Way lower Cuyahoga

Discussion in 'Northeast Ohio Fishing Reports' started by creekcrawler, May 19, 2008.

1. creekcrawler

creekcrawler Konfused Kayaker

-Fished way downstream (Harvard Roadish) Saturday.
    Watched the skies darken to the south and storm like heck, but
    we managed to stay in bright sunshine. Was hoping for a smallmouth bonanza,
    but didn't find it. My bud got two nice white bass. I got two nice
    sheepshead :( . One on a hairpin spinnerbait :confused: , the second slammed
    a Little Cleo! :confused: :confused: :confused:

2. steelheadBob

steelheadBob Robs Guide Service

next time u fish the hoga let me know, ill take u to some smallie water!!!

3. creekcrawler

Now, now, Steelheadbob. I know plenty of smallie areas.
    I've been fishin the Mighty Cuyahoga since before there were fish in it.:p

I was thinking the bigger fellas might be closer to the lake.
    I just think the smallies were being tight lipped with all the weird weather rolling through here on Saturday. We got into a few upstream a few miles, but they weren't exactly on fire...

4. steelheadBob

I know u know the hoga, ive been sneaking there here and there and found, well went to a couple of little stretches of water thats a little hike and found some really nice size smallies... and some slabs to.... cing how we both fish it just thought it would be nice to hook up :D :D :D

5. creekcrawler

Did you mean slabs - like crappies?
    That's cool- I don't think I've caught but one or two out of the river.
    I usually just hit the river when I've got a little spare time.
    If you ever see a Jeep Wrangler with kayak racks, that'd be me.
    I'll probably somewhere nearby - be sure to say hi!

Now you got me thinking, what haven't I caught out of the river.
    Here's what I can remember catching;
    Smallmouth bass
    Largemouth bass
    Rock Bass
    White bass
    Sheepshead
    Channel Cat
    Flathead cat (yes, flathead)
    Walleye
    Sunfish
    Crappie
    Bullheads
    Steelhead
    King Salmon (my bro - 34"!)
    Carp
    Mirror Carp
    Crappie
    Suckers
    Sturgeon (not me, someone else)
    Northern Pike

6. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

i was out there on sunday too, but being unfamiliar with the river had a hard time finding decent spots. most of where i was hiking was very steep banked. that and im not entirely sure what sort of gear to fish with in those spots. seemed like the river was very dirty and very fast and i wasnt really sure what to throw in.

anyways ill throw my hat in to the ring. if anyone wants to fish that river again, or is willing to help educate me, let me know. i think it would be fun to get out and learn a bit. i live in tremont real close by and i want to get out there and find the good spots. and expand my knowledge of fishing.

:)

7. Oddly enough,

fished a marina in Catawba Saturday. Never seen a smallie come out of there, yet dday caught 2. Muddy. High water. Winds blowing hard. I know that is not near the hoga, but still . . .

8. creekcrawler

By Sunday the river was flowing at 2000cfs and was at 6 foot on the gauge.
    That's way high. Some of those steep banks will be more accessable and fishable when the river comes back down.
    Watch the gauge - http://waterdata.usgs.gov/oh/nwis/uv?04208000
    The river fishes best below 800 cfs and at 3 1/2 - 4 foot at the gauge.
    It's real hard determining where to fish when the river's high and muddy.
    I'm thinking by next weekend things will be on fire!

9. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

well if youre down for some fishin next weekend or anytime this week, weather and water permitting, let me know. id be interested in learning a few things from ya and havin a good time.

while we are on the subject, aside from spinners, what else do you use? are we talking top or bottom here? using the whole width of the river, or lookin for cover where fish would be hiding? i saw quite a few fish jumpin that day but nothin ever took after my gear.

10. creekcrawler

Look for nice tailouts after some faster water or rapids.
    Rocky banks can be good too.

If you catch one bass, his buddies are nearby.

Tube jigs rule.

Can't go wrong with a 1/8 - 1/4 jighead with a curly tail.

I've been using some smaller hairpin spinnerbaits
    because they seem to be the best at avoiding snags which there are millions of in the river.

If you're not in the CVNRA, big shiners work real, real good. ;)

11. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

i never feel like i know how to fish tubes properly. they are so light that i have a hard time getting them to where i want them to be and then im not sure if you truly jig it back or do more of a straightforward reel.

what about color choices? i think what i have been testing is pumpkin seed twister tails

12. creekcrawler

Are you using the jigheads made for tube jigs?
    I really like them - I think the bass feel regular lead heads and spit them out quicker. With the jighead inside the tube, I think it feels more realistic to the bass. I throw 1/8 oz usually, 1/4 oz if I need to.
    Dark green, brown or pumpkin all seem good.
    Usually twitchy retrieve or just a slow crawl.

13. steelheadBob

I like using 1/8 black feathered crappie jigs.... Bouncing off the bottom.... just gotta love a leach...

14. Any one willing to show me around the river I would appreciate it. I have fished it a little around Kent, but was always afraid as I wasn't sure of where I could legally go without tresspassing, etc. Thanks

15. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

i got some grubs with the twisty tail and yellow headed jig heads. and then i just sorta speared the grub to make it look like the pre-assembled ones ive seen. like i said, im a bit new to all this. it seemed that i found a lot more of the artificial baits alone rather than assembled with a head and hook. so i figured thats how people did it.

you use jigs that come preassembled? what brand? grubs or minnows or some sort of crayfish look alike...?

all this info is very helpful and i am very appreciative of it :) thx guys

16. Yanky

Yanky shakesbeard

ok upon googling a bit, it seems that i am using something that is not the same as you guys. i think it might be time to head back to dicks again and look harder for what i was originally lookin for, tubes.

17. There are a ton of crappie in the Hoga, but most aren't that big (at least in my experience). I know one spot where you can catch 50 of them, but most won't be bigger than 8 inches.

Creekcrawler, what size tubes do you use on there?

18. creekcrawler

Hey Archman - Using 3" tubes. If the water gets clear, I'll try a tandem rig with two little tubes or curly tails. You definitely get a lot of hits on the tubes, but it does seem like you lose a few hook ups with them.

You guys are killing me with the crappie stories! I'm guessing I should be checking some of the slower water??

19. next time y'all go let me know i would like where i can fish on it with out being chased away

20. creekcrawler

Where were you fishing on the river that you got chased away?
    I don't know anywhere on the lower stretches that's off limits...