close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

Watrercraft Rules Question

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by crankus_maximus, May 19, 2005.

1. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

This past weekend, a buddy and I were fishing a tournament at a local lake. At the end of the tournament we ended up fishing into the cove in which the ramp was located. We were within a no-wake zone and approximately 30-50 yards from the dock/ramp. As is usual procedure when fishing a tournament with a buddy, I proceded to the front deck of the boat (with life vest secured :C ) and leaned against the lean post (butt post or whatever you want to call it). The boat was under power of the outboard as my buddy drove to the dock and left me off to retrieve the rig.

During this whole process a truck with 2 watercaft officers had been watching the 30-something bass boats do the same general thing as we were coming in for weigh-in. As we loaded our boat we were approached by one of the officers and told that we were "bow-riding" and that he was giving us a verbal warning. He stated he could give us a ticket for said violation. He asked us if we understood. We did not, but to expedite the procedure we said we understood.

Afterwards we discussed what we did trying to figure out just what we did wrong. I even looked in the Rules/Laws of the Watercraft handbook and this is what I found:

Sitting, Standing, Walking on Moving Vessels Restricted
    (ORC 1547.22)
    No occupant of a vessel underway shall sit, stand, or walk on any area not designed for that movement except when immediately necessary for safe and reasonable navigation or operation. No person shall permit any occupant to violate this section. No person shall operate or permit operation of any vessel in violation of this section.

MY observations:
    1. It is an extremely gray area of the law.
    2. Everyone else was doing the same general thing (doesn't make it right - I know, I know), so why were we approached?
    3. Wouldn't most ski boats with an open bow be in violation as well?
    4. A typical bass boat will have a tag for 4 occupants, etc. A typical bass boat only has seats in the cockpit area for 3 people. Where is the fourth "legally" supposed to sit?

Any further insight from the legally responsible members of this site?

2. Fishman

Fishman Catch bait???

Sounds were excersizing your right of "reasonable navigation or operation."

3. catking

catking Banned

Yea, lets go pick on the guys that are in a no wake zone barely moving to the dock and forget about the 100 calls we recieve about snaggers below spillways or trout guys takin 20 trout home in plain view.......... Like I said JEEZE US .................THE CATKING !!!

4. Sometimes they just like to show everybody who is boss ;)

5. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

Maybe it's just a (tip) warning...I've seen guys under power with someone in the front, I knew it was dangerous, but until now I didn't know it was a violation.

6. ncraft150

ncraft150 Buckeye-Basser

I've never heard of it being a vilolation and can not find any info to back it up as a violation for a bass boat. In tournys I see guys in bass boats all the time doing it. Personally I don't do it because I'm the one driving the boat, but if my partner was ever ticketed on it I would stand up for him and fight it. We are within 20 feet of the dock when we do it and we are bareley moving. I take the posts off the seats and the kids sit in them while idling around Portage Lakes. Rangers wave to the boys and me and never say a thing. Like Truck said. Some of them just want to show you who's boss.

7. misfit

misfit MOD SQUAD

i don't think a bass boat calls for different regs.
    the regs apply to all boats,when it comes to safety.i also think the water cop was being a little technical.i'm sure the law is aimed at (all)boats while cruising at speeds,and not trolling,or cases such as was mentioned.another one of those things that is sort of blurry,and can be interpreted out of context,by inexperienced or overzealous authorities.

8. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

the type of seat you were sitting in/on is not meant to be used while underway. seats and their bases are rated for thier type of usage. i know you were close to the ramp and all,but he prolly was a rookie and needed the practice .if your boat is a bowrider w/built in seaty in front then you can ride up front .

9. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

Nothing to do with your situation but the watercraft guys need to get off the ramp and on the lake. I see way to many sitting in their vehicles instead of stoping the yahoos that blew by me in a no wake zone doing about 45mph at Portage Lakes. And the same guy that decided to take his 20 foot cuddy cabin on plane and running over our lines, also in a no wake zone. After that I was fed up with it.

Usually the watercraft guys are pretty cool to the bass fisherman or the ones in a tournament.

10. If it was Alum i have had the so called watercraft guys stop us or pull up to us while fishing to ask some crazy question or ask to see are life vest an fire ext. have a sticker on boat already showing we are approved for lake they don't seem to care. Saw them at Marina last week two sets of them in cars watching boats coming in and getting ready to go out. Probably was who you ran into. They are volunteers not the real deal but tend to think they are. I asked one last week while fishing by ramp why four of you on ramp and both boats sitting in marina. Did not even respond.

11. I have had the same thing happen to me once at Erie. We were trying to get the anchor up (its kind of difficult on a larger boat up there with the waves digging it into the mud). We had someone driving slowly while I was on the bow trying to pull it up. The ranger stopped us and said basicly the same thing he said to crankus maximo, that we were bow riding and it was illegal. So we had to sit there until the guy was out of sight and then we went along and did the same thing until we got it out. :D

12. Marshall

Marshall Catch Photo And Release

I was the buddy crankus was talking about. We did nothing wrong, all 30 boats did the same thing and we were the lucky ones to get picked on. They were not volenteers they were watercraft officers with a power issue. i bet it felt good for him to talk down to us like he did. I would have had no problem if we were out in the lake with a guy standing up front but we were very close to the ramp idling to the dock. I don't have a problem with them patrolling the lake but lets deal with the problems on the water like alcohol and people that don't understand no wake not something like pulling up to a dock to let your buddy off. This guy was a total Richard Head. On the plus side at least i did not get a ticket.

13. EDD

EDD BASS BUM

years ago on Hoover while bass fishing down the bank in a bass boat I had an watercraft officer coming down to the shore yelling to sit down in that boat. I said it's a bass boat made for standing up and ignored him, so he jump on my partner in the back saying he had to sit down. ( he did just to shut the guy up)

14. mrfishohio

mrfishohio Recovering Fishaholic

It's got me wondering now if it might be for people who have a closed bow, like a cuddy, who might try to let someone sit on it ?? In other words, maybe that's what the intent of the law was trying to prevent. :confused:

15. Mr.Bass.

Mr.Bass. Banned

OCC, I am pretty sure that was at Lake Milton not Erie.

16. crankus_maximus

crankus_maximus Crankus Baitus Maximus

As Marshall said, they were not volunteers. We did nothing different than all the other boats. You can read the law I pasted in my first post. It is a very gray area and the only thing I can figure is that he was on some power trip. As Marshall said, I wish they would spend more time in their boat on the water instead of wtaching over the ramp during tournament conditions. Usually (a generalization here), bass boats and other fishermen are some of the most law-abiding boaters on the water. We have to be for the amount of time spent on the water.

I really would have appreciated it much more if he would hav addressed us after we pulled out of the water instead of hovering over us as we were loading the boat. As you all know, that point when you are trying to make sure the boat is on the trailer right and it's hooked...is not a time for distraction. Besides, its not like we were going very far.

Thanks for the thoughts and insight guys! I can always expect opinions here! :)

17. Happened once on Erie and once on Milton. They must be cracking down on that kind of thing. However, at Erie it was the Coast Guard who stopped us. Maybe they were more concerned because it was rough out there that day.