Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Cowboy Charters
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Anyone out there fish this lake before for the crappie or stripers? I am staying at Rhea Harbor the first week of June.
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks!

·
Cowboy Charters
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Nobody been to Watts Bar Lake in Spring City Tenn?????????

I am leaving June 1st for a weeks vacation to fish it. I will post back my results. I was hoping someone out there had some insight for me.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
I will be leaving this coming Thursday late late to head to Watts Bar. I will be staying with a friend who lives on the lake in Spring City. The crappie were biting last time I talked to my friend there. But the LM were what were on fire he said. If you PM me your cell I could call you once I get there if I find out anything else.

·
Registered
27 Posts
i live in knoxville,for stripers go up to the dam,if the water is off use live skipjack 12-16in long,u can catch them in the same area on white flies
if the water is on fish bucktail in the boil currents...and hold on they get up in the 50s there...as for crappie they will be deep of points and humps

·
Registered
105 Posts
I went down last fall (Mid-Oct 2006) and didn't get one crappie! Not even a bite! It's a great big lake to fish, and a guide would be my suggestion. Watch the points if you have your own boat, because they can get shollow very quick. I did catch a few small bass, but for three days of hard fishing it was disappointing. I've heard stories of 21" crappies there, but not in my boat.:confused:

·
Registered
251 Posts
If you are going in June the crappie will be deep. My Dad fishes the lake a couple of times a week and he is a crappie fanatic. Your best bets are to fish the deeper boat docks with minnows and tubes. many of the docks there are in 15-20ft of water and have sunken brush under it. Try the bluff just up from Terrace View resort and the boat docks near it. We always have good luck with teh crappie there. You can also drift he sluoghs in about 20 to 30 feet with minnows ad have success as well. Good luck.

·
Registered
291 Posts
i fish watts bar about 6-10 times a year. in the summer we pitch shiners to the rock bluffs. you'll catch smallies, lg mouths, spots, wipers, stripers, white bass and drum using this method. last year i caught a 12 pound striper on my ultra-lite with 6 pound test. i would post a picture but i don't know how. took a while and we had to chase him. use a circle hook so you don't kill the fish. i also put a split shot about 12 inches up the line. make sure the split shot is not to heavy. you want the shiner to flutter as he sinks very slowly. stay about 15 to 20 yards from the bluff and toss it right up against it and retrieve it very slow.

also fishing below the dam is very good. back in april we caught 11 different types of fish in about 6 hours. bandits 300 series in shad and white colors tore them up. we had a blast. big fish was an 18 pound drum. we also caught 2 cat fish over 8 pounds.

good luck down there. i will be there again the weekend of June 30.

·
Cowboy Charters
1,666 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
I am back from vacation. Ended up cleaning about 80 crappies for the week, wasn't bad at all considering I only fished around 1-2 hours a day. The rest of the time I took the family out on boat rides and tubing. Nothing big though, biggest was 13 1/2 and didn't really catch too many throwbacks (10in and below) Caught all fish on minnows in about 12-15 foot of water around docks at Rhea Harbor.
Did the cat fishing one night below the damn but only caught 1 cat around a 4lbers in about 3 hours of fishing.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts