close

Privacy guaranteed - Your email is not shared with anyone.

waterproofing a rainsuit?

Discussion in 'The Lounge' started by BigDaddy300, Nov 3, 2008.

1. BigDaddy300

BigDaddy300 multi species angler

I sorta remember reading a thread about a product that you use on rain suits to "re-waterproof" so to speak. I was searching but cant find it. My suit just seems to have lost some of the effectiveness as when it was new. Anyone know what I am referring to? Thanks

2. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

3. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

depends... what is your suit made of?

4. tomb

tomb Tom B.

Nik-wax is on the high end and Kiwi camp dry on the cheap side.

5. Orlando

Orlando Set The Hook!

If its Gore Tex just wash in machine with detergent , no fabric softener and put in dryer . The heat from the dryer must reactivate it? Dont know but it works

6. RareVos

RareVos Lost Sailor

You can also use a slightly hot iron to reset the outer layer. If it is leaking in around seams I would go ahead and seal and tape them up.

7. can't you spray that stuff to waterproof tents on the rainsuit?

8. Hetfieldinn

Hetfieldinn Staff Member

After many years and many rain suits, my opinion is that once their waterproofness (?) is gone, they are now a wind breaker, and not a rain suit.

9. tomb

tomb Tom B.

My goretex suit from EMS came with specific recommendation for nik-wax. Do not wash rainsuits in regular detergent unless you no longer want the outer layer to be waterproof. I strictly use Techwash. Woolite will also do the job.

Kiwi camp dry is the tent and shoe stuff. Have heard it will work, just worry about ruining a $300 suit.

http://www.nikwax-usa.com/en-us/activity/index.php?activity=OUTDOORS

10. I agree on that why would you have to waterproof a rain suit?

11. freyedknot

freyedknot useless poster

some suits only have a waterproof outer layer that is treated only,and has no gore tex membrane. columbia omni tech fabric is a treated fabric and not a gore tex product and at times it needs to be washed and reactivated with the rejuvinex product.goretex does need to be washed to get the dirt out of the pores so it can breath again.not sure on frog togs ,they may be a treated fabric too?

12. I remember reading something a while back about "scotchguard" ? or something similar that can be bought in a spray can and is used to treat fabric for stain resistance, repels water and can be used on clothing. Im not 100% sure about it but you can probably look it up on the net. Seems like Ive seen it at ace hardware or somewhere around town.