Ohio Game Fishing banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
a.k.a. Steelhookah
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Just thought I'd share some pics from the day there were all those waterspouts off of ashtabula. It was a pretty cool day out there. At one point I counted 7 at the same time. I believe that's george's boat in the last picture, unfortunately its not as clear as the others.

·
Defensor Fortis
4,386 Posts
Great pictures. Thanks for posting them. I've never seen one before.

·
Banned
4,058 Posts
awesome pics....i do believe that is the playin hooky crew in that picture.

dang! you found my hot spot, i better find a new one i guess now huh? did you at least save me any fish?

·
Registered
72 Posts
Very common in late Oct. I used to see them a lot when I ran overnight bass trips to Pelee Island. One yr I had one turn and come right towards us on the East side of Pelee. That 4 barrel on my 454 was wide open in my old Sportcraft as we high tailed it South for a couple miles before it pulled back into the clouds. Trust me, they can cover some ground in short time.

Ray
Erie Therapy II

·
Registered
115 Posts
Educate me, because these look like mini-tornados that target anglers who should be back at home completing their chores. Are they potentially dangerous? Is this a sure sign to high-tail it off of the water? I admire it from a distance. Awesome!!!

·
"One More Time"
2,748 Posts
Educate me, because these look like mini-tornados that target anglers who should be back at home completing their chores. Are they potentially dangerous? Is this a sure sign to high-tail it off of the water? I admire it from a distance. Awesome!!!
The several times I have personally seen these off of Ashtabula, there was no lightning associated with the weather. A few times I have had multiple clouds pass by north and south of me with one to multiple water spouts coming from each of them, and the water never kicked up more than a foot where I was. These clouds passed by within 2-5 miles. While I would never want to be directly underneath one (they can have wind velocities of 70-100 mph), the wind circulation has usually been localized to the immediate vicinity of the spout. Last Thurs when the pictures were taken, there was a long line of clouds maybe 10-15 miles long with a heavy rain storm under the SE end, and waterspouts coming down all along the tail. The water kicked up a little where we were but nothing significant. I checked the direction the system was moving, and seen the storm cell would pass to our SE. Some elected to go in, while some decided to stay out fishing. Bottomline is, you need to make the call for yourself based on your comfort level and that of your crew. No one will ever criticize you for making the call on the side of safety.

·
a.k.a. Steelhookah
247 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
awesome pics....i do believe that is the playin hooky crew in that picture.

dang! you found my hot spot, i better find a new one i guess now huh? did you at least save me any fish?
I wish the fish were drawn to my thompson like they are yours george... but as always your crew completely outfished my dad and I on that day. I believe we wrapped it up a little soon as you told me later that night that the fish turned on around noon. Oh well. Tried that area again this evening, but only managed a few. Reeeeeeeeeeeal slow. I think I need to camp out in front of the harbor and follow you to the promised land some day.

·
594 Posts
Great pics MB. Thanks for sharing. Only saw a couple spouts in the past but the most memorable one was last year when it sprang up right next to the boat. I'm thinking that was on the Playin' Hooky wasn't it George?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts