! The bays turned out to be full of poontain boats with big motors who entered and left the bays with little regard for the "no wake within 100 yds of shore" reg.-as did most of the rec. boaters along the north shore of the main lake!!(Wave erosion along ALL shores at WB is terrible.) Ramping in and out was a zoo also. One small hungry LM for three hours of fishing-C&R.
Did mark a tremendous number of fish and bait balls along the north shores and bays. Learned my lesson(again!)-go to local lakes during the week(or at night)-even with a chance of storms...........Rant over!

·
Registered
2,649 Posts
I sat on my deck and looked out thinking...What a pretty day to be fishing..Then reality set in and my mind raced to all those Idiots out there flying all over the lake...As you say I've been there and done that..and swore I would never do it again....JIM......

·
river & muskie angler, dayhiker
769 Posts
a few of us have solved the weekend problem. we got canoes and float and fish the rivers. the 4th we floated for 8 hrs, only saw 4 kayakers who were not fishing. had the river to ourselves. only person at the ramp was a watercraft officer who gave our canoe a safety check.

·
Registered
154 Posts
We were at WB yesterday and it didn't seem much worse than a regular saturday to me, I think you were leaving one of the coves when my family and I were coming in, we were in a 17 foot basstracker.:)

·
Registered
4,124 Posts
my brotherinlaw and i went to clendening on the 4th and hardly anyone out a couple of pontoons and a few small boats it was nice and peacefull,and the fishing was pitifull, was still nice and quiet...

·
Registered
157 Posts
I was out on 4th, it is amazing to me you can still find clear water with all that traffic. One LM about 3lbs and a 32 inch pike. Raised the biggest muskie I have ever seen but it would not take the bait.

·
He Leads Me Beside Still Waters
668 Posts
i live in new philly how did you do on the tusc ive been doing pretty good this way for the smallies...you sure do come a ways to get to tusc.

·
river & muskie angler, dayhiker
769 Posts
i live in new philly how did you do on the tusc ive been doing pretty good this way for the smallies...you sure do come a ways to get to tusc.
our group did pretty good, the largest was 17 inches with a few between 12 and 16 inches. i have a weekend cabin down by deersville, so i go down there about every weekend.

·
Registered
1,677 Posts
Speaking of WB I was out there yesterday with the kids and tried to get some tubing and skiing action going but it was downright dangerous, everytime I thought about putting them out on the tube here come about 6 jet skis and 3 powerboats, it just didn't feel good about it, we went and tooled around the coves till after 7pm when the lake traffic drastically died down and we really had fun for about 2 hrs. of tubing.
During the height of the traffic I saw one of you musky guys trolling around the rocksprings hazard markers right dead in the bottleneck, that takes some guts.

·
Registered
3,851 Posts
Busy weekends are a mess everywhere. I thought about running to WB because of the cool weather.....sounds like staying off the water was a good choice.

It can be fun watching the ramp activity from a park bench.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts