close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

WB crappie types.

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by johnboy111711, May 19, 2004.

1. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

I know alot of guys have been doing great on crappies out there, but what types were you catching? All but two of the ones we caught the other day were black crappies and i always assumed there were more whites in there than blacks. Does anyone have any insight?

2. I know at berlin the white crappie, i think it's the males, take on a real black color in the spring. I could be wrong, but I think it's just a color phase they take on in the spring because the ones i catch frome the same area that are full of eggs are always white.

3. johnboy111711

johnboy111711 SOLID MEAT

The difference is obvious, but the male whites do make a color change. The shape and thinckness is the main trait difference that i see.

4. We were catching more blacks than whites the last couple weeks. Lots of smaller fish last Saturday. Some of the males were really darkened up. Almost looked like neon.

Carl

5. I have noticed that the male black crappie get real black especially on the bottom right before they spawn and soon after they change right back.

6. We caught a little of both on Saturday at WB. Sunday night at Berlin I also caught some nice black crappies.